Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Mar 8, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #1,621 of 2,546
I tried to check out the detail of this IEM, ... ...I tried my best but I am not 100% sure, I can't be to be honest.

Thanks a lot for those digging. I think it may hiss, because it is quite sensitive, but I will bit the bullet and hope for the best. Here's fingers crossing for Cayin to release a firmware that could solve this problem. 

Thanks once again for the help.
My Noble K10 are more sensitive than my JH Angie, even with the higher impedance, so unfortunately they will hiss with the balanced output on the N5. I can't speak for the other Noble offerings though. That said, the single ended output is very good so I wouldn't stress too much if your sensitive IEMs hiss with balanced out. Just use the single ended connection and enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Well, the P configuration is tricky to drive because of its high impedance, single-ended is quite under-powered, and once properly powered, its experience is rewarding. So, here's hoping it won't disappoint.

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #1,622 of 2,546
Thanks a lot for those digging. I think it may hiss, because it is quite sensitive, but I will bit the bullet and hope for the best. Here's fingers crossing for Cayin to release a firmware that could solve this problem. 

Thanks once again for the help.
Well, the P configuration is tricky to drive because of its high impedance, single-ended is quite under-powered, and once properly powered, its experience is rewarding. So, here's hoping it won't disappoint.

Sorry, I missed that, what is the P configuration?

Edit: Never mind, I found it. :beerchug:

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #1,623 of 2,546
Listened to some acoustic music last night with the N5 and Sennheiser IE80 using a balanced Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable and it is the best the IE80 has ever sounded. I have a completely new perspective on the IE80 now. 

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #1,624 of 2,546
The battery issue really need to be fixed. Just today, listening with 70% + battery left, few minutes in and the N5 just went poof with a very loud pop. Ears are still hurting and hope the K10 is OK.

Ps: battery level shot up to 99% and 100% before it went poof; hope this piece of information means something in the investigation.

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #1,626 of 2,546
I really hope that the balanced output can be fixed with just firmware, or even if being sent back to the factory. Would be sad to having needs to get a new one just for that.

From what I gathered from Andy, hiss is hardware related and cannot be fixed via firmware. It would come down to your tolerance level. I personally don't like hiss, but I am quite alright with it, even with the 846.

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #1,628 of 2,546
Can you provide the link for reference? There are some 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRRS adapter that are wired to convert Hifiman 3.5mm balanced headphone to N5 2.5 balanced connection, so please check with the seller specifically before you go for these adapters.

Can you post a few links of such adapter? I'm aiming to use my RE400B with the N5 on balanced mode..

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #1,629 of 2,546
Are there any general thought how N5 compares to DX80 in sound?

Looking forward to testing between them both.

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #1,631 of 2,546
Very interesting, We always run into problem on the multi-language interface of our DAP. We have recruited a translation consultant firm to handle the UI translation but we are not capable of cross check their deliverable. Maybe we can learn something about the Russian UI from your firmware, can we adopt the UI wording you used in your firmware into our forthcoming firmware? Or better still, if you have any comment on the UI description of our N5 and N6, please feel free to PM and I'll channel the issue to the Software team and ask them to rectify the problem as soon as possible.

In fact, this apply to every other language appeared on the DAP languages selection. We have limited language competence other then the English and Chinese language, so if you can volunteer to improve our UI description, please feel free to PM me and I'll keep in touch with you when we are working on new DAP firmware down the road.

I've sent you PM, but got no answer yet :)

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #1,632 of 2,546
For me, DX80 is too dry and lifeless. While N5 is neutral too, but have nice emotional sound. But, of course, it's just my perception

Thanks for the reply!

What about areas like soundstage and separation, do you have any thoughts on these areas? 
smile.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #1,633 of 2,546
Thanks for the reply!

What about areas like soundstage and separation, do you have any thoughts on these areas? :smile:

I think soundstage is really subjective thing, as it depends on person's psychoacoustic perception. But for me, N5 have better width and instruments separation, while DX80 is a bit better in depth and layering.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #1,634 of 2,546
I think soundstage is really subjective thing, as it depends on person's psychoacoustic perception. But for me, N5 have better width and instruments separation, while DX80 is a bit better in depth and layering.

Alright, great, thanks for your help! 

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #1,635 of 2,546

I don't know, mate. I think in this hobby we take the sentiment "everyone hears things differently" a little too far. Medically speaking, it must be the rare individual who walks into a grand opera house and hears it as a small closet.

It's more likely that many folk don't know what soundstage is, or how to judge it whilst listening to their equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back