Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Jul 1, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #586 of 1,995
Phototristan, you should install Burson's OSX USB driver - if you are running the Conductor directly via USB, that is.

Sound was terribly distorted using Mountain Lion's native drivers. Their Tenor driver runs in the background (ensuring good communication with the DAC). So it's not anything you have to play around with once installed.

I would be curious to hear from people using the Conductor with Audirvana.
Are you using Audirvana phototristan?

Luke

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #587 of 1,995
Phototristan, you should install Burson's OSX USB driver - if you are running the Conductor directly via USB, that is.

Sound was terribly distorted using Mountain Lion's native drivers. Their Tenor driver runs in the background (ensuring good communication with the DAC). So it's not anything you have to play around with once installed.

I would be curious to hear from people using the Conductor with Audirvana.
Are you using Audirvana phototristan?

Luke

No, but I do use BitPerfect. Not sure if the conductor works with that but I guess I will find out.

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #588 of 1,995
Curious if anyone else used the PCX modded version of the conductor? @Ruby, do you have an update after a more extensive burn-in? 

Jul 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #589 of 1,995
Question - should I just use low gain if it gets loud enough without the volume knob way up? Or is there some benefit to using mid or high gain and turning the volume knob lower instead?

Jul 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #590 of 1,995
Quote:
Question - should I just use low gain if it gets loud enough without the volume knob way up? Or is there some benefit to using mid or high gain and turning the volume knob lower instead?

Generally, there aren't any benefit to using higher gain.
Higher gain means the internal noise is amplified further, which is rarely a good thing.

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #591 of 1,995
Quote:

Generally, there aren't any benefit to using higher gain.
Higher gain means the internal noise is amplified further, which is rarely a good thing.

Thanks. I was confused because in the instruction manual it sort of implies you can only get the max 4W output in high gain.

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #594 of 1,995
  Curious if anyone else used the PCX modded version of the conductor? @Ruby, do you have an update after a more extensive burn-in?

Classical Orchestra sounds fantastic with the LCD-3's and Signature Burson.  I never even listened to it before except a little chamber music. It was always' congested and there was nothing to keep me listening to it. But, with the PCX Burson it's a whole new ballgame. There's an increase of dynamics. But I have had solid state dynamic amps before and didn't like them. Just to cold and sterile sounding. Where was the magic that brought music that sooth's the soul? The PCX-S has good separation of instruments. I never understood why the Burson does not have a blacker back ground. What's up with that? Ok, stop complaining. Instruments, they have weight, timbre and even individual dynamics, depending on the recording of course. There's more beauty to the dynamic sweeps of collective instrument's as well.
    Let me stop just a minute. I don't want to mislead anyone. The statement above is not to be taken to a huge extent. I can not perfectly hear individual voices in a choir occupying their own individual space nor is the description above to be taken to it's literal end.  Perhaps its due to the added power supply and over all transparency of the PCX Burson.  Listening in to a less congested sound.
    There's more beauty to the dynamic sweeps of collective instrument groups as well. I love the extra control of the PCX's volume attenuator and wonder how I did with out it before. But the Burson's still has the most luxurious feel to it. I hesitate to guess whether there is a sound difference between the two. A small gain with the Vampire gold over copper rca jacks. I don't think the rest of the upgrade's parts were just thrown into the mix because they're expensive audiophile grade parts. I suspect PCX  may have been aiming at a solid state amp with a tube amp sound Signature. If you have ever heard of Anthem then you may remember their line of solid state/tube  hybrids. The Burson and it's already stellar sound qualities makes an ideal candidate. And they pull it off nicely I think.
    It's no small thing when you find a new appreciation and love for a whole new genre of music. As I remember the stock Burson could make instruments and vocals sound real. With the PCX version think more analog like. Less harsh and smoother around the edges.
    I spend most of my time now going thru countless audiophile recordings at HDTracks and LinnRecords. Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, and all the Jazz.  One thing about the LCD-3's is they image BIG. If the amp your listening to does not sound good your going to get a double dose. The PCX passes with flying colors. Diana Krall, Norah Jones, and all the rest sound great. I'm not big on rock anymore so you will have to wait until I check it out (but be warned I'm the laziest man on the earth). I did listen to Johnny Cash last night and I was right there in the room with him. I could of kissed him but he might not of liked that. And, I wouldn't have either.
    Vocal's as I just mentioned sound big and palpable. You can practically see their facial expression's thru their voices. I credit this to the Signature Burson. It has warmth and the power to deliver a more personal side of things. Maybe I'm touching on things we call musical and a more organic expression of things.. I get this "I am there" in the studio with them sensation rather than the "They are here." in my living room.
    I venture to guess that  I feel more of an intimate connection with the music because of this type of presentation. The stock Burson is cold in this area to my ears and I did not feel this kind of musical enjoyment with it. But, I am a sentimental old fool anyway. And folk's; it's more difficult to tell someone what your hearing than you might think.
   The Signature Burson is a great dac/preamp/amp. It is aptly named in that it is more powerful, more musically expressive, and worthy to partner with the Audeze LCD-3's.  But, the 3's are not the only headphones for the Burson. It brought out the best in my HD650's as well. Maybe even more in some area's I wont go into now. How many others will give it a try?

Edit: 11 months have passed since purchase and No problems with the Signature. It remains a less digital, less harsh and more organic than the stock unit. Experimenting with cables has unmasked more detail, bigger soundstage and blacker background. The biggest improvement though has been adding the Audiophilleo 2. The 48 step Khozmo attenuator remains maintenance free and I hear no reason to wish for further gains. I certainly would have done some things differently but I don't regret buying the Signature. It's been a great unit to build on. Happy Listening.

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #595 of 1,995
Given the cost, not too many.  Find another word than powerful though, because it didn't come back a 6W amp :wink:

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #596 of 1,995
Quote:
Given the cost, not too many.  Find another word than powerful though, because it didn't come back a 6W amp :wink:

The cost is substantial but it's already been pointed out that it's not unreasonable. 

The bigger, faster and quieter power supply will make the sound more dynamic, and solid (more weight and authority) but not technically higher in power. Try jumping up in the air while standing on sand...or, on concrete. That is what a stiffer, quieter, and larger supply does to an amplifier. It becomes explosive. My 98lb Jeff Rowland 150 watt amp technically was only 150 watts. But what would you want to listen to? Thank you for pointing out my error Solude.

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #597 of 1,995
Personally, I trust Burson in their original engineering. They made decisions on all engineering aspects that all work together nicely. Changing some of that engineering, especially without the same level of R&D, doesn't seem to make sense to me.  

Also, I don't know how a power supply could be 'faster'. Electricity flows at a set speed.

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #598 of 1,995
Ah but when I said the price was fair, it was based on part cost not whether the parts offer an improvement :wink:  I think if the Conductor is your end game... the upgrade is worth it.  $2500 for a high middle game amp/dac/pre combo is good value but if you have more to spend there are gains to be had... for more money.

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #599 of 1,995
Question - should I plug the Conductor directly into the wall or into my battery backup system? 

I read in the manual that Burson recommends plugging directly into the wall outlet to avoid a bad quality power strip and things like that. 

But my power sometimes blips out so I'm a bit leary about plugging directly into the wall. Any thoughts?

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #600 of 1,995
You can answer that yourself.  Plug it into the UPS, go high gain, crank the volume... if you hear no electrical noise... no harm no foul.  If there is, go to the wall and see what that does.  I used it on my powerbar on the audio taps without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back