Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
May 18, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #211 of 3,742
The i5 is based on Android 4.4.

By apple music if you refer to ALAC and AIFF, then we support both in our DAPs: currently the N5 and N6 and the forthcoming i5 will have no problem to playback these format (upto 24/192 at least, not sure if 384kHz is supported by i5, have to check that out later).

Andy, the OP meant the Apple Music app. It's Apple's version of Spotify, Google Play Music, etc.

May 18, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #212 of 3,742
I want to replace my phobe with the i5.

The player you mentioned should works alright with i5, theoretically they should work with external DAC/amp as well, I haven't test the digital out function of i5 so far, will keep this in mind and test the i5 with our C5DAC. I don't have Chord Mojo with me, but if it works with C5DAC, it should work with MoJo.

On the other hand, if you were to use Mojo primarily, may I suggest you consider Cayin N5 as a transport? This should be a better Digital Transport for Mojo unless you want to play online music to Mojo.

The N5 form factor is similar to Mojo, has coaxial digital out, support DoP through coaxial, two TF card with upto 400GB storage. When used as a Transport, the N5 can easily last more then 20 hours of continuous playback.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 18, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #213 of 3,742
The player you mentioned should works alright with i5, theoretically they should work with external DAC/amp as well, I haven't test the digital out function of i5 so far, will keep this in mind and test the i5 with our C5DAC. I don't have Chord Mojo with me, but if it works with C5DAC, it should work with MoJo.

On the other hand, if you were to use Mojo primarily, may I suggest you consider Cayin N5 as a transport? This should be a better Digital Transport for Mojo unless you want to play online music to Mojo.

The N5 form factor is similar to Mojo, has coaxial digital out, support DoP through coaxial, two TF card with upto 400GB storage. When used as a Transport, the N5 can easily last more then 20 hours of continuous playback.
Thanks for the reply. I use the Music Player Apps so I can EQ the Mojo. For me Mojo alone with no eq lacks bass impact.

May 18, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #214 of 3,742
Forgive my ignorance but with Spotify, will we eventually have an issue as they update the app to android 6 or whatever, while the i5 stays on 4.4?

To my understanding, the new app will support Android 6, but the current app will continue to work.

According to the system requirement page of Spotify, the mobile supports are:

-- iPhone/iPad: iPhone 4 or above, iPad 2 or above, and 5th generation iPod Touch or above and with iOS 7 or above, with at least 100 MB free space and the iOS Spotify Music app (downloaded from the Apple App Store).

-- Android phone/tablet: Any device that runs Android OS version 4.0.3 or above, with at least 500 MB free space and the Android Spotify Music app (downloaded from the Apps store of Google Play or, for Kindle devices, downloaded from the Amazon Appstore).

https://support.spotify.com/us/article/spotify-system-requirements/

Apparently Spotify is fairly good in backward compatible. Android 4.0.3 probably will be their baseline for a very long time, and iPhone 4 is still working when Phone 6 is the current model, so I don't see why Spotify will cease support to Android 4.4 completely in foreseeable future (by cease support I mean you can't access to Spotify service completely).

May 18, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #215 of 3,742
Andy, the OP meant the Apple Music app. It's Apple's version of Spotify, Google Play Music, etc.

I see, so I need to create an account in Apple Music in order to test whether this will work out......

I am an Android man, so my test plan only involve Spotify, Tidal and Google Play Music. My test plan suddenly grow int o a big headache :D :D

May 18, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #217 of 3,742
We're not trying to give you a headache, Andy :p

And thanks for testing for us!
:beerchug:

Well, maybe the quickest way out is to organize a tour and outsource the testing work as early as possible. :D

May 18, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #218 of 3,742
Well, maybe the quickest way out is to organize a tour and outsource the testing work as early as possible. :D

Haha. I like how you're thinking :D

Right now, I can test with Amazon Prime Music and Google Play Music, although I'd probably mostly use i5 to listen from local storage...

May 18, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #219 of 3,742
Finally get back on track with the routine works and have sometime to share our trip to Munch High End Audio Show with fellow Cayin communities.

We had a very good show in Munich, much better then anticipated. Attracted quite a number of guest and opened up a number of dealership discussion which we have been following up at full speed. We have also product swap with one headphone company and is discussing with another headphone brand for potential cooperation down the road.

This is the first time Cayin opt for "silent" display instead of renting a showcase room for audition and demonstration in a major international exhibition. Portable/Personal audio has become the highlight of the booth and occupied more then 1/3 of the premium location. We believe this approach facilitate better communication and exposure to the general pubic as well as professional, we most likely will continue this approach in the future.

We couldn't have managed to put up such a presentable stage without local support, for this we are thankful to our Germany distributor Thomas Deyerling of Cayin Audio Distribution GmbH. He is devoted to Cayin and is one of our corner stone in Europe traditional HiFi market. On top of his professional support, he even teach us the new definition of "tea time" in German :D

The i5 is the highlight product of the show, we have visitors trying it out non-stop and we received a lot of positive feedback on the forthcoming DAP. They are lovely people and I wish I can communicate with them better.

May 18, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #221 of 3,742
Awesome German teatime!

May 18, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #223 of 3,742

THIS is what I want to see, the Meze 99 Classics beside the PSB M4U 2! Two fantastic headphones with some nice looking people checking them out! Both are my favourite headphones and IMO best in class.

beerchug.gif

May 18, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #224 of 3,742
To my understanding, the new app will support Android 6, but the current app will continue to work.

According to the system requirement page of Spotify, the mobile supports are:
https://support.spotify.com/us/article/spotify-system-requirements/

Apparently Spotify is fairly good in backward compatible. Android 4.0.3 probably will be their baseline for a very long time, and iPhone 4 is still working when Phone 6 is the current model, so I don't see why Spotify will cease support to Android 4.4 completely in foreseeable future (by cease support I mean you can't access to Spotify service completely).

Thanks. Apple is a different story to android.

We are starting to see apps losing compatibility with android in the low 4s, so I suppose there is a risk that the i5 would not be able to play spotify in a few years.

May 18, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #225 of 3,742

THIS is what I want to see, the Meze 99 Classics beside the PSB M4U 2! Two fantastic headphones with some nice looking people checking them out! Both are my favourite headphones and IMO best in class.

beerchug.gif

i want to see an audeze lcd 3 and sonorous x with it hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back