Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 15, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #1,621 of 19,136
dont forget that the great white north has only 1/10 the population of the States & hence by deduction, we only have 1/10 (if that) the amount of gear changing hands. plus the fact that alot of these vintage higher end stuff are military "issues" made available at good discounts to the men in uniform by various mfgrs. again we up north dont get these 'deals'.

lets face it, even now we canucks pay more for most anything compare to u yanks. suxs the big one fo sho!

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #1,623 of 19,136
ya but u have guns - big smal long short auto semi auto assualt anti personnel anti armor ...... - u yanks have it all! takes forever for us to even get a lic for a hunting rifle :frowning2:

on another subject, @auralrelations, those TF500s are in very fine condition. it was my very 1st "audiophile" speakers i bought with my 1st paycheck donkey years ago. frank's rite with not much bass but mids were sweet from what i could remember.

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #1,624 of 19,136
Here's my new to me vintage Fisher X-101C tube integrated.  Picked it up today. Am not sure if the cabinet is an original Fisher. The seller said he had been told it might be for a Scott. Regardless, the leatherette cabinet fits it very well. It's got a duke's mixture of power tubes installed: one Sylvania, one Dumond, and two RCAs. Haven't pulled it out of the cabinet yet to see what the 12AX7s are. The mode and volume knobs are from a later model Fisher, but I have the two original knobs, one of which is missing the brass colored cover. Will find that on eBay I guess. Has already been gone over by the local Pittsburgh tube guru technician, so should be ready to play for a while to come.

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #1,625 of 19,136
Congrats, that looks gorgeous.
I thought I was done, but now I think I want a vintage tube amp. I will have to start researching.
If the mid to late 70's were the "golden age" for SS integrated, what is the "golden age" for tube amps/receivers? 

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #1,628 of 19,136

Quote:
ya but u have guns - big smal long short auto semi auto assualt anti personnel anti armor ...... - u yanks have it all! takes forever for us to even get a lic for a hunting rifle :frowning2:

on another subject, @auralrelations, those TF500s are in very fine condition. it was my very 1st "audiophile" speakers i bought with my 1st paycheck donkey years ago. frank's rite with not much bass but mids were sweet from what i could remember.

I did some research before buying them and it seemed like a good deal so I went for it. There's a dime sized hole on the "sock" for the left speaker but it's only noticeable up close. I really like the imaging and the mids/highs on them. I just wish bass went lower! The bass doesn't sound realistic enough on my Bill Evans recordings. I really hope that they're not broken but I wouldn't be surprised since they were only $40.

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #1,629 of 19,136
Quote:
Here's my new to me vintage Fisher X-101C tube integrated.  Picked it up today. Am not sure if the cabinet is an original Fisher. The seller said he had been told it might be for a Scott. Regardless, the leatherette cabinet fits it very well. It's got a duke's mixture of power tubes installed: one Sylvania, one Dumond, and two RCAs. Haven't pulled it out of the cabinet yet to see what the 12AX7s are. The mode and volume knobs are from a later model Fisher, but I have the two original knobs, one of which is missing the brass colored cover. Will find that on eBay I guess. Has already been gone over by the local Pittsburgh tube guru technician, so should be ready to play for a while to come.

Beautiful, man. Welcome to Team Fisher!

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #1,630 of 19,136

Quote:
O as far as the yami CR & CA goes, the CA8x0s & up have an optional internal switch that lets the amp sing in full class A mode - albeit as a much lesser wattage output. for what its worth, the CR receivers dont have this option no matter the model.  

@Scottie
I"m glad that you enjoy AKG with AU-517!! Yes, I also turn the bass a little +2db, and sometimes also low treble -2db.

Wow, I don't know Yammy CA8x0 & up have this feature. I should keep my eyes on a Yammy CA in the future!  Thanks!

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #1,631 of 19,136

Quote:
@ BmWr75 - Very nice and not often seen Fisher amp you have there!

Have you tried it with headphones yet?

Just tried it with some Beyer DT-880 660 ohm cans.  It sounds very nice.  Maybe a little tizzy on the top end.  Need to see what 12AX7s are installed.

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #1,632 of 19,136
Quote:
How many people prefer the gear for the looks and how many people buy the gear for the sound?   I'm into the looks right now with the sound secondary.

I missed this question earlier. I think it's a good'un.

I'm buying stuff for the sound. At least, I'd like to think so.

My decades-old amplifiers have soundly trounced all my dedicated headphone amps. There is room along the margins for quibbling: Sound can be analyzed and quantified objectively, but "good" is purely in the ears of the beholder. Certainly my Violectric amp is not shambolic at all. It's also some wee fraction of the size of any of my receivers, and it delivers all the power any of my headphones need (aside from the very needy HE-6). It also costs some multiple of the market price for all but the really monstrous integrateds and receivers - you could buy a couple AU-717s on Ebay for the price of a single HPA-100. That's kind of unfair, of course; The HPA-100 is currently in manufacture and its price is set at what Violectric can (presumably) reasonably charge, while our elderly receivers and integrateds are all heavily devalued from their original retail prices; much of the kit we're discussing here cost a thousand or more dollars when new, adjusted for 2011 currency, so as much as we moan about inflation in the current price of primo Pioneer receivers, we're really complaining about the SX-1280 being driven up from 1/10 of its original price to, oh, 1/4 or so.

For me, the HE-6 throws the equation cockeyed, though. If I had some other flagship phone, like the LCD-2, HD800, T1, I probably would have stopped with the Violectric and been happy.

The HE-6 is rarely happy with any headphone jack, to the extent that headphone amp designers have been rushing back to the drawing board (circuit design applications, anyway) to come up with anything compatible. On the other hand, we've already got all these receivers lying around in basements, garages, storage closets, and so on... as a happy side effect, we're discovering that they keep up pretty well with modern equipment on other tasks in addition to powering headphones.

Back to the question of looks or sound. I think my Heathkit AR-1500 looks kind of comical - see earlier notes on that. If it wasn't for my memories of the thing as a child, I'd give it a pass, because stylistically it doesn't evoke any genre of high-end gear. Possibly some obscure McIntosh tuner, if unplugged and viewed in really, really dim light. But I also think it sounds great. On the other side, the HK receiver is almost too big, a massive aluminum and glass monster charged with electricity.  When I'm working at home it's perched on a filing cabinet inches from my left shoulder and somewhat intimidating. Its scale would be more attractive if it was planted safely somewhere across the room.

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #1,634 of 19,136
I might be picking up a JVC turntable and a broken Yamaha Cr 220 to play with this weekend. I'm pumped for cheap project amp!

edit: I'm excited over a peice of broken electronics...this is a bad sign. I'm going to end up as doomed as the rest of you!

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #1,635 of 19,136

Quote:
Quote:

I missed this question earlier. I think it's a good'un.

I'm buying stuff for the sound. At least, I'd like to think so.

My decades-old amplifiers have soundly trounced all my dedicated headphone amps. There is room along the margins for quibbling: Sound can be analyzed and quantified objectively, but "good" is purely in the ears of the beholder. Certainly my Violectric amp is not shambolic at all. It's also some wee fraction of the size of any of my receivers, and it delivers all the power any of my headphones need (aside from the very needy HE-6). It also costs some multiple of the market price for all but the really monstrous integrateds and receivers - you could buy a couple AU-717s on Ebay for the price of a single HPA-100. That's kind of unfair, of course; The HPA-100 is currently in manufacture and its price is set at what Violectric can (presumably) reasonably charge, while our elderly receivers and integrateds are all heavily devalued from their original retail prices; much of the kit we're discussing here cost a thousand or more dollars when new, adjusted for 2011 currency, so as much as we moan about inflation in the current price of primo Pioneer receivers, we're really complaining about the SX-1280 being driven up from 1/10 of its original price to, oh, 1/4 or so.

For me, the HE-6 throws the equation cockeyed, though. If I had some other flagship phone, like the LCD-2, HD800, T1, I probably would have stopped with the Violectric and been happy.

The HE-6 is rarely happy with any headphone jack, to the extent that headphone amp designers have been rushing back to the drawing board (circuit design applications, anyway) to come up with anything compatible. On the other hand, we've already got all these receivers lying around in basements, garages, storage closets, and so on... as a happy side effect, we're discovering that they keep up pretty well with modern equipment on other tasks in addition to powering headphones.

Back to the question of looks or sound. I think my Heathkit AR-1500 looks kind of comical - see earlier notes on that. If it wasn't for my memories of the thing as a child, I'd give it a pass, because stylistically it doesn't evoke any genre of high-end gear. Possibly some obscure McIntosh tuner, if unplugged and viewed in really, really dim light. But I also think it sounds great. On the other side, the HK receiver is almost too big, a massive aluminum and glass monster charged with electricity.  When I'm working at home it's perched on a filing cabinet inches from my left shoulder and somewhat intimidating. Its scale would be more attractive if it was planted safely somewhere across the room.

Well the question is all mute now!  Iv'e brushed off the bug, thrown it on the ground and stomped it dead!  I'm giving away my newly acquired Yamaha CR 820, keeping the Marantz 2215b I stole for $5 replacing a light in it and not looking back.  I decided NOT to go to that house today with the scores of vintage gear from 67 receivers, speakers, turntables, tubes reel to reels, and what not.  I knew if I did I'd never return, my bank account would further diminish and I'd truly become a vintage junky.  This stuff is way too beautiful and way too hard to resist. I know it will simply consume me if I go down the path.  Now I just have to get that bug off my shoe...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back