Button removal for Grado's
Jul 17, 2001 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 18
sackley, please don't go there! I believe it was Neruda who attempted this mod which led to a hilarious thread on Headwize.
Even if you get the buttons off, you'll be greeted with a blob of what looks like hot glue that is interwoven in the screen. If you want to heat it with a hairdryer and play with it, be my guest.
I tried this mod, because I thought it would look better. When I saw the glue, I got out the glue gun and put that baby right back.
As for sound, I personally don't think it makes a difference. I have the MSPs with no buttons and I held some pennies up to the grills......I could detect no difference at all.
Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2001 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 18
Freeze!!!
ak.gif

Put down the knife and step away from the grados!

wink.gif

But seriously, the mod is not worth the trouble and won't really do much for the sound. (it won't make them into MS-2s!)

Jul 18, 2001 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 18
Poor, poor Neruda.

He just may end up having to explain the "button" incident to his grandchildren.

Jul 18, 2001 at 5:08 AM Post #11 of 18
If the button doesn't affect the sound, why does the MSP and RS-1 sound completely different? In fact, I think they have different drivers which MUST account for the difference in sound. Anyone else have any ideas?

Jul 18, 2001 at 6:39 AM Post #12 of 18
personally I highly doubt they have different drivers. It would have cost too much money to change them, it seems to me, when they could just use the old drivers. Chances are that any change in sound comes from minor differences in the housing or differences in the wiring used.

Jul 18, 2001 at 11:59 AM Post #14 of 18
It was a good thing I asked. I got bored sitting here at my work computer and began to get curious about it. I know the discussion has come up before and I don't remember what you guys said so I thought I would ask. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back