Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 16, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #1,666 of 19,136
sonically wise, best to use just bare wire esp for the spring clips. better yet, just tin the wire ends & plug it in. an extra layer of connection with pins/bananas/spades certainly wont help with better sound plus bare wire's free. sounds like a win-win to me.

problem wot problem?! LOL

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #1,667 of 19,136
The pins should fit and the barrels (the thick parts) will probably touch each other. That's not a problem as long as the barrels are not bare metal, which means wrapping them in electrical tape or heat shrink. A rubber band might do but I wouldn't rely on it: it might slip and over a few months the rubber will eventually lose elasticity and slip off.

I'll provide a picture tomorrow. It might help clear things up.

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #1,668 of 19,136

You are correct to be concerned with a non insulated pin connector.

Here are the notorious 'M' angled pin connectors with 16 gauge speaker wire on the rear of a Sansui amplifier.

Obviously,straight pins would not work well in this application and it is preferable to have the insulation,no matter how tight the clamp/screw the wires will move when repositioning the amp.

These pins allow you to use a heavier gauge wire that would otherwise not fit into the terminal hole.

On the Marantz 2285 receiver,the straight pins would work as it has straight out clamp style speaker terminals but I still use insulated angled pins.

I move gear around a lot and prefer not to always be twisting/tinning speaker leads.

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #1,669 of 19,136

Quote:
sonically wise, best to use just bare wire esp for the spring clips. better yet, just tin the wire ends & plug it in. an extra layer of connection with pins/bananas/spades certainly wont help with better sound plus bare wire's free. sounds like a win-win to me.

problem wot problem?! LOL

I know, but I don't have soldering tool and stuff. I really should stock these thing up for my vintage stuff.

@5aces
Where did you get these pin plugs? Thanks!

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #1,670 of 19,136
Like I said,they are Monster angled pin connectors bought on clearance at Future Shop Canada.

Scooped all the packs they had at a good price along with that 50' roll of speaker wire,enough for the whole system!

I see them here:http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Crimp-Toolless-Speaker-Connectors/dp/B00104HKJE

or:
http://tinyurl.com/5r2tx7o

Be advised I would not use anything smaller than 16 gauge wire,14 would be preferable.

Won't take too much pull from heavier wire but I have not had any problems.

They are toolless and twist on tight counterclockwise.

Not the very best but the price and time was right so on they went,cheap and dirty.

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #1,671 of 19,136
where did you get those banana plugs? I need to get a set for my speakers.
nvm found it at crutchfield

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #1,672 of 19,136
Looking to possibly scoop something quick with no time for proper research... So I'm posting hoping for a quick reply... Marantz 4300? Any thoughts? Price range if it's as mint as quoted?
Thanks...

Jun 17, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #1,673 of 19,136

Quote:
I just want to point out that STA-2100 was well built, but the sound signature is not good as well regarded Marantz, Sui, Pioneer, Yammy, Luxman, Rotel and Kenwood. It still has warm sound, but you will fell little flat, lifeless. My 80's NAD 7240pe has much sweet sound than Realistic. I have Sanyo and Technics at hand. And I will rate STA-2100 a little below Sanyo and Technics which are below those big name above. Well, if you use 2100 to drive speakers, that's another story. All my observation is based on my AKG Q-701.

That is very subjective.  I think the Realistic can run with the big boys with their sound signatures, it all depends on what you're looking for.  I can easily "point out" that HK has better tonal qualities than Rotel, Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer, etc...but then again just like anything else in this hobby, it all depends on what you like as an individual.  And yes, I've heard lots of Realistic amplifiers, just never owned anything other than speakers and turntables, they also make great EQs if you are on a tight budget.

Jun 17, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #1,675 of 19,136

Quote:
That is very subjective.  I think the Realistic can run with the big boys with their sound signatures, it all depends on what you're looking for.  I can easily "point out" that HK has better tonal qualities than Rotel, Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer, etc...but then again just like anything else in this hobby, it all depends on what you like as an individual.  And yes, I've heard lots of Realistic amplifiers, just never owned anything other than speakers and turntables, they also make great EQs if you are on a tight budget.

Yes, I know that all subjective when we talk sound. I just tried to give my opinion about STA-2100. I was at a guy's house to pick up a vintage receiver. Man, that guy has all sorts of vintage stuff except Yammy and HK, He has Sui g-22000, Rotel RX-1603. I audited the STA-2100, the biggest fisher receiver (RS-1080?), Rotel rx-1203, a biggest Toshiba receiver (Toshiba SA-7150) and Setton RS-660 for one hour. I mainly listened to Norah Jones from a MD player line out and some hip-op radio stations.  At that time, I felt Realistic is flat, lifeless, not exciting. I was torn between Setton and Realistic since the guy asked half the price of Setton for Realistic (while I don't want to pay $400 for other big guys). I finally grabbed Setton and left Realistic there. Later, the guy sold Realistic out. This was the only Realistic I ever heard and STA-2100 I heard might sound different from other 2100 units.

Well, as you said "it all depends on what you like as an individual". I have Pioneer SX-1250, SX-1050, but I like my SX-727 more than them. Although Pionny is very popular, myself can't label them as the same league as Luxman, Marantz, Yammy and Sui. Again, I will put Rotel into top tier even though it's not popular.

Jun 17, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #1,676 of 19,136

Quote:
Like I said,they are Monster angled pin connectors bought on clearance at Future Shop Canada.

Sorry,  I was confused. The beautiful bike in your avatar made me dazzle....
confused.gif

Thanks for all help!
beerchug.gif

Jun 17, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #1,678 of 19,136
It's important to remember that any individual sample of a vintage receiver can sound bad due to having sagging/bad caps, poorly set bias, etc etc. Hard to generalize about the sound of a piece based on one sample.

Jun 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #1,679 of 19,136

Quote:
It's important to remember that any individual sample of a vintage receiver can sound bad due to having sagging/bad caps, poorly set bias, etc etc. Hard to generalize about the sound of a piece based on one sample.

Well said!! 
popcorn.gif

Next time I will add "IMHO, on my experience, might ect" to avoid confusion.

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #1,680 of 19,136

Quote:
The STA-2200 doesn't sound flat and lifeless.

Whew. For some unknown reason, that's good to hear.

The Realistic (wotta name, right?) STA-2100 and STA-2200 are two extremely different beasts. The 2100, in its two flavors, is a classic glass-and-steel unreconstructedly-analog high-power receiver-- and downright controversial. I haven't heard it myself, but something about the sound polarizes people-- it's the receiver equivalent of the Pioneer HPM-100 speaker. You can read more than you'll ever want to know about it on AK. Fair warning.

Quote:

Oh, this is so true, it's, like, true. Once something survives to the age of, say, an STA-2100, you have to evaluate on a case by case basis, as you would if these were cars from the same era.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back