Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Feb 14, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #1,516 of 2,546
I could be way off, but I have a feeling you can use FiiO tool for that?  Both N5 and the latest FiiO DAPs use the same processor, and there are striking similarities in overall GUI and setup menu options.  Makes me wonder if GUI/controls are based on some common set of development tools licensed from the same company.

Yes, the FiiO tool works to extract and repack the firmware to be able to edit the images and coordinates and text displayed.

Feb 14, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #1,519 of 2,546
Yup. I did know that. Just didn't know if Cayin had released one yet. Figuring I might need to modify the tools slightly for the Cayin's FW mane, though. Right?

Lol, you really need to kill that autocorrect!

Yup, at least it was that simple with the N6.

:beerchug:

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #1,521 of 2,546
Anyone have any ideas why I can't get my N5 to work as an external dac since the firmware update????!!!
Anyone else have this problem? This is the third time I have asked on this forum with no replies. Cayin??

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #1,524 of 2,546
@swannie007: I'm getting sporadic warnings from OS X that the N5 is trying to draw too much power. The N5 is then disconnected as a DAC after the warning. Sometimes this happens right away. Sometimes it happens after awhile. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all. Not sure if it's something to do with N5 or OS X. Is this similar to your experience?

Feb 16, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #1,525 of 2,546

No, this is not my experience. The trouble only started after the latest firmware update???!!!! Those bloody firmware updates....grrrrr!!!
I get a message about dsd and a frequency and a massive amount of static on the output to the headphone. Seems the problem is with the latest firmware.
Anyway, any ideas would be helpful. Cheers. 
Edit: See my post #1454 in this thread for more info.

Feb 16, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #1,526 of 2,546
HELP! Downloaded the new 3.0 firmware for the N5 a little while ago and recently tried to use it as an outboard dac with my Mac and it will not work!! Worked just fine with the previous firmware but with this firmware it just gives me static and a message about dsp and 0 bits???!!! Have no idea what this means.
If anyone could help me I would be most appreciative. I posted about this previously but no response from anyone.
Before anyone asks, I did use the supplied cable, and also tried another one (just in case) as well as tried a few other daps just to make sure it wasn't my computer. My computers' system preferences does recognise the N5 dac but all I get from the N5 is static. All other functions are working just fine. Cheers. 

Weird. Any ideas Andykong?

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #1,529 of 2,546
05:20 it's just me, N5, Zen 2 and The Script - #3. Everyone else is asleep. Bliss! (Bloody insomnia).
I suppose every cloud has a silver lining :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back