Campfire Audio Limited "Flower" Edition Solaris
May 4, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #46 of 68
I listen to lots of different genres: blues-rock, jazz (from bebop to the most modern jazz), soul, pop, classic rock, prog rock, heavy metal, stoner, punk rock, instrumental music... I do not listen to EDM (at all), and only rarely to rap, however - so if those genres are what you listen to most of the time, maybe my advice will not help you a lot!

What I can say is that Solaris (OG / SE / 2020 / LE) work very well with all the genres of music that I listen to - there is no genre for which I would "avoid" Solaris. When listening to certain genres, and depending on what part of the frequency range (usually: on what instrument) I want to "put the focus on", I might play a little bit with the DAP's equalizer (Cowon Plenues are incredibly great in this respect), and I always manage to reach a very good result...

I would say that Solaris are engaging like an Andromeda (but not as engaging as Sony's IER-Z1R - as I see that you had those too).

One important thing to consider with Solaris is actually the fit - the big shell (on the OG / SE and LE) does not fit every ear. (However, I have to say that when I first got the Solaris OG (2 years ago), I couldn't listen to them for more than 1 / 1,5 hours straight, but that I think that I kind of got used to the feel, and that now, I can keep them in my ears for at least 3 to 4 hours without any problem!)

If you have the possibility, the best would certainly be to get to try them for a few hours and see how the shell works for you...

Of course, the Solaris 2020's smaller shell may be a good solution in this respect, but I have to say that I find the 2020's to be just a little bit inferior to the SE / LE and even to the OG.

Now, if you are a fan of the Andromeda 2020 (and that you already know that they fit your ears perfectly), you could also go with the Andromeda Gold, as they are still in the same "family" as the Andromeda OG but are (in my view) different enough to justify having both (not everyone may agree though)...
Thank you for all the info! Would you find that the non-2020 Solaris's comfort level to be similar to the IER-Z1R? I found IER-Z1R shape to bearable enough for me, but the weight is what bothered me a lot

May 4, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #47 of 68
Thank you for all the info! Would you find that the non-2020 Solaris's comfort level to be similar to the IER-Z1R? I found IER-Z1R shape to bearable enough for me, but the weight is what bothered me a lot
You're welcome, happy to share my experience / point of view :)

I would say that the Solaris's are a little bit lighter and (thus) more comfortable than the IER-Z1R, actually. I love the IER-Z1R and I can wear them without too much discomfort for 2 to 3 hours straight at least, but indeed, they seem to be just a little bit heavier than the Solaris's.

I would say that if the IER-Z1R are ok for you (in terms of comfort), chances are that the Solaris's will be ok for you too.

The IER-Z1R and Solaris's are very different in terms of sound / sound signature, though. To me, the IER-Z1R are more "fun" or "punchy" (with this big, heavy bass / sub-bass, and the more V-shaped sound signature), and the Solaris's are more "relaxed" but also "clinical" (especially with regards to mids)... But both are definitely on the same "quality" level (in terms of definition, accurateness, etc.).

May 4, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #48 of 68
The Z1Rs are heavy and have shorter nozzles-- it wasn't until I used them with Azla Sedna tips that I totally mastered the fit...I would agree that Z1R is more "fun sounding" but Solaris wins in terms of staging grandeur (though not by much).

Looking at your sig @Raf2411 perhaps an all Solaris shootout is in order.

May 5, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #49 of 68
You're welcome, happy to share my experience / point of view :)

I would say that the Solaris's are a little bit lighter and (thus) more comfortable than the IER-Z1R, actually. I love the IER-Z1R and I can wear them without too much discomfort for 2 to 3 hours straight at least, but indeed, they seem to be just a little bit heavier than the Solaris's.

I would say that if the IER-Z1R are ok for you (in terms of comfort), chances are that the Solaris's will be ok for you too.

The IER-Z1R and Solaris's are very different in terms of sound / sound signature, though. To me, the IER-Z1R are more "fun" or "punchy" (with this big, heavy bass / sub-bass, and the more V-shaped sound signature), and the Solaris's are more "relaxed" but also "clinical" (especially with regards to mids)... But both are definitely on the same "quality" level (in terms of definition, accurateness, etc.).
The Z1Rs are heavy and have shorter nozzles-- it wasn't until I used them with Azla Sedna tips that I totally mastered the fit...I would agree that Z1R is more "fun sounding" but Solaris wins in terms of staging grandeur (though not by much).

Looking at your sig @Raf2411 perhaps an all Solaris shootout is in order.
Wow this is definitely a hard decision whether I should go with the Solaris. Fit should be okay with me then. What is starting to concern me is the relaxed signature. The U12T to me is just a bit too relaxed to my liking, so if the Solaris is that way, I imagine that won't be for me as well.

May 5, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #50 of 68
Wow this is definitely a hard decision whether I should go with the Solaris. Fit should be okay with me then. What is starting to concern me is the relaxed signature. The U12T to me is just a bit too relaxed to my liking, so if the Solaris is that way, I imagine that won't be for me as well.
What type of sound are you looking for? Looking at your current lineup I’d say the Solaris would be the more complimentary. It isn’t relaxed like the U12t, it’s just not as in your face as the Z1R... it’s just very balanced with a unique presentation.

May 6, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #51 of 68
What type of sound are you looking for? Looking at your current lineup I’d say the Solaris would be the more complimentary. It isn’t relaxed like the U12t, it’s just not as in your face as the Z1R... it’s just very balanced with a unique presentation.
Tbh I wish I knew, but I'll try different approach. Every time I think I know what I want, turns out that's not entirely it once I hear it. Let me know if this is helpful.

I am mainly looking to have 2-3 main IEMs. Current keeper since it's custom is my EE LX. Next IEM I think I am searching for is a musically engaging warm neutral. I really enjoy U12T's bass, but overall U12T is just a tad too relaxing. MEST is too aggressive for what I am looking for and mainly favors rock which is not the genre I generally listen to. Andromeda is not quite as technical as I like at least compared to the 1.5k to 2k+ IEMs that I have tried. Atlas is meh, but I enjoy original Vega from what I remember. LX and IER-Z1R to me has a balanced sound signature. I don't generally gravitate to straight warm headphones/IEMs with the exception of Meze Empyrean but I do love large quantity of bass (so I usually take LX and bass boost it). Although Dorado 2020 seems a little enticing for some reason (but haven't heard it). Just received VE Elysium and mids sounds really nice, but not sure yet how I feel about treble and bass. I do like the little dip in the upper mids that the Andromeda and U12T has.

I primarily listen to electronic, edm, pop, rap, rnb. Occasionally instrumentals and rock. Some artists I enjoy are Billie Eilish, Lorde, Sam Smith, Kanye West, Linkin Park, Alicia Keys, Daft Punk, Zedd, Old school Dr. Dre, Dua Lipa, Hans Zimmer, Daft Punk, Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox, Taylor Swift, Glass Animals, The Weeknd, Justin Timberlake, and more.

Edit: I did enjoy IER-Z1R, but I wanted more bass rumble at the time lol. Also heavy for me. I am considering rebuying it now that I have learned a lot since I last tried the IER-Z1R. Out of U12T, Elysium, MEST Mk2, Andromeda 2020, I seem to be enjoying Elysium the most so far.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #52 of 68
Tbh I wish I knew, but I'll try different approach. Every time I think I know what I want, turns out that's not entirely it once I hear it. Let me know if this is helpful.

I am mainly looking to have 2-3 main IEMs. Current keeper since it's custom is my EE LX. Next IEM I think I am searching for is a musically engaging warm neutral. I really enjoy U12T's bass, but overall U12T is just a tad too relaxing. MEST is too aggressive for what I am looking for and mainly favors rock which is not the genre I generally listen to. Andromeda is not quite as technical as I like at least compared to the 1.5k to 2k+ IEMs that I have tried. Atlas is meh, but I enjoy original Vega from what I remember. LX and IER-Z1R to me has a balanced sound signature. I don't generally gravitate to straight warm headphones/IEMs with the exception of Meze Empyrean but I do love large quantity of bass (so I usually take LX and bass boost it). Although Dorado 2020 seems a little enticing for some reason (but haven't heard it). Just received VE Elysium and mids sounds really nice, but not sure yet how I feel about treble and bass. I do like the little dip in the upper mids that the Andromeda and U12T has.

I primarily listen to electronic, edm, pop, rap, rnb. Occasionally instrumentals and rock. Some artists I enjoy are Billie Eilish, Lorde, Sam Smith, Kanye West, Linkin Park, Alicia Keys, Daft Punk, Zedd, Old school Dr. Dre, Dua Lipa, Hans Zimmer, Daft Punk, Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox, Taylor Swift, Glass Animals, The Weeknd, Justin Timberlake, and more.

Edit: I did enjoy IER-Z1R, but I wanted more bass rumble at the time lol. Also heavy for me. I am considering rebuying it now that I have learned a lot since I last tried the IER-Z1R. Out of U12T, Elysium, MEST Mk2, Andromeda 2020, I seem to be enjoying Elysium the most so far.

I would seriously consider the Dorado.

May 6, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #53 of 68
I would seriously consider the Dorado.
I'm considering it. Is it similar to Atlas? I wasn't a fan of the Atlas which is what's stopping me from trying it. Felt like I was missing too much air or detail due its warmth

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #54 of 68
I'm considering it. Is it similar to Atlas? I wasn't a fan of the Atlas which is what's stopping me from trying it. Felt like I was missing too much air or detail due its warmth

Dorado is an Atlas with a bit less bass and a BA for highs. It's still definitely a warm IEM but it's got better detail retrieval, better highs and less mid-bass bloom. In some ways it's a mid-point between the Atlas and Solaris if that makes sense.

May 6, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #55 of 68
Dorado is an Atlas with a bit less bass and a BA for highs. It's still definitely a warm IEM but it's got better detail retrieval, better highs and less mid-bass bloom. In some ways it's a mid-point between the Atlas and Solaris if that makes sense.
Sweet, would you say it sounds warmer than the Z1R or LX? Or just different experience in general?

May 6, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #56 of 68
Sweet, would you say it sounds warmer than the Z1R or LX? Or just different experience in general?

RE Z1R-- Dorado has more mid-bass/lower mid presence but the upper mids are recessed behind the bass a little (whereas basically the inverse is true on the Z1R)...but I would consider Dorado warmer on the whole...though it kind of depends what you're listening to.

LX-- LX has more mid-range resolution but I find the signature much more bass heavy...in fact suffocating to listen to with some music or longer listening sessions. I'm much more conscious of the bass permeating every aspect of the sound on the LX despite the fact that it's got a more resolved midrange..

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #57 of 68
RE Z1R-- Dorado has more mid-bass/lower mid presence but the upper mids are recessed behind the bass a little (whereas basically the inverse is true on the Z1R)...but I would consider Dorado warmer on the whole...though it kind of depends what you're listening to.

LX-- LX has more mid-range resolution but I find the signature much more bass heavy...in fact suffocating to listen to with some music or longer listening sessions. I'm much more conscious of the bass permeating every aspect of the sound on the LX despite the fact that it's got a more resolved midrange..

I'd like to add that LX is very sensitive to sources and cables. For instance, I had much the same experience as @Rockwell75 with the Kann Cube and it wasn't until I had gotten a more neutral / brighter source in the SE200, and now In the Hugo 2 that the LX comes across as very neutral actually (until you prod the bass with a stick). With the Kann Cube which has accentuated bass and a more natural signature, bass seemed to permeate all music and notes were much thicker, making for much more of a niche listen. I think @Skullar can attest to this after hearing the LX with the SE200... it reacts quite differently to various sources.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #58 of 68
I'd like to add that LX is very sensitive to sources and cables. For instance, I had much the same experience as @Rockwell75 with the Kann Cube and it wasn't until I had gotten a more neutral / brighter source in the SE200, and now In the Hugo 2 that the LX comes across as very neutral actually (until you prod the bass with a stick). With the Kann Cube which has accentuated bass and a more natural signature, bass seemed to permeate all music and notes were much thicker, making for much more of a niche listen. I think @Skullar can attest to this after hearing the LX with the SE200... it reacts quite differently to various sources.

My source with the LX was the E01 board with the n6ii, a source which is definitely tilted towards the brighter end of the spectrum. I never really had an issue with it until I loaned out my Solaris and had the LX as my only IEM for about a month. After two weeks I found them almost suffocating to listen to and the conclusion for me was that, given my library and listening preferences, the LX didn't really work for me as an all rounder and I ended up selling them after that as I couldn't justify the cost. I still think they're a great IEM and if you listen to mostly hip hop or modern pop then they're arguably peerless. Both the Dorado 2020 and Solaris are more versatile IEMs relative to my tastes and needs.

May 6, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #59 of 68
My source with the LX was the E01 board with the n6ii, a source which is definitely tilted towards the brighter end of the spectrum. I never really had an issue with it until I loaned out my Solaris and had the LX as my only IEM for about a month. After two weeks I found them almost suffocating to listen to and the conclusion for me was that, given my library and listening preferences, the LX didn't really work for me as an all rounder and I ended up selling them after that as I couldn't justify the cost. I still think they're a great IEM and if you listen to mostly hip hop or modern pop then they're arguably peerless. Both the Dorado 2020 and Solaris are more versatile IEMs relative to my tastes and needs.
Oh really? I thought all of the cards with the N6II were on the warmer side ... I believe that board also uses the same DAC chip thats used in a dual config on the Kann Cube? Either way, I had the same experience and found it a lot more versatile after switching up sources but my music library probably looks a lot different to yours so who knows.

May 6, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #60 of 68
Oh really? I thought all of the cards with the N6II were on the warmer side ... I believe that board also uses the same DAC chip thats used in a dual config on the Kann Cube? Either way, I had the same experience and found it a lot more versatile after switching up sources but my music library probably looks a lot different to yours so who knows.

I just checked that out and you're right-- the Cube has the same DAC as the E01. I never found it particularly warm...at least as compared to the A01 board and the Sony ZX300 I was coming from at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back