Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Nov 25, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #226 of 2,966

Decided to try the Grado HP2 with a balanced WyWires.  At first at the -15. dB setting for the Pulse, it seemed similar.  While I can't say I prefer this I decided to push the Infinity to -5.0 dB and it was like night and day.  The LC appears to be extremely sensitive to the input.  My other amps I have tried have always preferred a lower setting on the output as the felt overdriven but the LC this seems like a requirement.  Now I just need to be sure it isn't only the HP2.

In the Geek Pulse Manual it states:

Volume adjustments affect the signals for the headphone output and line outs. When using an external preamp or active speakers, the volume may seem incorrect. A volume of -0.0dB is recommended in this instance.

This would also apply to external amps.  So try -0.0 dB and see what that gets you.

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #227 of 2,966

Volume adjustments affect the signals for the headphone output and line outs. When using an external preamp or active speakers, the volume may seem incorrect. A volume of -0.0dB is recommended in this instance.

This would also apply to external amps.  So try -0.0 dB and see what that gets you.

I actually now have the HE6 playing and with the 3X gain and about 11:30 volume setting on the LC, I am actually enjoying the presentation.  Seems to be having enough current and volume to drive the HE6.  Have they sounded better yes, but they are still enjoyable now with the LC.  This tells me it should be the same for other headphones.  

On my PS Audio MKII, the sound signature doesn't really change when I use its digital volume control so I didn't think it should on the Infinity.  I will admit it was definitely an user error 
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #228 of 2,966
  I'm pretty sure you want input from your dac to the LC to be ~2 vRMS for SE, and 4 vRMS for balanced.

I freely admit my ignorance here but I'm not sure what that means in this case. II have the basic understanding that it has to do with the sine wave and DC voltage, but that's about it. Since the Infinity runs on a 9v supply, would that mean 9v x 4vRMS for balanced for the db output? I  apologize if I'm completely misunderstanding here. 

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #229 of 2,966

Thanks!

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #230 of 2,966

I actually now have the HE6 playing and with the 3X gain and about 11:30 volume setting on the LC, I am actually enjoying the presentation.  Seems to be having enough current and volume to drive the HE6.  Have they sounded better yes, but they are still enjoyable now with the LC.  This tells me it should be the same for other headphones.  

On my PS Audio MKII, the sound signature doesn't really change when I use its digital volume control so I didn't think it should on the Infinity.  I will admit it was definitely an user error 
wink.gif

Interesting and informative. On this and the Grado info.

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #232 of 2,966
Pretty much the 0 db thing.  I think the standard input voltage most single ended amps look for is 2 volts RMS, which is root mean square, which is a way of discussing a sign wave amplitude, and is something I only understand briefly when I look it up.  The balanced input on an amp is usually looking for about 4 volts RMS.  Usually, sometimes, 0 db corresponds to the 2 or 4 volts if you are trying to get a set output voltage from an amp with a volume pot.  As I reread this, it's pretty apparent that I have only a little more knowledge than you on this subject. Very little more...

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #233 of 2,966
  Pretty much the 0 db thing.  I think the standard input voltage most single ended amps look for is 2 volts RMS, which is root mean square, which is a way of discussing a sign wave amplitude, and is something I only understand briefly when I look it up.  The balanced input on an amp is usually looking for about 4 volts RMS.  Usually, sometimes, 0 db corresponds to the 2 or 4 volts if you are trying to get a set output voltage from an amp with a volume pot.  As I reread this, it's pretty apparent that I have only a little more knowledge than you on this subject. Very little more...

I appreciate you taking the time to explain in more detail.

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #234 of 2,966
Nov 27, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #235 of 2,966
I at the 150 hour mark.

With setting the Pulse Infinity at 0.0 dB and the LC in the 3X and running fully balanced in and out, the HE6 is sounding even better than 2+ days ago with the volume at roughly 10:30. The soundstage has open up with all aspects now pulling me in to the music. The bass is very controlled with a wonderful midrange and the treble just adding enough sparkle to round everything out.

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #236 of 2,966
That's great to hear!  I'll be comparing the Liquid Carbon and the Project Ember with the HE-6.  The Ember is quite amazing with the right tube.  

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #237 of 2,966
Got about 100 hours on it, then had to turn the burn in station to the Airist amp, came as part of a tour, pick up the burn in after a few days. Does sound nice, waiting to do more comparisons...

Nov 28, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #238 of 2,966
ooh yeah... I'm in, although I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered.

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #239 of 2,966
I have been burning in the Liquid Carbon for over 70 hours, and its starting to sound very nice. The bass has mellowed, and seems powerfull, without mudding up the mids. The mids are sweet, lush and textured. The highs are spot on, and do not fatigue my ears. The sound stage is medium sized, and pretty precise in the placing of instruments and vocals. H earing the Liquid Carbon sound this good, makes me wonder how fantastic the Liquid Gold must sound.

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #240 of 2,966
I have been burning in the Liquid Carbon for over 70 hours, and its starting to sound very nice. The bass has mellowed, and seems powerfull, without mudding up the mids. The mids are sweet, lush and textured. The highs are spot on, and do not fatigue my ears. The sound stage is medium sized, and pretty precise in the placing of instruments and vocals. H earing the Liquid Carbon sound this good, makes me wonder how fantastic the Liquid Gold must sound.

How does the LC fare against the Mjolnir 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back