Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Nov 25, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #212 of 2,966
The 1x or 3x doesn't make much difference at all. Seriously.

So with the Infinity at 0.0 and the LC gain on the 3x/red what level of volume is good for your Audezes?

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #213 of 2,966
  Middle button in gain selector. Push it in so it's red, otherwise you're running on 1x versus 3x. Oh, and be sure to turn the volume down before you do so!

"The center pushbutton is the gain switch. Out is 1X and in is 3X. The LED indicator will be white for 1X and red for 3X. You can hot switch the gain while listening to music."

Cheers

I've done that, but shouldn't have to for the Ether or LCD-X. They aren't that hard to drive. And going 3x makes a difference but not the one you'd think. Still the sound is distant with no energy and no bottom end. Especially compared tot he amp in the Infinity, which the LC should be superior to.

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #215 of 2,966

Almost full volume on the LC. I think something is wrong with the amp.

Yep, sounds weird. Are you connecting the Infinity to the LC with RCA or XLR cables?

Actually, why don't you PM me so we don't fill up this thread any more than we already have. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #216 of 2,966
Question for the group on volume matching with the LC and your DAC that also has an amp. Especially anyone using a Pulse Infinity although I'd appreciate feedback from anyone. I've been letting my LC burn in as recommended in the manual. I've listened to it twice, once when I got it, and once about halfway through. I usually listen to my Infinity at somewhere between -25-30db depending on the music, using either my Ether's or LCD-X's. I used a balanced cable for both headphones. When I listened through the LC those two previous times, the LC volume knob was about 1/4-1/2 way up with the Infinity volume at -25-30db. The burn in process was completed yesterday and I went to listen and the volume for the LC was way underpowered. Nothing in my set up had changed. Now I can't achieve a decent listening level even with the LC volume turned all the way up and the Infinity at -25-30db. Of course if I adjust the Infinity's volume I get more oomph out of the LC, but it's not right and still sounds underpowered compared to the Infinity.

All my cable connections are correct. I've tried balanced from the Infinity to the LC and SE also. I even tried the LC on my standard vanilla Pulse and it's the same issue. I tried different power cords too. I did e-mail Alex and he responded right away but because he's traveling he can't really look into this right now, which I completely understand with the holiday here in the states and all. But I thought I'd throw it out here to see if anyone had a suggestion? Thanks in advance.

That is the same experience I have. The Infinity needs to be closer to 0.0 dB to correctly match with the LC. I use -15.0 dB with the LC at 2:30 to drive my HE500 using the balanced out. The LC is also connected balanced to the Infinity.

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #217 of 2,966
Middle button in gain selector. Push it in so it's red, otherwise you're running on 1x versus 3x. Oh, and be sure to turn the volume down before you do so!

"The center pushbutton is the gain switch. Out is 1X and in is 3X. The LED indicator will be white for 1X and red for 3X. You can hot switch the gain while listening to music."

Cheers

Thanks, but doing that Istill need to put the LC volume almost at max to achieve sound, and then it's still really thin sounding compared to the Infinity.

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #220 of 2,966

Thanks Audio Addict. The HE500 takes a lot of power to drive, yes?

Not as much as the HE6 :)

I am definitely not having the issue you are.  

With close to 100 hours now, it is very resolving with good separation with the ability to hear the front, left and right but not getting as much depth as I would expect.  I have tried it balance using HD600 HE500 and HE560.  I even tried using balanced HE6 with the 3X gain and the Infinity at - 5.0 dB but none seemed to be the perfect match for the LC.  Of course this is only my opinion as others are having great experiences.  The balanced cables were the Red WyWires Series.

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #221 of 2,966

With close to 100 hours now, it is very resolving with good separation with the ability to hear the front, left and right but not getting as much depth as I would expect.  I have tried it balance using HD600 HE500 and HE560.  I even tried using balanced HE6 with the 3X gain and the Infinity at - 5.0 dB but none seemed to be the perfect match for the LC.  Of course this is only my opinion as others are having great experiences.  The balanced cables were the Red WyWires Series.

From what I hear that is true. Not much needs the power the HE6 does.

I hooked the LC back up to the Infinity about an hour ago after having tried it on my Vanilla Pulse this morning and getting the same result I reported on earlier. Absolutely nothing in set up has changed but some of the power that I originally experienced with the LC seems to be back. I have no idea what happened and no doubt some may think it's just me but for the life of me I can't figure out what may have happened to have the amp go soft, then come back again. Going to continue to keep it running and see.

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #222 of 2,966

From what I hear that is true. Not much needs the power the HE6 does.

I hooked the LC back up to the Infinity about an hour ago after having tried it on my Vanilla Pulse this morning and getting the same result I reported on earlier. Absolutely nothing in set up has changed but some of the power that I originally experienced with the LC seems to be back. I have no idea what happened and no doubt some may think it's just me but for the life of me I can't figure out what may have happened to have the amp go soft, then come back again. Going to continue to keep it running and see.

Since you have an Infinity, I presume you also have the 2G USB cable.  Any chance the connection with the laptop changed.  My 2G always seems to be on the loose side and occasionally get drop outs.  Just a thougt.

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #223 of 2,966

Since you have an Infinity, I presume you also have the 2G USB cable.  Any chance the connection with the laptop changed.  My 2G always seems to be on the loose side and occasionally get drop outs.  Just a thougt.

I do and I thought that also. But the connection is rock solid. And the sound from the Infinity  never wavered, only the LC.

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #224 of 2,966

Decided to try the Grado HP2 with a balanced WyWires.  At first at the -15. dB setting for the Pulse, it seemed similar.  While I can't say I prefer this I decided to push the Infinity to -5.0 dB and it was like night and day.  The LC appears to be extremely sensitive to the input.  My other amps I have tried have always preferred a lower setting on the output as the felt overdriven but the LC this seems like a requirement.  Now I just need to be sure it isn't only the HP2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back