CanJam SoCal 2015, March 28-29, 2015
Feb 14, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #466 of 1,339
  Is anyone near UCLA going? I'm just a poor UCLA student who doesn't have a car and who really wants to go to this since it's CanJam here, finally, and all. I could use public transport but I want to avoid that if possible, of course.

Hey Pazz,
@dallan  and I were talking about driving together from Santa Monica. I may have to poop out if my current project isn't finished. PM me the day before or so...

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #469 of 1,339

Hey Pazz,
@dallan  and I were talking about driving together from Santa Monica. I may have to poop out if my current project isn't finished. PM me the day before or so...

Awesome! Hopefully your project goes well. Do you think you'll be going both days or just one?

And before I forget again, yes, I am in this, even if I have to take public transport after all. This will probably be my only chance to experience CanJam for a long time, so I'm definitely not missing it. 

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #471 of 1,339
Awesome! Hopefully your project goes well. Do you think you'll be going both days or just one?

And before I forget again, yes, I am in this, even if I have to take public transport after all. This will probably be my only chance to experience CanJam for a long time, so I'm definitely not missing it. 

I live by the Fullerton train station if all else fails and you have to take the public transportation pm me an I could take you the rest of the way

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #472 of 1,339
Hello Moderator and others, I'm interested to know how many of these headphones I will be able to audition at the meet - to finally cross them off of my bucket list:

* Beyerdynamic: T90p, T5p, DT-150   
* Audeze: LCD-3    
* Denon: AH-D2000, AH-D5000               
* Beoplay: H6
* Fostex: AlphaDog mod
* Sennheiser: HD25-1 II, HD 598, HD 600, HD 650
* Shure: SRH 1440, 1540 &1840. In-ears: SE 215, SE 535 or alike
* Hifiman: HE-5, HE-1000
* Stax Lambda series (SR 207, 307, 407, 507)
+ any electrostatic cans at all?
* Master & Dynamic: MH30, MH40
* Aiaiai: TMA-1

It's not vital that all these be present but these are just the one's I've been 'eyeing and probably I can discover new headphones there too. But I'm willing to bet I'm not the only head-fi'er who would like to try these, so if any of these aren't going to be on display from the exhibitors, maybe something can be worked out to make some/most/all of these available in member showcases?

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #473 of 1,339
Originally Posted by DecentLevi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

* Beyerdynamic: T90p, T5p, DT-150
* Audeze: LCD-3
* Fostex: AlphaDog mod
* Hifiman: HE-5, HE-1000

These are all vendors who are confirmed to be at CanJam. MrSpeakers who makes the Alpha Dogs will be there. Moon Audio had a large selection of headphones at RMAF so they may be bringing those with them as well. Their list included several that are on your list. And then there's the member showcase which will have a LOT of gear as well. You'll probably get to hear the majority of the headphones on your list at this meet.

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #474 of 1,339
Yes, looks like this will be "THE ONE".

Of course. If you've been wondering how my modded ATH-ES10 sounds like, then you'll finally get the chance. 
biggrin.gif

Plus I'll bring along what I consider to be the best portable rig for it: an iPod Nano 7th Gen coupled to the elusive TTVJ Millett Portable Tube Hybrid that I modified a little bit for a cleaner sound and bigger soundstage. So please bring your ESW10JPN if you'd like to give this one a whirl.

Teaser: (oh, and that LCD-2 is also modded)

beerchug.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #475 of 1,339

Quote:

Of course. If you've been wondering how my modded ATH-ES10 sounds like, then you'll finally get the chance. 
biggrin.gif

Plus I'll bring along what I consider to be the best portable rig for it: an iPod Nano 7th Gen coupled to the elusive TTVJ Millett Portable Tube Hybrid that I modified a little bit for a cleaner sound and bigger soundstage. So please bring your ESW10JPN if you'd like to give this one a whirl.

Teaser: (oh, and that LCD-2 is also modded)

beerchug.gif

I was going to bring all of the headsuit headphone lineup except the es10 which i sold because it was the weakest imo, or i just didn't like the sound signature as much. BUT, i can only come for one day and the morning may even be work dependent. So best that i don't bring a bunch of stuff. 

That said i may bring the esw9ltd in that it seems to be my most used phone at the time, along with the ak120/Hugo set up just to use as a comparison to other systems. I find audio memory is horrible and so at least having a baseline is a good thing. My normal set up at this point is macbook/Amarra Symphony->Hugo->Zana Duex-> either the HD800 or the W3000anv. Occasionally I go to the v200 and use the Ultrasone ed8 or SigPro or even DX1000 headphone to mix things up though. Pain to bring all that to get a baseline though.

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #476 of 1,339
@dallan, I understand. I wouldn't want to bring too much, either, hence why I'm trying to go for a more portable setup this time around. Will bring all of my modded gears, though.

Would love to give the Ak120/Hugo setup a try myself. I've been contemplating an AK120 in place of that iPod Nano. Zana Deux is boss, though. God... I still wish I'd save up enough for a unit one of these days. Such an insanely good amp.

Would love to check out the ESW9LTD, too. I have heard about it, but I haven't actually heard it, of course.

Looks like this meet will be "the one" for me, too. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #477 of 1,339
When I first jumped from the iPod with a line out dock to the HM801 it was just this bliss of high end portable. I got the same feel when I added the Hugo to my profolio. May be my best ever piece of audio equipment. You are mor than welcome to plug in, I will bring the camera kit if u have an iPhone with music of your own. Yes I am curious about the es10 mod as I had them for a while too. The only issue I have with the esw11ltd is that the pair I boought used has a recable that is slightly too rigid for me and the plug needs an extension to fit in the Hugo, otherwise I like it better than the es10 by a margin. The es10 had too much bass emphasis.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #478 of 1,339
Oh, I see. Well, I do have an iPhone, but I can supply my own camera kit so you won't have to bring yours.

I also snuck a listen to the ESW11LTD, but it was a bit too warm, thick, and dark. I like dark, but not when it's too warm and too syrupy. The ES10 stock indeed had too much bass. So I modded the ES10 to get more clarity, reduce the bass, and bring the vocal forward. My pair probably sounds nothing like the stock pair. In fact, it's the same for my LCD-2. It won't sound anything like stock.

But well, you'll get to hear them anyway, and then you can form your own opinions then. I'm looking forward to it, too!
beerchug.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #479 of 1,339
Hey all,

I'll be going to CanJam, and I'm giving a heads up to anyone that would be interested that I'll be selling my Sennheiser HD598 and Ultimate Ears TF10s only at CanJam. Let me know here if there's any interest, and yes, I got the go ahead from a Head Fi authority to do this. Looking forward to seeing all the fun stuff and hanging with the party people while I'm there.

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #480 of 1,339
Right now it looks like I might be able to go on Saturday for 2 to 3 hours. That could change either direction, but for now I want to assume that I am going even if only for a limited time.
That said, I wonder if I'll be able to try the headphones of interest in their native states. In other words, no mods to the headphones or sources, just straight plug into a receiver and CD player or turntable. I like real world application in demo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back