Business Suit and Tie
May 4, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #32 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where on earth are these black suit recs coming from? He's not going to a funeral.

For a business interview (esp. finance or law), you should wear a navy (preferably) or charcoal grey suit with a white shirt (straight point collar).

I agree 100%, however I will say that I do see a lot of people wearing black suits to on campus job interviews (I'm in law school). I personally don't own a black suit and probably won't unless and until I have to attend a funeral.

May 4, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #33 of 104
If you have a K&G Fashion close-by, they have the best combination of price and selection that I've seen for suits and sport coats. Do be sure to get worsted wool, as occasionally you'll come a polyester one, heh.

Joseph A. Banks is good too if they are having a sale, and they almost always are. You'll pay more, but the service is excellent and you'll leave feeling pretty confident. Since this is your first time buying a suit, I'd recommend spending a little extra so someone can be your guide.

Both these places will tailor the suit for you at an additional cost, usually around $20.

May 4, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #34 of 104
I already bout the suit, sorta regretting the pinstripes, but they don't look too flashy at all I think. It's worsted wool I believe, I recall seeing it on the tag. Macy's charged me almost $60 for cutting the sleeves, legs, and widening the waist.
frown.gif

May 5, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #35 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already bout the suit, sorta regretting the pinstripes, but they don't look too flashy at all I think. It's worsted wool I believe, I recall seeing it on the tag. Macy's charged me almost $60 for cutting the sleeves, legs, and widening the waist.
frown.gif

Sounds like you did just fine. As for shoes, the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue in black is a classic.

May 5, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #36 of 104
You people crack me up.
This is a young guy , just getting out of school and getting a job, and you have him looking for $325 shoes and $600 suits.
Sure, $1000 ensamble is no problem. Shoot, buy 5 or 6 at that price. He can wear it while listening to his Orpheus.
eek.gif

Some of the colour advice and stuff is good, but he can find shoes for $60 that would be fine.
Id never wear anything but grippy rubber soles. I hate slipping on ice in the winter.

May 5, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #37 of 104
Quote:

frown.gif

The suit you selected is great - you are headed in the right direction. A navy blue suit with a subtle pinstipe is a classic look. You can be confident in your choice. Meets your budget requirement, too, even with the alteration charges.

You've invested wisely in your most valuable asset - you.

Good start. Congratulations!

Best of luck and hope you get that job.

May 5, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #38 of 104
Quote:

[size=medium]Kirosia[/size] already bout the suit, sorta regretting the pinstripes, but they don't look too flashy at all [size=medium]Kirosia[/size] thinks. It's worsted wool [size=medium]Kirosia[/size] believe, [size=medium]Kirosia[/size] recall seeing it on the tag. Macy's charged [size=medium]Kirosia[/size] almost $60 for cutting the sleeves, legs, and widening the waist.
frown.gif

FTFY

btw, Good luck, and I hope you get that job!!!
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #39 of 104
Buy a used suit, if possible. You will save 75% to 90% on it. Get measured at a tailor and search eBay. A couple of excellent brands are Brooks Bros. and Hickey Freeman. You do not want a cheap suit - it shows. So buy used if you're on a budget.

You want wool in either navy or charcoal. Go for a two button single vent jacket, single breasted, with unpleated and uncuffed pants. This is conservative and will look great forever. Take your suit to a tailor to get it perfect and have it cleaned and pressed.

Get a plain black belt and black oxford shoes. Again, used is good. Measure your most comfortable pair of shoes with a ruler and browse eBay for shoes with the same dimensions. Some brands to look for are Alden, Peal, Barker, Loake, Green, Cheaney, and and anything with leather soles. Actually, if you wear around a 7 or 7.5, I have a pair of Loakes that are too small. PM me and I'll send them to you if you want them.

Get a white dress shirt. Brand isn't that important since it'll be under your jacket. You can get a good shirt at Ross or Marshall's for $20-$30. Then pick up a conservative tie with a small pattern or stripes.

Don't wear any jewelry, but a watch and a pen are acceptable. Get a haircut and give yourself a good shave, too. And no fragrances. Good luck!

May 5, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #40 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but he can find shoes for $60 that would be fine.
Id never wear anything but grippy rubber soles. I hate slipping on ice in the winter.

That shoe suggestion could easily get someone dinged in an interview. It's dumb, but it's true in my experience.

EDIT: As for prices, one can spend a fraction of some of the suggested items, but it's a good idea to approximate their look and feel as closely as possible. You can be sure that similarly-situated graduates will have spent the $. Whether that's "good" or not is another matter, but that's the competition, so one is well-advised to start on equal footing. I consider spending the money on a good suit and shoes that you'll have for years an investment in yourself and your career. YMMV. And obviously, if you don't have the money to spend, then you just do the best you can.

May 6, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #41 of 104
If you wanna do something dark, it's probably better to go grey to charcoal-grey or navy-blue rather than black. Black is kinda for more formal occasions (similar, but not as severe as a tuxedo) or mourning. The shirt color can take you in many directions, but for simplicity's sake, you might go with a white shirt and a tie in the wine or burgundy family. That combination is flexible enough for brown or black shoes. You'll be surprised at how different the combo looks just by changing the shoes. Hope this helps…

May 6, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #42 of 104

Quote:
You people crack me up.
This is a young guy , just getting out of school and getting a job, and you have him looking for $325 shoes and $600 suits.
Sure, $1000 ensamble is no problem. Shoot, buy 5 or 6 at that price. He can wear it while listening to his Orpheus.
eek.gif

Some of the colour advice and stuff is good, but he can find shoes for $60 that would be fine.

$325... I wish!  They sell for 600-700 but you can find irregulars once a year for that price.  The difference between a good pair of shoes and a cheap pair is much more noticable than the quality difference in suits.   Plus I am assuming he will get a job and wear these a long time

They are made from a horses a$$.  Coincidently thats what we call people in the buisness world who sport $60 rubber grip shoes   :)  

May 6, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #43 of 104

Coincidently thats what we call people in the buisness world who sport $60 rubber grip shoes   :)  

Sadly, those are what I currently own at the moment. Any specific recommendations for a very budget shoe?

May 6, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #44 of 104

I highly agree with the quote below.  Make sure that whatever you get is appropriate.  There may be places where a full on suit and tie will not be the best choice, probably even in "business" jobs.  Some places are more conservative in approach, some more liberal.  Know your target audience, find something that YOU LIKE and are comfortable in, then knock their socks off.

Quote:
Remember, always dress for the job you aspire to.

If at all possible, visit the work environment before you interview and buy your clothes so you can see how people there dress for work - then you'll know for sure.

May 6, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #45 of 104
Wear the Ironman suit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back