Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Feb 24, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #1,546 of 2,546
You are correct, the N5 andN6 DAC chips in the above chart are mixed up. Also, the N6 runs dual DAC chips.

Another correction for you is the N5 uses the same DAC chip as in the AK380, not the Chord Mojo. Mojo does not use off the shelf DAC chips. They use proprietary code running on very powerful FPGA chips, with a proprietary filter (WTA). There is no way that Cayin would use Chord's tech. Chords amp section is very simple and the reason they can implement it is because of the design of their exceedingly good performing DAC. Just keeping the facts straight.
wink.gif

Thanks Relic! have you got or tried the N5?

I am tempted to buy the N5 but also considering the Ibasso DX80.

I am currently using the Hidizs AP100 stacked with the new Topping NX3 amp.

Any views would be appreciated from anyone who has any experience with the above DAP's

p.s. is there any other new DAP that we should consider?
devil_face.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #1,547 of 2,546
Thanks Relic! have you got or tried the N5?

I am tempted to buy the N5 but also considering the Ibasso DX80.

I am currently using the Hidizs AP100 stacked with the new Topping NX3 amp.

Any views would be appreciated from anyone who has any experience with the above DAP's

p.s. what DAC chip is the Mojo using?

They are using their own code on the Xillnix Artix FPGA chip. FPGA stands for Feild Programable Gate Array and is basically a very powerful blank slate for the programmer (Rob Watts) to make it do what they want. A couple other audio devices use a similar approach, but it's very rare and expensive to do so. So you may say the Mojo is using its own proprietary DAC, which it is.

You can read my review of the Cayin N5 in my signature. :wink_face:

I suggest you read the other reviews as well.

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #1,548 of 2,546
They are using their own code on the Xillnix Artix FPGA chip. FPGA stands for Feild Programable Gate Array and is basically a very powerful blank slate for the programmer (Rob Watts) to make it do what they want. A couple other audio devices use a similar approach, but it's very rare and expensive to do so. So you may say the Mojo is using its own proprietary DAC, which it is.

You can read my review of the Cayin N5 in my signature.
wink_face.gif

I should have known better, I realised it straight after my post.
blink.gif

I should have worded it more like - what have you not tried yet!
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #1,549 of 2,546

You can read my review of the Cayin N5 in my signature.
wink_face.gif

So basically they spent more on the DAC section and saved money by not having an Amp section?
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #1,550 of 2,546
So basically they spent more on the DAC section and saved money by not having an Amp section? :evil:

Not quite. Rob has posted extensively about his implementation which you can read in his posts. Good information that's very informative, but not really appropriate in the Cayin N5 thread.

:beerchug:

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #1,551 of 2,546
Not quite. Rob has posted extensively about his implementation which you can read in his posts. Good information that's very informative, but not really appropriate in the Cayin N5 thread.

beerchug.gif

Thanks again for your informative replies!

In a way is a pity that the N5 does not share the same DAC chip as the Mojo (as I had thought) as it would have been interesting to compare different design philosophies.

Andy paid a visit over to the Mojo thread a while back if my memory is correct, which to me shows his passion for his job which is nice to see.

Anyway I still have the N5 in the basket ready to press the point of return button but will likely hold off until I decide what to do with the Mojo I have - which I am using less than I was expecting!

Will the search ever end!
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #1,552 of 2,546

pekingduck, interesting but it seems to me that you might have got your N5 and N6 DAC chips mixed up in your chart above?

Andy, as the Cayin N5 has the same DAC chip as the mighty Chord Mojo
rolleyes.gif
I would be interested to know if you have heard the Mojo yet?

Are you/Cayin surprised that the Mojo has no traditional Amp section and would Cayin ever consider doing the same?

Thanks I got them mixed up. Fixed!

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #1,555 of 2,546
Today's rig
L3000.gif

Dudes, this Dignis case is SEXAY!!!

Yes it is, thought the same thing the first time I slipped my X3ii into it's Dignis
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #1,556 of 2,546

Yes it is, thought the same thing the first time I slipped my X3ii into it's Dignis
biggrin.gif

Remember Pod-Man, this is daytime HF!
wink_face.gif

A sad day when we have to trade in our motorbike leathers for a Dignis! 
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #1,557 of 2,546
  Remember Pod-Man, this is daytime HF!
wink_face.gif

A sad day when we have to trade in our motorbike leathers for a Dignis! 
wink.gif

True but the most important thing is that they fit
wink_face.gif

Cayin thread amendment before Andy gets me
eek.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #1,558 of 2,546
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 25, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #1,559 of 2,546
I could be way off, but I have a feeling you can use FiiO tool for that?  Both N5 and the latest FiiO DAPs use the same processor, and there are striking similarities in overall GUI and setup menu options.  Makes me wonder if GUI/controls are based on some common set of development tools licensed from the same company.

Yup. I did know that. Just didn't know if Cayin had released one yet. Figuring I might need to modify the tools slightly for the Cayin's FW mane, though. Right?

not sure where but i thought i saw a screenshot of the theme toolkit screenshot posted somewhere and it was meant for the N6.

was it the N6 thread or i saw it on erji.net..

hmm...

The closet option is to use the theme development kit for N6 and manually change all reference of N6 to N5, that should work, theoretically :D :D

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back