Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1
May 9, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #271 of 4,426
  Hello,

I've tested with both cables.  The differences between the 2 cables are the Uber brings overall openness/imaging/separation to another level.

There's been other posts in this thread asking if Uber worth the $ and my answer is an absolute yes.  To quote my colleague to whom with very good ears (still under 30 years of age)...the uber (compared to the Silver) brings airiness, dimension & depth, imaging...all in higher sophistications with power and control.  

To bring more pleasure to you, you might consider to have the Ref.1+Silver for a period of time.  Since Ref.1+silver itself already can deliver exceptional performance, you just need to keep your craving [for uber] in check for a period of time and concentrating enjoying what the combo could delivery.  In your next stage, you then go for the Uber and that would bring another whole new experience.  By doing so, with the same amount of money spent you can general excitement twice  :)  

I'll need to spend more time playing around with the different cables but for me I seem to feel the Uber fills the lower mids more nicely (and therefore to my taste) than the standard cable.

May 9, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #272 of 4,426

I'll need to spend more time playing around with the different cables but for me I seem to feel the Uber fills the lower mids more nicely (and therefore to my taste) than the standard cable.

Anak,

The Uber just made itself so unique and stands out from the rest.  I'm totally addicted to it and there is no way of return.

However, on the road (like traveling on train), I'll be using the Silver instead and Uber is not an option for traveling (too much care required).

May 9, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #277 of 4,426
Oh I quite like my re600, have excellent instrument timbre and really precise concert hall type staging with 901 on balanced and is still one of my preferred combos for large classical pieces!

On the sibilance for 1plus2, what cable are you using? I'm using silver/gold mainly. Out of the album the "worst" offender is Hello Brother but even this track is acceptable to me in my ak240, and didn't recall finding it problematic on 901.

I'm using Double Helix cable with my 1p2 - like it better than silver/gold (the only Tralucent cable I have tried - would love to try Uber but what's the point of getting hooked to great SQ if it's not suitable for commuting which is over 90% of time I use Tera).  
With the DHC cable there is still some sibilance - I feel somewhat less than with Tralucent silver/gold but it's not completely gone (maybe uber is needed to completely get rid of it).
I used to think re600 was pretty good before I got 1p2 (except for guitar based rock music - distortion never sounded real to me on re600 - 1p2 are the only iem I have heard that cover this extremely well).
But after I got 1p2 and got used to that wide stage I have a very hard time going back to pretty much any iem.

May 11, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #278 of 4,426

Actually I still don't have my ZX1 back yet. Currawong still has it but I should be able to get it back sometime this weekend.

Would love to hear some feedback on this pairing as well whenever you get your ZX1 back. Very interested in this IEM...

May 11, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #281 of 4,426
We've seen some comparisons to the 846 and Roxanne for these, any word on the treble? I've read here that the Ref. 1 is a darker sounding IEM similar to the Roxanne. I wasn't a huge fan of the Roxanne for that reason (sound was too thick for my taste). Right now the best IEM I've heard personally is the 846. Can anyone provide comparisons with the treble and overall sound signature, esp with the 846's brighter white filter?

May 11, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #282 of 4,426
  We've seen some comparisons to the 846 and Roxanne for these, any word on the treble? I've read here that the Ref. 1 is a darker sounding IEM similar to the Roxanne. I wasn't a huge fan of the Roxanne for that reason (sound was too thick for my taste). Right now the best IEM I've heard personally is the 846. Can anyone provide comparisons with the treble and overall sound signature, esp with the 846's brighter white filter?

Not sure if my conversation with a 846 owner is relevant to your question or not.

I lend my 1Plus2 to my friend, who works as a shop keeper in one of the head fi shops in Hong Kong and owned 846/AK240, and he told me after the audition that he would not like to continue listening to the 1Plus2 as he felt that he'd find trouble going back to his 846...the wide sound stage, in particular, was much better than the 846 and he was totally impressed by the 1Plus2.  While my friend was listening to my 1Plus2, I briefly plug his 846 into my AK240 and was not impressed and the audition only last for less than 2 minutes.  

As a 1Plus2 and Ref.1 owner myself, I would say the Ref.1 brings performance to another level.  Ref.1 maintains or exceeds the sound stage of 1Plus2 (with better instrument/vocal separations) and the Ref.1 brings an IEM set up closer to a headphone performance with its low end performance.  

May 11, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #283 of 4,426
  Anak,

The Uber just made itself so unique and stands out from the rest.  I'm totally addicted to it and there is no way of return.

However, on the road (like traveling on train), I'll be using the Silver instead and Uber is not an option for traveling (too much care required).

I guess I'm going to pass on the Ref 1.  As much as I would prefer a great universal IEM, I  would always wonder and feel that I'm missing out not having the uber cable.  I've decided to go with the K10 and with the money saved on an uber cable, I can use that towards a HUGO.  Once I sell off some of other headphones and dac and amp, I should be able to get the k10, hugo, and the ak120.  Well I'd still have to throw in some more cash, but if I went with the uber route, it would just be too much.   

May 11, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #284 of 4,426
  Not sure if my conversation with a 846 owed is relevant to your question or not.

I lend my 1Plus2 to my friend, who works as a shop keeper in one of the head fi shops in Hong Kong and owned 846/AK240, and he told me after the audition that he would not like to continue listening to the 1Plus2 as he felt that he'd find trouble going back to his 846...the wide sound stage, in particular, was much better than the 846 and he was totally impressed by the 1Plus2.  While my friend was listening to my 1Plus2, I briefly plug his 846 into my AK240 and was not impressed and the audition only last for less than 2 minutes.  

As a 1Plus2 and Ref.1 owner myself, I would say the Ref.1 brings performance to another level.  Ref.1 maintains or exceeds the sound stage of 1Plus2 (with better instrument/vocal separations) and the Ref.1 brings an IEM set up closer to a headphone performance with its low end performance.  

Wow! Well, that's a pretty strong endorsement. I promised myself that I'd never purchase another set of headphones without a demo, but these impressions are pretty hard to ignore. The nice thing is that these universals are rare enough that I can probably resell them for not too much of a loss if I find they're not to my taste.

Any idea what the lag time on delivery after ordering them is at this point?

Thanks for your impressions, btw!

May 11, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #285 of 4,426
I don't like thick. I really don't like it. I appreciate warmth and richness, but when details and imaging get sloppy, I'm out. I did not like the ASG2. 

I'll say again, I think the Ref. 1 defies physics to a certain extent and certainly challenges your preconceptions of audio. Having rich, robust, beautiful mids can't sound reference, right? The more I listen to the Ref. 1, the more I am convinced this is something really special. I abhor thick. The Ref. 1 has never even come close to approaching the triggers for too thick for me. 

I did some comparisons with the K3003 and DITA Answer. The Ref. 1 wipes the floor with those earphones. There's no two ways about it. The vocals are more rich on the Ref. 1, but sound loads more realistic and natural. Bass is simply no contest. K3003 and DITA are a quality bass, but lack that live air feel and emotion, but not at the expense of of Ref. 1 sounding anything less than tight and clean.
Ref. 1 bass sounds like you're witnessing a live upright bass at the Jazz gig, with the right weight. And decay is fast, and texture is just so natural sounding. Highs are more refined. Soundstage is layered, and imaging precise. 

With the K3003, you can't accidentally get too loud with them, they will just spit their metallic spikes in your face. I've realized I can get to listening way too loud with Ref. 1, as it just sounds natural and I get so caught up. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back