Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jun 6, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #1,382 of 9,829
  I think cause he wants something he can go out with, and plus the Ether C looks ugly on his head and heavy.

People don't walk around the mall with Ether C's? Lol
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #1,383 of 9,829
Hi I currently have an Ether C and Noble Savant.  I am considering selling both and picking up the Andromeda and when released the ALO continental v5 to go with my mojo.  I LOVE my Ethers and I like my savants.  For those of you who have heard all of the ones I listed, would I be missing anything?  Is the Andromeda as good as or better than the Ether C's.  I've been more inclined to listen to the Savants everywhere as opposed to the C's just at home, so they aren't getting used much.  The Ether C sound signature is just about perfect for me.  I could take a hint more bass but that's about it. Would the Andromeda bass be too much or too warm for me overall?  Unfortunately I can't get to any meets to try them out.  Thanks!

I think the andromeda is a little like the savant, but much improved in almost all ways, it is to me what I had hoped the savants to be :)

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #1,384 of 9,829
  Hi I currently have an Ether C and Noble Savant.  I am considering selling both and picking up the Andromeda and when released the ALO continental v5 to go with my mojo.  I LOVE my Ethers and I like my savants.  For those of you who have heard all of the ones I listed, would I be missing anything?  Is the Andromeda as good as or better than the Ether C's.  I've been more inclined to listen to the Savants everywhere as opposed to the C's just at home, so they aren't getting used much.  The Ether C sound signature is just about perfect for me.  I could take a hint more bass but that's about it. Would the Andromeda bass be too much or too warm for me overall?  Unfortunately I can't get to any meets to try them out.  Thanks!

Don't have or heard Ether C, but I did compare Andromeda to Savant in my review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/campfire-audio-andromeda/reviews/16117 - scroll down to Comparison section toward the end.

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #1,385 of 9,829
I think the andromeda is a little like the savant, but much improved in almost all ways, it is to me what I had hoped the savants to be :)

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly! I was expecting a little more extension from both ends from my (now sold) Wizard Savant. It was beautiful to behold and kept my attention but just didn't let me completely get lost in he music like my Andromeda does now.

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #1,386 of 9,829
I agree with this statement wholeheartedly! I was expecting a little more extension from both ends from my (now sold) Wizard Savant. It was beautiful to behold and kept my attention but just didn't let me completely get lost in he music like my Andromeda does now.

Most importantly, the andromeda doesn't have the plastic colouration I hear in the universal savants, which I attribute to the plastic housing, as I hear it on all noble universals (the old ones at least, thus I'm very excited to hear the new models).

I do with the Andromedas have a little more weight and presence in the Low end, especially in the sub bass region, but that's my personal opinion :)

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #1,387 of 9,829

I personally enjoy the Andromeda more than the ETHER C, even though the sound signatures of both are not entirely similar. As for if the bass is too much or too warm, from my exhibitions of the Andromeda, I have heard varying degrees of perceptible opinions of the bass. Most all listeners of the Andromeda that I questioned after listening do not have a problem with the bass and usually don't say it is too much or too little. I know I didn't answer your question fully, but I answered on products I feel should be mentioned (even though I have listened to every product you have mentioned).

Jun 7, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #1,388 of 9,829
I personally enjoy the Andromeda more than the ETHER C, even though the sound signatures of both are not entirely similar. As for if the bass is too much or too warm, from my exhibitions of the Andromeda, I have heard varying degrees of perceptible opinions of the bass. Most all listeners of the Andromeda that I questioned after listening do not have a problem with the bass and usually don't say it is too much or too little. I know I didn't answer your question fully, but I answered on products I feel should be mentioned (even though I have listened to every product you have mentioned).

Measurements of Andromeda show an interesting impedance curve. There will be more mid-bass presence/warmth with devices <1ohm output. Things tighten up a bit with devices around 3-5ohms (iphone 4/5/6 etc). It's still relatively nuanced though...

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #1,389 of 9,829
vhsownsbeta said:

Measurements of Andromeda show an interesting impedance curve. There will be more mid-bass presence/warmth with devices <1ohm output. Things tighten up a bit with devices around 3-5ohms (iphone 4/5/6 etc). It's still relatively nuanced though...

There have been different views and perceptions of the bass (amount, quality) that I have experienced personally when I exhibited the Andromeda to listeners that does not have to do at all with any measurements as well as not having to do at all with stated opinionated definitives such as "There will be more mid-bass presence...", "Things tighten up a bit with devices around...".

My upcoming review will be more in depth with what I perceive the entire sound of the Andromeda and other aspects of the IEM to be as an entirety.

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #1,390 of 9,829
There have been different views and perceptions of the bass (amount, quality) that I have experienced personally when I exhibited the Andromeda to listeners that does not have to do at all with any measurements as well as not having to do at all with stated opinionated definitives such as "There will be more mid-bass presence...", "Things tighten up a bit with devices around...".

My upcoming review will be more in depth with what I perceive the entire sound of the Andromeda and other aspects of the IEM to be as an entirety.

OK.

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #1,391 of 9,829

I actually value the different input from the different users, especially with the particular comment on testing with sources of different impedance :)

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #1,392 of 9,829
For those that have DSD capable devices/software, here is some free sample music from iFi Audio, called the iFi Quad DSD Sampler Album - Native DSD Music.  More information is here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/790869/ican-micro-se-thanks-to-meze-you-guys-are-great-things-are-a-rockin/405#post_12626771.

While I was listening to the music with the Andromeda all afternoon, I found several other free samples on the same Native DSD site (you have to register first), here: https://members.nativedsd.com/albums/just-listen-1-compilation.

Enjoy, those who choose to download! 

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #1,394 of 9,829
  Volume matching is important in my opinion, but I've found auditory differences between the same brand and model (at least for headphones) when I've tested.  Makes it so my findings are that not only do people hear the same thing(s) differently, part of why they hear the same product differently could be that they received a product that sounds different to another product (same brand/model) tested!  

This came up a while ago, when people were arguing over the sound of particular headphones. It turned out that different pairs indeed sounded different. Some manufacturers have been emphasising consistency between individual pairs lately, maybe as a consequence.

The Andromedas sound closer to the regular Ethers, with a bit more mid-bass than the C, but see below.

This correlates completely with my experiences. Out of a Pico Power or Mojo: More mid-bass. Out of the 10 Ohm Soundaware M1 and my iPhone 6+: Less mid-bass. It is distinct, but not excessive. Close to the difference between the Ether and Ether C. I rather like the slightly reduced mid-bass. 

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #1,395 of 9,829

This came up a while ago, when people were arguing over the sound of particular headphones. It turned out that different pairs indeed sounded different. Some manufacturers have been emphasising consistency between individual pairs lately, maybe as a consequence...

Definitely.  In my experience listening to various equipment from different manufacturers (volume matched), I have indeed found differences in sound with the same make and model.  This can literally skew with at least some of our own auditory (subjective and otherwise) findings and skew comparison tests as well.  Even if it was the same headphone and/or device that everyone was listening to (like when I exhibit my Andromeda to various listeners), some perceive various aspects of the sound of the Andromeda differently.  More about this and other findings in my review in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back