Can I Simply SEE The DSD Files On A Super Audio CD From My PC's CD ROM?
Dec 5, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #46 of 56
I converted the 88/24 to 44/16.  In this case I converted and played them both directly from JRiver though an Oppo HA-2 to my AKG phones.  This procedure removed on additional variable. Volume levels were the same.

I am not going to download foobar just to do the ABX test.  

By the way you can do this yourself - even without an SACD player or ripper.  As long as you can convert a DSD file to another format.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/96619/Creedence_Clearwater_Revival-Willy_And_The_Poorboys-DSD_Single_Rate_28MHz64fs_Download

Dec 5, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #48 of 56

Again, no, it is not a set percentage. The percentage depends on how many trials are done. If you look at that link, it's 9/10 if there are 10 trials, and 15/20 if there are 20 trials. I share links to show you explanations for why things are so that you may avoid making erroneous assumptions. For example, you said you know the difference between the two, then insisted upon a set percentage anyway, indicating that you in fact did not know the difference.

Ok but what's the difference between 9/10 and 90% and 15/20 and 75%?

I said the percentage because no one on here is gonna by a confidence level. I mean, come on man. Are you f'ing kidding me?  

Dec 5, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #49 of 56
  I am not going to try to jury-rig some kind of ABX tesing.  I can hear a difference.  I can hear it comparing the two layers, and I can hear it when when I conver from 88/24 to 44/16.  In the end the only way to determine if you hear a difference is to listen for yourself.  

jeg, 

It was just a request, and that's all. You don't have to do it. 

Jury-rig? There's nothing about an ABX test that's rigged if you don't know what version of a song is playing. When I did them before they weren't rigged. The complete opposite actually. 

When I did them before (both ABX and not), I could never hear a difference, at least not consistently. So I'm always hesitant to believe it from other people is all. And I was using equipment that was similar to what you had too (AKG headphones, amp/DAC or else Sony Walkman, etc). 

Dec 5, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #50 of 56
  Ok but what's the difference between 9/10 and 90% and 15/20 and 75%?

I said the percentage because no one on here is gonna by a confidence level. I mean, come on man. Are you f'ing kidding me?  

I gave you the link (multiple times, despite your objections) if you want to learn about why these distinctions exist. You have to play by the rules if you want to do objective tests. For example, getting 75% correct on 7 (or 10) trials is meaningless. Again, you can't use a set percentage; the required percentage depends on the number of trials. It's not determined by percentage, but by something else, which you can read about if you want to know more.

To do things properly, all you need to do is consult the chart on that link. You don't need to calculate the numbers yourself.

Jury-rig? There's nothing about an ABX test that's rigged if you don't know what version of a song is playing. When I did them before they weren't rigged. The complete opposite actually. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_rigging

It's not what you think it is.
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #51 of 56
Further confirmation from Steve Hoffman himself: 

Member Services <memberservices@stevehoffman.tv>

6:55 PM (4 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Both the CD and SACD sections are from a split feed from the original.  
Steve 

I also asked if they have any set plans to release have a Hybrid SACD release for Rage's 3rd & 4th albums. I'll post here if I hear back. Also sent Audio Fidelity the same question. 

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #52 of 56

jeg, 

It was just a request, and that's all. You don't have to do it. 

When I did them before (both ABX and not), I could never hear a difference, at least not consistently. So I'm always hesitant to believe it from other people is all. And I was using equipment that was similar to what you had too (AKG headphones, amp/DAC or else Sony Walkman, etc). 

My ears and impressions should not be the basis for your decision.

See also http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/a-note-about-abx-dbt-blind-testing-and-the-sh-forums.278682/

And that's my last word on the topic.

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #53 of 56
Audio Fidelity's response to the question of if they will release the 3rd and 4th Rage albums in Hybrid SACD as well..............................................

Marshall Blonstein

10:42 AM (12 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Hi,

It depends on sales of Evil Empire.  If our expectations are met we will continue releasing more Rage Against the Machine titles.

Marshall Blonstein - President
Audio Fidelity-Morada Music
79 E. Daily Dr. #507 
Camarillo, CA  93010
Phone:  (805) 445-6464
Fax:      (805) 445-6455
mb@audiofidelity.net
www.audiofidelity.net

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #54 of 56
  My ears and impressions should not be the basis for your decision.

See also http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/a-note-about-abx-dbt-blind-testing-and-the-sh-forums.278682/

And that's my last word on the topic.

They aren't. But whether or not I agree with someone doesn't mean I don't want to hear their opinion. 

And I'm pretty sure this convo never got anywhere NEAR that bad. lol 

Anyway, I'll prob just grab the CD layer off the SACD. 

Apr 18, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #56 of 56
No it is not. You cannot read an SACD without special hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back