Cannot Get HP Pavilion PC to USB output Hi Res
Oct 6, 2019 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ruthieandjohn

Stumbling towards enlightenment
(Formerly known as kayandjohn.)
My HP Pavilion PC, perhaps 2-1/2 years old all-in-one (HP 27-1a210) PC, which has multiple USB 2.0 ports and one USB 3.0 port, will NOT allow a DAC to receive anything higher than 44.1 KHz sound... no hi-res. This is based on the lights of both my Sony PHA-3 DAC/amp and my Chord Hugo DAC/amp, which indicate the incoming bit rate.

The PC runs Windows 10, all drivers on it and in the Sony PHA-3 are the current version, and both Chord Hugo and Sony PHA-3 DO show proper light colors for other hi-res sources replacing the PC. I have tried both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports.

Is my PC USB incapable of putting out hi-res audio signals in response to an off-board DAC? Or is there some setting or update I missed?

Thanks!

EDIT: I found that clicking Windows symbol, then typing Sound, then double clicking the PHA-3 "Speaker" icon, then clicking the Advanced tab, gives me a setting of sample rate and sample depth (bits), plus a menu of choices to change it to, all the way up to 376K / 32 bits or such.

Both the PHA-3 and the Hugo turn their lights on to indicate that hi-res bit rate if I change the sampling rate from its default of 48 kHz... but they do it ALWAYS, regardless of whether the file is 44.1khz 16-bit sample CD stuff, or high res. It does not choose the bit rate of the material... it just uses what I choose.

Any ideas how to make bit rate sent to device to vary according to the recording bit rate?

I found that the above problem happens also on a Windows 10 Microsoft Surface Pro 6 laptop... it is not unique to the HP Windows 10 machine (!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back