CanJam SoCal 2015, March 28-29, 2015
Feb 5, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #421 of 1,339
Good thing there are 2 days :)  I imagine word will spread via the impressions thread after day 1 about what people need to make sure they check out day 2.

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #422 of 1,339
... And having us all share CanJam SoCal avatars and signatures helps to amplify the marketing, advertising and social media efforts that we are already engaged in. I realize that asking people to sacrifice some avatar and signature may preseny an undue burden and hardship, and so I only suggest it to those who are ready, willing and able to help. ...

Avatar ripped. Signature modified. I feel empowered.
I shall now go post. Somewhere. W00t.

Feb 6, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #423 of 1,339

Avatar ripped. Signature modified. I feel empowered.
I shall now go post. Somewhere. W00t.

Cool! Will be great to finally meet you!
beerchug.gif

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #425 of 1,339
You mean that no one told you about the "Secret Society of Head-Fi Honorable Huggers"?
wink_face.gif

Surely you must know the password already: "Sorry about your wallet"!  
smile.gif

Feb 7, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #426 of 1,339
As for banners and ads, I'd like to note that Jude and Joe have continually front-paged this thread since we first announced it, as well as featured it in the sidebar. We'll also be running ads on Head-Fi for unregistered and logged-out users. However, I personally disagree with heavy ad bombardment towards registered or logged-in members... even if it is for a good cause near and dear to my heart like CanJam SoCal. And so, I ask those interested in doing such, to help spread the word... as I have for every event I've helped organize. I believe in the power and the strength of this community, to which I volunteer my time and service, to rally itself. And having us all share CanJam SoCal avatars and signatures helps to amplify the marketing, advertising and social media efforts that we are already engaged in. I realize that asking people to sacrifice some avatar and signature may preseny an undue burden and hardship, and so I only suggest it to those who are ready, willing and able to help. My apologies for the imposition to those who are not interested in doing so, and my gratitude to those who have sacrificed their avatars and signatures.
smily_headphones1.gif

I meant to suggest "a few more ads in strategic places," not heavy ad bombardment.

And I totally don't understand your call for either avatars or signatures, and how you expect that to help, when: (1) Larger, more visually-obvious ads across the site would catch more attention from more people who may visit only particular sub-forums (going back to my previous point), (2) members can choose to hide signatures (not saying everyone does, but certainly there are some people who enable that option), (3) member avatars link to that member's profile, and not this thread, (4) the avatar itself isn't very clear on what it's for, especially due to the small text, (5) all avatars in general get extra-small on the mobile version of the site, and that avatar in particular becomes unreadably tiny on the mobile site, (6) the mobile version of the site doesn't display signatures.

Not that the avatar/signature suggestion is a bad one, but I'd assert that the benefits of that are only reaped on users who have extremely high rates of posting (on the order of several posts per day) across the various sub-forums on Head-Fi, since their posts would be the most visible, and currently there's no one here (in this thread) that meets that criteria. I can think of several such "top posters" off the top of my head, and it's likely that none of them are aware of this thread.

Again, no offense is meant here, and I'm well aware that one of the event organizers holds an MBA, but it seems like your efforts at marketing are misplaced when you're mentioning "social media." All of the people who would attend CanJam are right here on Head-Fi—the active members, the lurkers, the casual readers. I don't understand why any effort at all would be put into something off-site like on Facebook or Twitter. Anyone interested in headphone audio ultimately ends up here, not on some other site.

And at this point, the longer you guys wait to put up ad banners, the less chance you have at realistically getting out-of-state (or otherwise long-distance) travelers to attend.....

Feb 7, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #429 of 1,339

I meant to suggest "a few more ads in strategic places," not heavy ad bombardment.

And I totally don't understand your call for either avatars or signatures, and how you expect that to help, when: (1) Larger, more visually-obvious ads across the site would catch more attention from more people who may visit only particular sub-forums (going back to my previous point), (2) members can choose to hide signatures (not saying everyone does, but certainly there are some people who enable that option), (3) member avatars link to that member's profile, and not this thread, (4) the avatar itself isn't very clear on what it's for, especially due to the small text, (5) all avatars in general get extra-small on the mobile version of the site, and that avatar in particular becomes unreadably tiny on the mobile site, (6) the mobile version of the site doesn't display signatures.

Not that the avatar/signature suggestion is a bad one, but I'd assert that the benefits of that are only reaped on users who have extremely high rates of posting (on the order of several posts per day) across the various sub-forums on Head-Fi, since their posts would be the most visible, and currently there's no one here (in this thread) that meets that criteria. I can think of several such "top posters" off the top of my head, and it's likely that none of them are aware of this thread.

Again, no offense is meant here, and I'm well aware that one of the event organizers holds an MBA, but it seems like your efforts at marketing are misplaced when you're mentioning "social media." All of the people who would attend CanJam are right here on Head-Fi—the active members, the lurkers, the casual readers. I don't understand why any effort at all would be put into something off-site like on Facebook or Twitter. Anyone interested in headphone audio ultimately ends up here, not on some other site.

And at this point, the longer you guys wait to put up ad banners, the less chance you have at realistically getting out-of-state (or otherwise long-distance) travelers to attend.....

So, have you approached the organizers to offer your apparent expert help on this, or are you just criticizing them on the forum and telling them all the ways they are doing it wrong?  Sounds like you could be very helpful with all your good ideas of how to do this "the right way"...
blink.gif

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #430 of 1,339
  Looks like I'll be arriving on Friday afternoon.

Please let me know of any group hugs on Friday night!

Whoa since when do head fiers do group hug nights and how come I'm not invited

Uh, no thank you.
confused.gif

Now this man needs a hug

(Just messing around man clearly autocorrect got the best of immtbiker)

Group hugs = Hangin' out with the gang!

A large part of the joy of a Head-Fi meet, is being able to party (food and grub) before and after the main event
with a group of closely knit, common interest hobbyists, who all have one common goal: Having fun and sharing info!

This is what we excel at 
smile.gif

Guaranteed good time for all who attend.

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #431 of 1,339
So much good stuff, so little time! 

If only we didn't have to work for a living. Takes up too much precious listening time. - Aaron

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #432 of 1,339

A large part of the joy of a Head-Fi meet, is being able to party (food and grub) before and after the main event
with a group of closely knit, common interest hobbyists, who all have one common goal: Having fun and sharing info!

This is what we excel at 
smile.gif

Well said!  
smile.gif
  Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights will be packed with fun!

Also, and I would welcome anyone to join me, but I have a very specific morning ritual when it comes to audio shows.  I wake up way early, head down to whichever hotel restaurant has the breakfast buffet, and then load up on protein.  I do this so that I can skip lunch, because lunch encroaches upon valuable show time.  Going with a high protein and low carb breakfast usually does the trick.

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #433 of 1,339
Member Showcase Update!  
beerchug.gif

As of a few moments ago, the first batch of member showcase invitations have been sent out.  I'll be giving everyone in that first batch about 72 hours to respond before I open up the tables.  But if you'd like to get a head start, please feel free to start PMming me with your table requests now.  
smile.gif

Please note that all member showcase participants must be prepared to show their gear on both days of the show (Saturday and Sunday), and will need to provide me with some fairly detailed gear lists, as well as a brief narrative about what they were going for (sonically).

Thanks everyone!

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #434 of 1,339

This is what we excel at 
smile.gif

Oh, that's what that means.
I'm not a party person anyway either. I don't do well in a room full of people I do not know. (If I'm busy doing something though, as in work not eating or what have you, I'm ok).
For me personally, I look at headphones as a necessary evil of sorts, something I have to use on occasion, so I'm not much for talking about them and such,so I can't really bring anything to the party if you know what I mean.
Besides, right now it looks like I will not be able to make it anyway. That could change, but I'll know down the road. Besides, the area is kind of rough in my book, so I'm not real keen about it. So I'm kind of take it or leave it right now.

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #435 of 1,339
Well said!  :smile:   Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights will be packed with fun!

Also, and I would welcome anyone to join me, but I have a very specific morning ritual when it comes to audio shows.  I wake up way early, head down to whichever hotel restaurant has the breakfast buffet, and then load up on protein.  I do this so that I can skip lunch, because lunch encroaches upon valuable show time.  Going with a high protein and low carb breakfast usually does the trick.

Been there, done that! Warren is great company at breakfast but boy he gets busy after that. Great times.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back