Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1
Feb 13, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #2,462 of 4,426

You have accurately identified the quality of bass, not about how much, but the texture of the low end is something the Ref.1 excel.  My latest experience was a pair of AKR03 Roxanne and I was trying to accept its difference in sound signature and at the end I gave up listening to it...it was that far off the Ref.1 IMHO.

I'm not sure if we have the same definition of texture, because I didn't find the Ref 1's bass to be fast enough to properly render low end textures properly.

I found it quite slow due to the sheer massiveness of the bass, and the resulting bloat. On tracks that didn't call for much air movement, the texturing improved a bit, leading me to conclude that it was indeed the fault of the bass quantity.

Just my 2 cents of course.

Feb 13, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #2,463 of 4,426

I'm not sure if we have the same definition of texture, because I didn't find the Ref 1's bass to be fast enough to properly render low end textures properly.

I found it quite slow due to the sheer massiveness of the bass, and the resulting bloat. On tracks that didn't call for much air movement, the texturing improved a bit, leading me to conclude that it was indeed the fault of the bass quantity.

Just my 2 cents of course.

May I ask what cable & source that derive the above impressions?

Feb 13, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #2,464 of 4,426
  May I ask what cable & source that derive the above impressions?

Silver&gold, with several different sources.

I experimented with cables, and I don't think any of them would reduce the bass enough to get the Ref.1 to ideal levels. Listening to it made me long for a 1plus2 to clear the air.

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #2,465 of 4,426

I experimented with cables, and I don't think any of them would reduce the bass enough to get the Ref.1 to ideal levels. Listening to it made me long for a 1plus2 to clear the air.

Have you tried AK240?

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #2,466 of 4,426

I found the biggest improvement when I used the spiral dots. Indeed the bass was too much for me and bloated also using the sony hybrids. On the other hand the Ortofon large tips and Monster supertips made them almost bass light while pronouncing the highs resembling quite a lot the 1Plus2 but that not sound right since the fit was not proper.

At a certain point while I was comparing them to the 1Plus2 I was about to list them for sale. They sounded really bass monsters quantity wise while missing the quality everybody kept describing. As a matter of fact I found them congested in comparison to the 1Plus2. That was indeed strange since all opinions here pointed to the other direction, holographic, super deep bass, smooth and extended highs. 

I was really disappointed but was lucky to receive the spiral dots in the next few days and then I rediscovered them :)

Quantity wise bass equals the Kaedes that are not bass shy but neither bass monsters. 

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #2,467 of 4,426
Have you tried AK240?

I'm not really one for DAPs, and my experience with them puts them in the same league as changing cables.

I found the biggest improvement when I used the spiral dots. Indeed the bass was too much for me and bloated also using the sony hybrids. On the other hand the Ortofon large tips and Monster supertips made them almost bass light while pronouncing the highs resembling quite a lot the 1Plus2 but that not sound right since the fit was not proper.

At a certain point while I was comparing them to the 1Plus2 I was about to list them for sale. They sounded really bass monsters quantity wise while missing the quality everybody kept describing. As a matter of fact I found them congested in comparison to the 1Plus2. That was indeed strange since all opinions here pointed to the other direction, holographic, super deep bass, smooth and extended highs. 

I was really disappointed but was lucky to receive the spiral dots in the next few days and then I rediscovered them :)

Quantity wise bass equals the Kaedes that are not bass shy but neither bass monsters. 

Yeah I tried something like that. But I found that tips that reduce the bass also exacerbate the midrange spikes, throwing off timbre even more.

Feb 13, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #2,468 of 4,426
I agree, but that usually happens with tips that don't seal perfectly and leave room for air. In case if the spin fits they do seal perfectly, at least in my case and you don't get the spiky mid-highs.

I feel the spiral dots main difference resides on the flange. They are softer and less dense than any other tips I tried while having enough resistance to not loose form while in ear.

The sony hybrids and fake hybrids are denser and harder while having a smaller bore. This characteristics in a tip usually pronounce the mid bass and smooth the treble. It's not a case that they are considered by many the best for the EX1000 and imho not occasionally designed that way by sony.

On the other hand I found the spin fits to be too soft and loose form while on ear. Also I couldn't get a good fit with them and the sound tends to be sibilant as a result.

Feb 13, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #2,469 of 4,426
I have had the most luck with the stock ortofon tips that come with the ref 1 and also the silicone tips that come with my um mentors.
It tied the spin fit but found they hurt my ears. I also cut down some foams I had but that ended badly.

Ultimately I love them with the small clear tips that come with them :)

These jvc tips though seems to be worth a look

Feb 13, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #2,471 of 4,426
I concur. I find them nicely adjustable: deep insertion for more bass, less insertion depth for lighter bass.
I can always find the perfect 'sweet spot' for the best sound...

Yup :)
Most of the time I use the smalls but sometimes at work I run medium with shallow insert when people at work are annoying me all the time. Less irritation in the ear
Apart from people annoying me I can wear them all day with no issue.

Feb 14, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #2,472 of 4,426

I'm surprised by this. I considered the Kaedes bass to be a quite a bit less in quantity than the Ref 1... Actually a bit too bass light for my tastes. The Sui has more bass quantity than the Kaede. The Ref 1 still has quite a bit more bass IMO than the Sui. But not so mcuh where I'd call it muddy or congested. The tips definitely will play a role in this as will the source. I haven't been listening to the Ref 1s a tone lately. Mostly using the SE5 these days due to the fit and isolation.

To answer your question regarding bass quality/naturalness vs BA. Dynamics get the go all the way. The SE5 bass is superb IMO. Very good for a BA but still not up to snuff IMO to the 1Plus2 or Ref1 in those areas. Quality it is top notch though. Just doesn't quite have that natural decay you expect from dynamics. Nor the body and texture. But the SE5 has come pretty darn close IMO overall where I really don't have any complaints. But comparing them directly of course, no go :wink:.

Feb 14, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #2,474 of 4,426
I had not tried the Kaedes with the spiral dots. I've used them exclusively with the fake sony hybrids and I find them comparable in quantity and quality with the ref1 + jvc tips.

The hybrids have a way of accentuating bass IMO and not in a good way. It impacts the bass and treble. Kills the staging. Not that that applies to the fake tips. Haven't tried them. Generally fake tips will not give the same effect.

I use the large grey silicone tips that came with the TF10s. I was able to order more of them from a store on amazon that stocks genuine UE parts. A bit spendy but they work the best by far with me on the Suis. Tips last extremely long. Pretty much the only IEM I use those tips for though. They should have sm and med available as well.

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #2,475 of 4,426

The hybrids have a way of accentuating bass IMO and not in a good way. It impacts the bass and treble. Kills the staging. Not that that applies to the fake tips. Haven't tried them. Generally fake tips will not give the same effect.

I use the large grey silicone tips that came with the TF10s. I was able to order more of them from a store on amazon that stocks genuine UE parts. A bit spendy but they work the best by far with me on the Suis. Tips last extremely long. Pretty much the only IEM I use those tips for though. They should have sm and med available as well.

What is hybrid tip?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back