Brainwavz' new portable headphone amplifier: AP001
Nov 10, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #226 of 308
  Well done Audrey.  Brainwavz service MASS DIS. Campaign is impeccable - as always.  Impressive 
smile.gif

^
FTFY!!! :wink:

We're trying our best to keep everyone happy!
beyersmile.png

Thanks dear Brooko!

^
We are all well fed thanks to ya'.
beerchug.gif

Esp. in Brookos case sheep fatten for the slaughter. hoho
very_evil_smiley.gif

900x900px-LL-f8d991df_avatar.jpeg
... LMAO this avi is just too cute and fitting. <333s  : P

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #228 of 308
  ^
FTFY!!! :wink:

^
We are all well fed thanks to ya'.
beerchug.gif

Esp. in Brookos case sheep fatten for the slaughter. hoho
very_evil_smiley.gif

900x900px-LL-f8d991df_avatar.jpeg
... LMAO this avi is just too cute and fitting. <333s  : P

Lol, either way, if we're all happy in the end... it's all good!

And YOU, are such a troll... At least I can't help but laugh every time you post something!
floatsmile.png

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #229 of 308

Lol, either way, if we're all happy in the end... it's all good!

And YOU, are such a troll... At least I can't help but laugh every time you post something!
floatsmile.png

^
Welp since you're happy and i am happy with these AP001s, just we're just one happy family......... besides that black sheep that is. : P
900x900px-LL-2ca4bf38_59499-heomi-com-t-ara-jiyeon-19062324a.gif
... shots fyred!!! :wink:
Guess my troll job is done here, no need for me to write any reviews of these.
ksc75smile.gif

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!
... EZ.
cool.gif

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #231 of 308
What do you mean mission accomplished! Still waiting on your full review! :p

^
Was just trollin' ya' why of course. Man listening to my ATH CKS1000s with my Clip+/AP001 combo with bass set to (-3) and treble (-3) these are damn amazing!!!

Wasn't impressed with these ATH CKS1Ks after i re-purchased them from my audition long ago due to so many great budget-fi gears that has been released of late such as the VSonic VSD3S and Ostry KC06, but these are FINALLY impressing me again with this cheapo combo. :)

Sadly the VSonic VSD3S doesn't sound good with this setup, cuz it even makes their mids/micro details recessed in comparison to my C5/X5 combo.
blink.gif
Has always been impressed with the VSD3S mids/micro details but with the Clip+/AP001 it sound so underwhelming. LMAO

With EQ my ATH CKS1000s sounds better the Clip+/AP001 than my C5/X5 combo which kinda makes sense since the Clip+ is more bland/neutral so the more V-shape sound of the CKS1Ks is tamed a bit esp. when the bass and TREBLE is lowered. They sound a bit hot/thin on the C5/X5 which gels better with the warmer sound of the VSD3S which also makes sense.

edit: Based on the observations above i think Brainwavz made a wise choice to make the more neutral sounding Deltas as the combo package with this lil' AP001 amp cuz other bassy iems will less likely gel well with them. Have not tried my S5 with with my Clip+/AP001 setup yet. Will do in due tyme but i am not feeling good about it. haha Haven't touched those S5s since i last reviewed them. : P

Nov 10, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #232 of 308
I still like the iPhone 5S > AP001 > T1 combo (I can see the audiophiles groaning at the thought).  Was listening to it again for a couple of hours last night.  Just need to pair the right headphones ......

Would imagine it would go great with a pair of DT880s as well.

Nov 10, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #233 of 308
  I still like the iPhone 5S > AP001 > T1 combo (I can see the audiophiles groaning at the thought).  Was listening to it again for a couple of hours last night.  Just need to pair the right headphones ......

Would imagine it would go great with a pair of DT880s as well.

^
So you're gonna revise your review of them then???
bigsmile_face.gif

For $30 with a pair of free deltas is a damn sweet deal. Also your IEMs that you are using with this lil' amp needs to be half decent cuz pairing average amp with average pair of iem is gonna sound underwhelming. Same goes for your DAP sources. But THANKS GOD decent sounding gears like the Clip+ exists and that the VSonic gr07 BE which can be had pretty cheap these days sounds good with this amp.

I still very much stand my ground that this lil' AP001 impressed me more than the FiiO E17 on sonics alone. Damn was the amp section of the E17 underwhelming and meh in terms of transparency, soundstaging, 3Dness and micro details. My Audinst MX1 beats the crap outta it. haha

Nov 10, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #234 of 308
I am done with my review , its up !!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-ap001-portable-headphone-amplifier/reviews/11909 .

Nov 10, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #235 of 308

^
So you're gonna revise your review of them then???
bigsmile_face.gif

For $30 with a pair of free deltas is a damn sweet deal. Also your IEMs that you are using with this lil' amp needs to be half decent cuz pairing average amp with average pair of iem is gonna sound underwhelming. Same goes for your DAP sources. But THANKS GOD decent sounding gears like the Clip+ exists and that the VSonic gr07 BE which can be had pretty cheap these days sounds good with this amp.

I still very much stand my ground that this lil' AP001 impressed me more than the FiiO E17 on sonics alone. Damn was the amp section of the E17 underwhelming and meh in terms of transparency, soundstaging, 3Dness and micro details. My Audinst MX1 beats the crap outta it. haha

Nope.  It's my honest opinion, and it still stands.  I'm sure Audrey and Brainwavz would rather know what I really think anyway.  I don't want to become one of "those reviewers" who give a 4+ star for every bit of gear they get, regardless of the performance.  The whole reason I do the reviews is for the fun of writing them.  I purchase the gear I intend to use personally anyway (or at least offer to anyway - some manufacturers won't let you).  And I always offer to return gear at my cost if the manufacturer would prefer that.

Again - let's have a look at where it's weak.
  1. Can't pair it with some sources, especially if listening to very sensitive IEMs
  2. Prone to EMI
  3. Quite bassy - so limited to headphones you can pair it with.
  4. AMP is comparatively weak

Compared to E6 at same price
  1. No volume control
  2. No EQ control
  3. Weaker amp than the E6

Personally I'd spend an extra $30 and grab an E07K - but that's just me.

Where it is good:
  1. Low cost - for the budget conscious
  2. Small form factor
  3. Fun factor - if that's what you're looking for (especially suits brighter headphones)
  4. Dual headphone out

Bit for me it's not a 4+ star offering.  Fix some of it's "issues" and the ratings would jump 
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #236 of 308

Nope.  It's my honest opinion, and it still stands.  I'm sure Audrey and Brainwavz would rather know what I really think anyway.  I don't want to become one of "those reviewers" who give a 4+ star for every bit of gear they get, regardless of the performance.  The whole reason I do the reviews is for the fun of writing them.  I purchase the gear I intend to use personally anyway (or at least offer to anyway - some manufacturers won't let you).  And I always offer to return gear at my cost if the manufacturer would prefer that.

Again - let's have a look at where it's weak.
  1. Can't pair it with some sources, especially if listening to very sensitive IEMs
  2. Prone to EMI
  3. Quite bassy - so limited to headphones you can pair it with.
  4. AMP is comparatively weak

Compared to E6 at same price
  1. No volume control
  2. No EQ control
  3. Weaker amp than the E6

Personally I'd spend an extra $30 and grab an E07K - but that's just me.

Where it is good:
  1. Low cost - for the budget conscious
  2. Small form factor
  3. Fun factor - if that's what you're looking for (especially suits brighter headphones)
  4. Dual headphone out

Bit for me it's not a 4+ star offering.  Fix some of it's "issues" and the ratings would jump 
wink.gif

Sadly, I don't really get any of the issues you guys have been getting, like the volume cut-off thing. Sure, I did get a loud pop in my IEMs during the first week, but so far, I haven't been getting it. The EMI issue is something to worry about, though -- but as I use an iPod, I don't get the problem as often (it does happen when my phone is nearby, though).

Nov 10, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #237 of 308
That's OK though - people will have different personal preferences (which is good
smile.gif
) - I'm just giving a rating based on mine, which I spell out very clearly at the beginning of every review I write.

It's a matter of perspective as well though.  You'll probably note that I was inclined to be over enthusiastic with some of my early review attempts - mainly because I had very limited experience with a lot of gear.  As my experience has grown, it becomes easier to compare, and I'd like to think I've become more objective - both in the way I review, and the methods I now use.  I've actually gone back over some of my older reviews, and changed the ratings as I began to discover flaws in some of my earlier methodology.

Nov 10, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #238 of 308
  That's OK though - people will have different personal preferences (which is good
smile.gif
) - I'm just giving a rating based on mine, which I spell out very clearly at the beginning of every review I write.

It's a matter of perspective as well though.  You'll probably note that I was inclined to be over enthusiastic with some of my early review attempts - mainly because I had very limited experience with a lot of gear.  As my experience has grown, it becomes easier to compare, and I'd like to think I've become more objective - both in the way I review, and the methods I now use.  I've actually gone back over some of my older reviews, and changed the ratings as I began to discover flaws in some of my earlier methodology.

True. I've seen many of your older reviews, and I just keep getting blown away. I perfectly respect your rating (which to some end lines up with mine).
beerchug.gif

Nov 10, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #239 of 308
Yep - and it doesn't take anything away from other people's opinions.  A lot of people will love the AP001. There are some earphones I'd love to try it with - but most of my hybrids are simply too bassy, or too sensitive.  It'd probably pair really well with something like a Grado though, and it does (IMO) with the Beyers.

I hope Brainwavz give it to their engineers, and say to them - "OK, now improve it and let's make one of our own".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back