Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Jul 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #631 of 1,995
I'm with you Darku.  When I get carried away sometimes, 11 or 12 or even 1:00 just doesn't cut it.  I need 2:00, or sometimes, just once in awhile, maybe 2:30.  Just shy of clipping.
Quote:
When I want to rock hard I even use 2 o'clock on high gain
very_evil_smiley.gif
so...

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #632 of 1,995
Quote:
In my personal tests at home DAC section of the Conductor was better almost on every aspect compared to: M2tech Young + Palmer battery supply, Moon 300D, Electrocompaniet PD-1, Chord QuteHD and Chord DAC64 and many other cheaper DACs.

I also consider it slightly behind M2Tech Vaughan, but not by a large margin. Vaughan has a better preamp section and slightly better DAC section than Conductor.
Tested on high end speaker systems and headphones.
Yes, Conductor is underrated.

Wow, that's quite an accomplishment esp considering that Chord DAC64 based on some tests is about the same level as NAD M51

Testing a NAD M51 versus a Chord 64 DAC - my results | whathifi.com

DarKu, did you have a chance compare QuteHD against DAC64, what was your impression, btw, was QuteHD equipped with PSU or just stock WallWart?

Thanks in advance

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #633 of 1,995
Quote:
Wow, that's quite an accomplishment esp considering that Chord DAC64 based on some tests is about the same level as NAD M51

DarKu, did you have a chance compare QuteHD against DAC64, what was your impression, btw, was QuteHD equipped with PSU or just stock WallWart?

Thanks in advance

The tester used an Airport Express for the M51 and an Apple TV for the Chord. That's not what I'd call a good transport to begin with, so both might be a significant bottleneck in this test.

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #634 of 1,995
Quote:

The tester used an Airport Express for the M51 and an Apple TV for the Chord. That's not what I'd call a good transport to begin with, so both might be a significant bottleneck in this test.

At least they both had an even playing field.
Yes, I wish he could compare both on something like coaxial, but poster only went as far as trying it on NAD

Quote:
The only scintilla of difference was when I played a CD into the NAD (coaxial) and played the same song streamed to the Chord. The NAD, possibly just edged it.

That BTW does not surprise me much as Chord DAC64 is one serious piece of equipment, sold over $3K when it was introduced, and sometimes newer does not necessarily mean better esp. for DACs.

Anyhow would like to hear if Darku has anything to say
Based on some scarce doctorhead.ru reviews/impressions QuteHD performed quite pale against older, bigger brother (DAC64), but I am pretty sure it was with stock power supply.

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #635 of 1,995
Doesn't surprise me.  The 6moons crew thinks the Metrum Hex is about the only DAC on another level while adding that it's also a great pre and headphone amp... just saying :wink:

Jul 29, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #636 of 1,995
Interesting review comparing Burson against M51

http://bursonaudioblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/burson-conductor-with-hanss-acoustic.html

But that could be pre-firmware upgraded NAD.

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #637 of 1,995
And just to counterbalance other glowing reviews
http://www.headfonia.com/powerhouse-burson-conductor/2/

Quote:
Back on the DAC section, within the context of being paired with arguably the best solid state amplifier around, yes the DAC section does fall short.
confused.gif
However as I’ve said before, it’s a very musical DAC and I almost never find the need to bypass the Conductor’s DAC and hook up a separate stand alone DAC as the music coming out of it was very enjoyable. Though DAC/Amp boxes like the Lavry DA11, the April Music Eximus, or even the Fostex HP-A8 all offer a superior DAC section to the one found on the Conductor, as a whole package they always fall short on the amplifier section.

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #638 of 1,995
He also said this :wink:

[size=12.800000190734863px]The more I think about it, the more I feel that the internal DAC pairing with the Soloist-based amp is where the magic is at. [/size]

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #639 of 1,995
Quote:

Thanks in advance

Let me just begin saying that best DAC I listened to was a Chord QBD 76 HDSD, It blown my mind how good it was only by using it's USB input, I can only think about how it would sound with a high-end S/PDIF interface.

DAC64 is still a lot better that QuteHD. I listened QuteHD in stock form and while it was good it didn't impress me. I preferred M2Tech Young (without the Palmer battery) to it at that time, as beying more lush and more liquid sounding, same goes for Conductor - it sounded better than QuteHD
DAC64 unfortunately I didn't listen to its full potential, it doesn't have a USB input so i tested it with a M2tech hi-face and with AD-Labs Mars (both entry level S/PDIF interfaces), sound was better than that heard on QuteHD but certainly not better than Conductor on USB.
My friend who loaned the DAC64 tells me that it needs a very good transport or S/PDIF interface to sound at its best, so I think i didn't heard it at its full potential. At that time Conductor beat both Chord DACs and the M2tech Young regarding overall performance.

I want to add one more thing. While Conductor on it's USB input sounds very nice, it doesnt sound at its full potential that way. I purchased recently an Audiobyte Hydra-X S/PDIF interface and connected to Conductor it's just like listening a another much better DAC. It changed Conductor very much. I don't like to exaggerate, but it is really a different beast with a good transport / S/PDIF interface. I suspect using Audiophileo or other hi-end interfaces will lead to the same results as mine.

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #641 of 1,995
Quote:
Let me just begin saying that best DAC I listened to was a Chord QBD 76 HDSD, It blown my mind how good it was only by using it's USB input, I can only think about how it would sound with a high-end S/PDIF interface.

DAC64 is still a lot better that QuteHD. I listened QuteHD in stock form and while it was good it didn't impress me. I preferred M2Tech Young (without the Palmer battery) to it at that time, as beying more lush and more liquid sounding, same goes for Conductor - it sounded better than QuteHD
DAC64 unfortunately I didn't listen to its full potential, it doesn't have a USB input so i tested it with a M2tech hi-face and with AD-Labs Mars (both entry level S/PDIF interfaces), sound was better than that heard on QuteHD but certainly not better than Conductor on USB.
My friend who loaned the DAC64 tells me that it needs a very good transport or S/PDIF interface to sound at its best, so I think i didn't heard it at its full potential. At that time Conductor beat both Chord DACs and the M2tech Young regarding overall performance.

I want to add one more thing. While Conductor on it's USB input sounds very nice, it doesnt sound at its full potential that way. I purchased recently an Audiobyte Hydra-X S/PDIF interface and connected to Conductor it's just like listening a another much better DAC. It changed Conductor very much. I don't like to exaggerate, but it is really a different beast with a good transport / S/PDIF interface. I suspect using Audiophileo or other hi-end interfaces will lead to the same results as mine.

Thanks for detailed reply, really appreciate it. Your QuteHD vs DAC64 comments echoes what I've read on doctorhead.ru.
BTW, new Burson Conductor review from headfonia.

Burson Vs Violectric: Conductor Vs V200+V800

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #642 of 1,995

Users who are viewing this thread

Back