Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Apr 29, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #332 of 9,829
WCDchee while this was not aimed only at this thread and certainly not at you personally, thanks for taking the time to answer in such a constructive manner. Now I really want to buy the Andromeda. I just wish I new more about delays as I hate pre-orders for 6 months in advance.

No worries buddy :) I understand exactly what you mean, the incredible level of hype on just about anything is pretty annoying. That's why I refrain from commenting so strongly unless something really really impresses me.

It was nice to be able to share my experiences with campfire audio, I would very much people understand why I'm so supportive of them, than to just see me as a fanboy :)

Apr 29, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #333 of 9,829
No worries buddy :) I understand exactly what you mean, the incredible level of hype on just about anything is pretty annoying. That's why I refrain from commenting so strongly unless something really really impresses me.

It was nice to be able to share my experiences with campfire audio, I would very much people understand why I'm so supportive of them, than to just see me as a fanboy :)
Could you share with them the need to send me a free pair?

Apr 29, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #335 of 9,829
IF you feel free can be try them out of Jupiter in the 1st place, I don't think in this period you can have free try demo set.
Even the reseller now.
Exqueeze me?

Apr 29, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #337 of 9,829
@WCDchee so there's even more products in development now? there are at least four prototypes and so there's still two mysterious products that might or might not happen? This is worrying since the Jupiter got dethroned by the Andromeda in just 1 year's time, and Ken said a while back they aren't doing any more multi BA driver iems 'for a while'. I would hate to get the Andromeda just a few months after it's been out then in October or something a flagship hybrid or multi DD gets announced. 

Well I see that you also have the K10 and have even done a review on it, giving it 5 stars. How is the Ando compared to the K10? 

Apr 29, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #338 of 9,829
@WCDchee
 so there's even more products in development now? there are at least four prototypes and so there's still two mysterious products that might or might not happen? This is worrying since the Jupiter got dethroned by the Andromeda in just 1 year's time, and Ken said a while back they aren't doing any more multi BA driver iems 'for a while'. I would hate to get the Andromeda just a few months after it's been out then in October or something a flagship hybrid or multi DD gets announced. 

Well I see that you also have the K10 and have even done a review on it, giving it 5 stars. How is the Ando compared to the K10? 

Prisimstorm

The IEM business is very competitive unfortunately. I have to be able to innovate and release new products if I am to remain in business as well as stay competitive.

More complex models of course will cost more. Top models 2 or 3 years ago today are just ok so the advancement of IEMs is kind of moving fast. I really do not want to sit on something I have designed that is very good for too long.

But I understand your view on the matter for sure. Thank you

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 29, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #340 of 9,829
Prisimstorm

The IEM business is very competitive unfortunately. I have to be able to innovate and release new products if I am to remain in business as well as stay competitive.

More complex models of course will cost more. Top models 2 or 3 years ago today are just ok so the advancement of IEMs is kind of moving fast. I really do not want to sit on something I have designed that is very good for too long.

But I understand your view on the matter for sure. Thank you

Ken

Ken,

I understand the competition, it is easy to see given the market saturation and the staggering amount of products out there. 

Having said that, one year between new flagship releases is still quite rapid, given that some places only get demos 2-3 months after the new product's announcement, and by the time people can get their hands on it it will already be three or four months 'in' the NEW flagship's life cycle. I know it is not the most rational notion, but everyone is well aware of diminishing returns, but people still pay the premium for the flagship for 'irrational' reasons other than sound quality (owning the best, bragging rights, buying the comfort that he has the best out there at least for a while). 

Of course I am in no place to tell you how to do business, I was just thinking out loud. I get that it's the prevailing trend for some time now, but some company's more relaxed product cycles do give customers some (more) breathing room. This post is in no way referring or insinuating any company. 

Apr 29, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #341 of 9,829
@WCDchee
 so there's even more products in development now? there are at least four prototypes and so there's still two mysterious products that might or might not happen? This is worrying since the Jupiter got dethroned by the Andromeda in just 1 year's time, and Ken said a while back they aren't doing any more multi BA driver iems 'for a while'. I would hate to get the Andromeda just a few months after it's been out then in October or something a flagship hybrid or multi DD gets announced. 

I really won't comment, it is not my place to do so. I don't know how they will be priced, or if they will be released at all. Bear in mind that these are all prototypes, and every company has prototypes, most of which never make it to the market for whatever reason.

What do you mean by 4 prototypes?

I think what is often mistaken, is the purpose of prototypes. Prototypes are merely that, prototypes. Talk to any company, any high end, good, IEM company and they will always, always have multiple prototypes, whether it's to test out concepts to be used in products a year later, or what not. Whether they admit it is a different thing.

I think Ken did mention a few posts back that his IEMs take about a year to go from he drawinf board to full production, with lots and lots of prototyping here and there. It takes Lots and lots of hardwork, and a lot of time. Simply because there prototypes now doesn't mean that he's going to release them next month. Some of the other IEM companies I've spoken to, have also showed me a couple of their prototypes. Does it mean they're coming out soon? No way.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from. Prototypes mean nothing with regards to product launches until they happen. And going by what Ken says, it takes a year to launch a new product. Thus, if he wants to launch something a year later (which really isn't too much) he's gotta be working on something now, no? Just like every other company.

Don't get so caught up in the numbers, in the chase. Remember, there's no way to always predict the next best thing. And there's no point. Something that sounds great now will sound great 2 years later.

With regards to the number of stars given to a product on review, I think one thing to consider is that the stars are really not the most indicative of how good a product is all the time, the discriminatory power of the stars is simply not that precise. Stars are given based on a lot of things. Now simply how absolutely good they sound, which in itself is not really fully quantifiable.

With regards to my thoughts on the k10 vs the andromeda, I've mentioned it a few times previously, so feel free to check back on my other posts.

Just remember, as with all companies, there are ALWAYS products in development. There are always developments to be made. In fact it would worry me if a company simply rested on its laurels. I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

Apr 29, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #344 of 9,829
Campfire Audio at the Fujiya Avic headphone show 

(sorry for the double post of some photos, i am now doing it from my computer to present clearer photos).

It was nice to meet Ken and Caleb and get to handle the new models, impressions from the show soon.

Apr 29, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #345 of 9,829
Any impressions? 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back