Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 18, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #1,681 of 19,136
Nikko 9095 TOTL in 1975?, only 65wpc, but around 40lbs. The warmest receiver I ever have. It's my first choice for Q701 since it tames the bright of AKG through all frequency. though the bass is not tight as my others, it's not boomy. I have another Nikko TRM-600, but it sounds totally different from 9095. TRM-600 sound bright and a little cold.
I would say I waste $50 for TRM-600, I thought it would sound like 9095.

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #1,683 of 19,136
One guy whose online posts you might be interested to read is Tom Ishimoto. He worked for Onkyo, then Nikko (around the time of the Alpha and Beta III) and for a time was Chief Engineer for Marantz.

There. I got the chronology right, finally.

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #1,684 of 19,136
Picked these off of the curb, I got it all for free. I got Yamaha ca-610 II amplifier, a ct-410 II tuner, and a pair of "the Advent Loudspeakers". I believe everything is from 1978 or close to it. I have not yet tested the amplifier or the tuner as I just snagged them today. But the speakers sound great, I just need to re-foam them as all the foam is dried up and flaked off. I figure even if  the amp doesn't work right off the bat, it should hopefully be an easy fix. Enough talk, here are some pictures...

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #1,685 of 19,136
Picked these off of the curb, I got it all for free. I got Yamaha ca-610 II amplifier, a ct-410 II tuner, and a pair of "the Advent Loudspeakers". I believe everything is from 1978 or close to it. I have not yet tested the amplifier or the tuner as I just snagged them today. But the speakers sound great, I just need to re-foam them as all the foam is dried up and flaked off. I figure even if  the amp doesn't work right off the bat, it should hopefully be an easy fix. Enough talk, here are some pictures...

nice find! but man, antec 900...i have that case. was great case when i got into gaming more and was working as a tech at a computer shop but after some years i realize what a dust magnet it is. i like simple sleek cases now like li-lian. antec 900 tho is a good case with lots of airflow. just not big fan of fancy lights anymore. bad enough loudest component in my 5870. plan on getting a cheap laptop for music storing and listening at night cause when it's late and quiet. first thing i notice when trying to listen to my speakers before bed is my computer's noise lol.

Jun 19, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #1,686 of 19,136
That is a pretty amazing curb-side free score. Wow. nice!

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #1,688 of 19,136
you know what they say:  one man's trash...

yup. i scored lot of things in the trash. best place is scope a rich neighborhood on trash day. i can't say how many good rear projection hdtv's and lcd's i found but i usually pass on them. had no luck with amps or speakers yet. most stuff i try to look for i never find but other things that are valuable i could care less.

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #1,689 of 19,136

Quote:
One guy whose online posts you might be interested to read is Tom Ishimoto. He worked for Nikko (around the time of the Alpha and Beta III) and for a time was Chief Engineer for Marantz, winding up at Onkyo.

Yes, I read some piece info on AK. Do you know his AK name? Or could you direct me to his post. Thank!

@Buddyboy1,
Nice rescue!!
beerchug.gif
I think all members or guests of this thread will consider it's a sin to trash these kind of gems! Congrats and Enjoy!

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #1,691 of 19,136

Quote:
nice find! but man, antec 900...i have that case. was great case when i got into gaming more and was working as a tech at a computer shop but after some years i realize what a dust magnet it is. i like simple sleek cases now like li-lian. antec 900 tho is a good case with lots of airflow. just not big fan of fancy lights anymore. bad enough loudest component in my 5870. plan on getting a cheap laptop for music storing and listening at night cause when it's late and quiet. first thing i notice when trying to listen to my speakers before bed is my computer's noise lol.

Haha thanks. I would have to agree the case can be loud, but if it is under the desk it really isn't a problem for me. I have put a lot of work into the 900, painting and cable management etc and I really love my case. I would ask to swap some computer pics, but this isn't the thread to do so, perhaps on the computer thread?

Quote:
That is a pretty amazing curb-side free score. Wow. nice!

Ya I am lucky too because about 10 seconds after I had the stuff loaded someone else who wanted them drove up. I felt kind of bad, but at least the women who was getting rid of the equipment was happy I took them off her hands.
Quote:
Nice rescue!!
beerchug.gif
I think all members or guests of this thread will consider it's a sin to trash these kind of gems! Congrats and Enjoy!

Thanks! I was ecstatic all day once I heard the speakers. These are the first vintage....well, anything that I have owned and I can say that I was in awe by the sound quality of 33 year old speakers and equipment. I now know what all the fuss is about vintage equipment now, pretty cool stuff. It will be a lot of fun refurbishing and getting these guys into working order!

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #1,692 of 19,136
Nice Yammies! I've got a CR-220 receiver from the same lineup that I'm trying to repare. Excellent condition! Especially for free
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #1,693 of 19,136
Just picked up a Sansui A-550 Classique integrated from my local flea market. Anyone ever listen to this model? So far after hooking it up to my Denon D-2000 headphones it sounds very pretty. Great punchy bass and crisp treble.
I was a little scared it wouldn't work because it was dirty and the connectors on back were very old and rusty. But after a hour of listening. I am really starting to think it is better at the mids and highs than my trusty 87' model NAD 7242 Power Envelope receiver. The NAD has more power maybe too much. The subsonic bass on the NAD can't be beat though. I will give a more extensive review later in the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back