Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 13, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #1,591 of 19,143
wow sluker .... major congrats! your 1250 isnt a score, its a STEAL! u picked it up for basically (at the very least) 50% of current 'market' value. cant do no better than that these days. glad youre enjoying it.

personally i'd keep the 1250 & the 717 but then again, waddaikno as i've not heard the toshiba. goodluck either way.

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #1,592 of 19,143
I say keep the toshiba nad sansui and sell me that crappy sx 1250 for $10..  
biggrin.gif
.. but seriously you got youseld a bargain.. I have been on the lookout for a Pioneer SX1250 for about 2 weeks now, nothing I found comes remotely close to what you got your for!!

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #1,594 of 19,143
Man this bug won't stop biting me. 

I just got off the phone with a local guy who has been collecting gear since 1967 and now he;s selling off his stuff.  Much of it he says he has had refurbished.   A Kenwood 9G, Pioneer SX650 to name a few.  He has reel to reels, turntables,2 sets Advent speakers, one bookshelf one floor,  DahlQuist DQ 10-s pretty much everything he's ever owned he's selling. 

He's also selling a cache of tubes that I believe may be a few decades old and hasn't used in decades since he got rid of his tube gear way back when because he got tires of the love.  I wish I knew about tubes. What should I look for? Maybe I should buy his entire stash and take a chance.

I'm heading to his place on Wednesday. 

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #1,595 of 19,143
sweet, hope you strike gold!  

Me personally I think my vintage itch is going to be limited to receivers and old amps (tube and SS).  I am quite happy with digital as my source and I think I like newish speakers.  

Quote:
Man this bug won't stop biting me. 

I just got off the phone with a local guy who has been collecting gear since 1967 and now he;s selling off his stuff.  Much of it he says he has had refurbished.  Like a 1967 Nikko 501 he had refurbished, A Kenwood 9G, Pioneer SX650 to name a few.  He has reel to reels, turntables,2 sets Advent speakers, one bookshelf one floor,  DahlQuist DQ 10-s pretty much everything he's ever owned he's selling. 

He's also selling a cache of tubes that I believe may be a few decades old and hasn't used in decades since he got rid of his tube gear way back when because he got tires of the love.  I wish I knew about tubes. What should I look for? Maybe I should buy his entire stash and take a chance.

I'm heading to his place on Wednesday. 

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #1,596 of 19,143

Quote:
sweet, hope you strike gold!  

Me personally I think my vintage itch is going to be limited to receivers and old amps (tube and SS).  I am quite happy with digital as my source and I think I like newish speakers.  

I'm interested more in the looks of the receivers than the sound, of course I want them to work but I won't really be using them in that way.  The Nikko has a great look from 1967. All the vintage stuff from the 70's has a great look but for me the Marantz stuff really does it for me.     If his Advents are in good shape I'm pretty sure I'll have to get a set.  

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #1,597 of 19,143

Quote:
Anyone here doing their own restorations?  

Also are there any vintage receivers with tubes inside?

I do my own restorations. Originally with 1920's to 1960's AM tube radios.
A few years ago I got into restoring "more modern" AM/FM receivers.
So far I've done a Marantz 2275, a Pioneer SX-1010, a Sansui 1000,
and a 1972 Kenwood that I bought new back in my high school days.

The Sansui Model 1000 I restored is a tube receiver from 1963.
Some other "famous brand" high fidelity tube receivers from that era were made by
companies such as Fisher, Scott, Kenwood, Pioneer, Harmon Kardon and Magnavox.

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #1,598 of 19,143
the Sansui model 1000 is a dang fine super rare tube receiver. wish i could find one locally. livewire good for u!

@WarriorAnt i'd def grab the Kennie 9G at the right price. if the 2sets of Advents happen to be the Large Advent Loudspeakers, i'd grab them BOTH IN A HURRY esp if the price is right. besides sound awesome, stacked & amped of a good vintage with decent power (the kennie 9G@80wpc mite qualify), they also produce prodigious rock concert dBs to shake the house!

hell if u have the space, grab the Dalquists too
darthsmile.gif

Jun 14, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #1,600 of 19,143
There is an AU-717 for sale in Bartertown forum on AudioKarma.org (not mine).  You have to be an AK subscriber to view this thread though.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=375155

Here's the description:

Amp is clean inside and out. faceplate is a 9 
top case was just painted. I've had a TT and
CD hooked up everything works good. Tuner
section is good. Don't really what to sell but
I NEED another pair of speakers. If anybody is 
interested give me a call. Asking 300.00 OBO
plus some shipping.

Jun 14, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #1,601 of 19,143
That made me look at AK.  Someone scored a Sansui AU-20000, TU-9900, Pioneer PL-55DX tt, Teac A-4300SX reel to reel, Pioneer CT-F9191 tapedeck and two sets of Tempest Lab Series 1 with ribbon tweeters for $175 on CL.

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #1,603 of 19,143

Quote:
There is an AU-717 for sale in Bartertown forum on AudioKarma.org (not mine).  You have to be an AK subscriber to view this thread though.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=375155

Here's the description:

Amp is clean inside and out. faceplate is a 9 
top case was just painted. I've had a TT and
CD hooked up everything works good. Tuner
section is good. Don't really what to sell but
I NEED another pair of speakers. If anybody is 
interested give me a call. Asking 300.00 OBO
plus some shipping.

heyyy nevermind the amp, thats a realistic mach one - my partee animal of choice! i remembered how those speaker rock so hard, they rattle windows & walls! & didnt need much wattage to do it either. i'd get one if i had the room for it. niceeeee!

Quote:
That made me look at AK.  Someone scored a Sansui AU-20000, TU-9900, Pioneer PL-55DX tt, Teac A-4300SX reel to reel, Pioneer CT-F9191 tapedeck and two sets of Tempest Lab Series 1 with ribbon tweeters for $175 on CL.

wow thats not a score, its highway robbery is what it is! the AU2k is worth $1k (& then some) by its lonesome! why cant i run across such deal???

Quote:
Pioneer SX-880 in my area for $125. Is it worth it?
...and an SX-636 for $50. 

not overpriced by any means but i'd wait & go for either a SX750 or better yet, a SX950 if best sonics is the objective. some say that either sounds better than the much bigger badder TOTL 1x80/1x50! YMMV ofcos

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #1,604 of 19,143
Hello, Scottie, are you enjoying your K702 better now? I actually found a good vintage SS receiver match the q701 very well. It tames the high of AKG and smooths all frequency pretty well in the same time keep the detail and sound stage of Q701. Only problem is that bass a little booming, not tight as Sui and Pioneer. The receiver is Nikko 8085.

I have a quick question to ask. Are the integrate amp better than the corresponding receiver? I saw on flea-bay, a Yamaha cr-2020 ended at $380, but a Yammy CA-2020 ended at $720. Or it's just the rarity drove the price. Thanks!

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #1,605 of 19,143
I have a quick question to ask. Are the integrate amp better than the corresponding receiver? I saw on flea-bay, a Yamaha cr-2020 ended at $380, but a Yammy CA-2020 ended at $720. Or it's just the rarity drove the price. Thanks!
Depends on the models you're comparing. The NAD 7020 is the classic 3020 integrated with a radio on top. The HK505 is the HK670 without a radio. In both cases the receiver versions sell for significantly less than the integrated versions (eg, the HK670 seems to go for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of the HK505, and even on eBay the NAD 7020 had been trading hands for well under us$100), so they're good ways to get more for your audiophile dollar.

I'm sure there must be examples from other manfs as well -- once you're committed to building a production line around a multiple-board device like a receiver, the temptation must be awfully strong to sell the same thing to people who don't want an integrated tuner. But that doesn't mean other details aren't altered to compensate: smaller power supply, for example. Or bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back