Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Jul 13, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #601 of 1,995
You can answer that yourself.  Plug it into the UPS, go high gain, crank the volume... if you hear no electrical noise... no harm no foul.  If there is, go to the wall and see what that does.  I used it on my powerbar on the audio taps without issue.

Thanks, i guess im good as i hear literally nothing when I do this.

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #602 of 1,995
Quote:
Personally, I trust Burson in their original engineering. They made decisions on all engineering aspects that all work together nicely. Changing some of that engineering, especially without the same level of R&D, doesn't seem to make sense to me.  

Also, I don't know how a power supply could be 'faster'. Electricity flows at a set speed.

By faster he probably meant transient response, the ability of an amp to start and stop a sine wave or signal immediately, or as fast as physically/electrically possible, thereby ensuring fidelity to the transient surges of the original music.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #603 of 1,995
I've been trying to contact Dennis or Alex at Burson via email but keep getting the following from the MAILER-DAEMON at Yahoo:

<info@bursonaudio.com>:
198.136.54.104 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550-Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client, or login to the
550-IMAP/POP3 server before sending your message.  omp1021.mail.bf1.yahoo.com
550-[98.139.212.212]:32322 is not permitted to relay through this server
550 without authentication.
Giving up on 198.136.54.104.

I've never had this problem previously in emailing them from my Yahoo account which hasn't changed.  Is anyone else experiencing the same problem??

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #604 of 1,995
I've been trying to contact Dennis or Alex at Burson via email but keep getting the following from the MAILER-DAEMON at Yahoo:

<
info@bursonaudio.com
>:

198.136.54.104 does not like recipient.

Remote host said: 550-Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client, or login to the

550-IMAP/POP3 server before sending your message.  omp1021.mail.bf1.yahoo.com

550-[98.139.212.212]:32322 is not permitted to relay through this server

550 without authentication.

Giving up on 198.136.54.104.

[COLOR=000000]I've never had this problem previously in emailing them from my Yahoo account which hasn't changed.  Is anyone else experiencing the same problem??
[/COLOR]

See- https://www.facebook.com/BursonAudio/posts/482772215149934

Guys, we had some technical problems with our email accounts, we are working on a solution with our email provider.

If you sent us an email and got no reply, please re-send it. We will appreciate that.

Sales, technical support or warranty extension: info @ bursonaudio.com

For the remaining guys on the loaner program: aftersales @ bursonaudio.com

Our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #605 of 1,995
Jul 20, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #606 of 1,995
Hi Solude, and fellow Conductor enthusiasts,

I assumed the Burson was pure class A. Is there any chance you could explain to a layman what you mean by Class A bias being increased?

Does the Burson go into A/B mode under certain conditions? If so what are such conditions, and what are the effects on sound performance?

R'gards.

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #607 of 1,995
We have no hard numbers, just scope measurements and anecdotal evidence.  One it's pretty safe to assume it is class A to the output devices since prior to that, we're talking tiny current numbers.  The output however is speced at 4W into 16ohm but it runs fairly cold.  The benefit of bias is to remove harmonics, reproduce the entire wave and not just the top half etc.  Ideally you want the bias to be in around twice what the amp will ever be called upon to deliver.  So in the case of the Burson, it's probably safe to say it's pure class A for high impedance headphones and not for low impedance.  The devices they use on the output can deliver way more current than the power supply could feed so other than more heat I see no reason not to raise it to a level the power supply can still handle.  At least to the point where the case is very warm.  Then you would know it was pure class A even into orthos.

Jul 20, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #609 of 1,995
Pass Labs has a great write up on it if you want more detail and pictures to visualize it.

Jul 22, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #611 of 1,995
I love the smell of Hi-Fi equipment in the morning. Conductor arrived today. I would like to express my gratitude to the all of contributors in this thread and the Soloist thread. I've been lurking for a while and reading your experiences (positive and negative) encouraged me to take a leap of faith. 

Been playing constantly burning in (warming up) and listening. I purchased its used at a pretty good price considering it is only a couple of weeks old. I am very impressed with the sonic improvement in my system thus far. Not too sure how much use it has seen from the previous owner, so I don't know if I should expect much change in sound over time. I'll treat it as though it is new and keep it running, but suffice it to say that I won't be at all disappointed if it is currently running at its full potential.

I will endeavour to post some impressions of it with my other gear soon (I'm a noob audiophile, so don't expect too much), however I first need to do some trouble-shooting.

I can hear electrical interference between songs an during quire passage (approx -50db). There is also an issue with Foobar - WASAPI freezing up. DS works fine though. 

R'gards

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #612 of 1,995
I can hear electrical interference between songs an during quire passage (approx -50db). There is also an issue with Foobar - WASAPI freezing up. DS works fine though. 

If you're hearing noise between songs, you may have a problem as it should be dead quiet. If you are using USB, did you install the driver?

Jul 22, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #613 of 1,995
Hi,

The A/C noise was due to being plugged into a board with other equipment. I foolishly paid lip service to the point in the manual stating that it should be plugged into its own power point.

Now its sorted I can only hear my tinnitus between tracks and during quiet passages:)

Cheers

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #614 of 1,995
Hi folks,

I am wondering what volume/ gain position people are using with the soloist/ conductor and LDC-2/3, and does anybody know the approximate SPL at those positions when tracks are at -0 db?

I'm unsure as to what is a safe listening level as this pairing sounds fantastic and is calling for more volume. Would 12 O'clock on low gain exceed safe levels. I don't want my tinnitus to get any worse.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back