Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #391 of 1,955
The P7's work great with my two Android devices, a Note Pro tablet and Note3 phone. My primary device is the Note3 and it connects instantly as soon as the P7's are switched on.
If I pause music on the Note3 then press the power button on the P7's I can then connect the Note Pro by selecting the P7's in the Note Pro BT settings.
Then I can play music from the Note Pro or from the Note3 by just pressing pause on one device and play on the other. Playback shifts instantly from one device to the other, no more pairing or BT selection needed, just pause on one, play on the other...

Nov 26, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #392 of 1,955
Thinking about replacing my P7s with these but somehow that scares me a bit. I liek them so much right now and dont want to ruin it with unnecessary problems. But the convenience.. Ahh.. 

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #393 of 1,955
  Thinking about replacing my P7s with these but somehow that scares me a bit. I liek them so much right now and dont want to ruin it with unnecessary problems. But the convenience.. Ahh.. 

The convenience is game changing, plus the wireless does sound better, that is almost a universal consensus. I had about an hour with them today as I had to go out by bus for a time today and damn was it a great listen. It is the layering and separation combined with a chewy texture. It is a very well done signature, not reference, but most definitely really engaging. Accuracy be damned sometimes, these just sound good.

Nov 26, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #396 of 1,955
LONG LONG time since posting on this forum (even though a member since 2003!) however this is the one thread I have been following for the past few weeks and it has led me to pull the trigger and yesterday take possession of a pair of these wonderful headphones.  Below is some feedback with the hope that it might help others - and take what I say with a grain of salt.

I lost my faithful Etymotic ER4's after ten years of stellar service and have been thinking of replacing them several times during the course of the past year.  I purchased the "new and improved" Ety back in September and was happy with them however they went back for one reason.  I have been using wireless Beats 2 ear buds to work out in and after living with wireless for the past several years it is now IMPOSSIBLE to go back to wired headphone.

I started out my new journey with a demo of the Bose QC35's.  Not bad and somewhat engaging however they created an extremely uncomfortable ear pressure - which is not uncommon as I have read about others experiencing the same.

Back to this forum and I stumbled upon the thread of the newest Sony 1000x wireless headphones.  If one were to read this thread they would think these were the greatest thing in noise cancelling headphones since sliced toast.  Down to the local BestBuy and somehow, by a miracle, they had them on demo.  The QC35's were also there - and the Bose allow you to pair your phone and use your own music for demo.  For some strange reason this is not the case with the Sony's.  I was limited to a preset selection of tunes with no idea of their provenance or resolution.  I would hope, for Sony's own self interest, that they providing MP3's at 320 (hell I would have used FLAC if I were trying to sell my product via demo) so I am going to assume that is what they were.  And the result - I have no understanding what so ever with the excitement over these Sony's.  They sounded nothing special to me - and quite honestly I found the Bose to be more engaging.  Quite a disappointment.

A quick grab of a sales associate and I found myself being brought over to the Magnolia department where I was greeted by a demonstration rack with several headphones.  Amongst these were the B&W P5 and P7 - however only the wired versions.  One top of that the demo rack was not working properly at all with all sorts of static and interference and crosstalk between each of the headphones (a miracle that Best Buy is still hanging on).  With that said I put the P7's on my head knowing full well that there was all sort of "garbage" flowing through the system.  With that said, even through all of the muck and interference, I could tell immediately that these were in a completely different league compared to the Bose and Sony's.

This was all I needed and armed with that, and this thread, I ordered a pair from Amazon which arrived yesterday.  One word comes out of my mouth - AMAZING.  These are simply in a different league when compared to the Sony and Bose alternatives.  I plan on using these primarily for airline travel and I refer back to the excellent postings in this thread by GrussGott as what he wrote was truly instrumental in helping me make my decision.  As he so eloquently stated I would rather rely on the physical isolation provided by the plush leather ear pads and have the involvement and musicality of these cans help me tune out the airline engine drone rather than counting on the electronic acoustic processing of Noise Cancellation which in the process SEVERELY compromises the sound of the MUSIC.

The B&W cans are a thing of beauty in both their design, construction and use of high quality materials (well with the exception of the plastic switches).  The house sound is spot on and they are truly musical and engaging.  My main systems are Naim and Linn so I am used to engaging toe tapping PRAT.  These headphones have that in spades and I am sure that this will help me forget about whatever engine drone is in the airline cabin.  The bass could be dialed back a bit imho although I am sure it was done taking into concern the wants of the marketplace.  I also agree with other posters as I found the volume on my iPhone 7 needs to be set rather low as these cans can get loud.

All in all I am EXTREMELY happy with this purchase.

Hope this helps others considering a purchase, excuse me for the length of the post, and I hope it is not another umpteen years before I visit this forum again.

PS - looking at my older posts - is the famous LaRocca headphone amp still around????  Boy now I am dating myself!!

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #397 of 1,955
@glevethan, the dead lurker has arisen! Wow, it is great to see such an old account come alive again. I often see old posts and wonder what happened to the members so it is simply awesome to see you come back online here, and yes the P7 is pretty darn impressive. Glad this thread drew you back in.

Nov 26, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #398 of 1,955
Sonic Defender

Thanks!
This is still the place to be for finding out about anything and everything!!!

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #400 of 1,955
Hello everyone!

I am considering non-anc wireless headphones and pretty much narrowed my choice between B&O H7 and P7 Wireless. I listened H7, played with iPhone app and really liked it.
Haven't listened P7 wireless, but reading every post in this thread, i'm convinced that these are magnificent. But how much better?

And I realised, there is not a comparison review between them. I think it should be because these two seems to be top of their category. 

Im curious about their sound quality and characteristics, and given their bulk and weight difference plus differences on music controls make one or the other is more easy to carry around neck etc. (accidental touches on H7 makes me think about it)  

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #401 of 1,955
  Hello everyone!

I am considering non-anc wireless headphones and pretty much narrowed my choice between B&O H7 and P7 Wireless. I listened H7, played with iPhone app and really liked it.
Haven't listened P7 wireless, but reading every post in this thread, i'm convinced that these are magnificent. But how much better?

And I realised, there is not a comparison review between them. I think it should be because these two seems to be top of their category. 

Im curious about their sound quality and characteristics, and given their bulk and weight difference plus differences on music controls make one or the other is more easy to carry around neck etc. (accidental touches on H7 makes me think about it)  

I owned and reviewed the H7 here, sadly I can't do a comparison review as I sold my H7. I loved the H7, but the only factors I would say give it an advantage are slight comfort advantage and a bigger plus is the removable battery, but that is a longer-ownership consideration so if you like to change gear frequently it may not matter to you. Otherwise I think sound wise the P7 would win across the board at everything. Now again, that is subjective of course, both have a mid bass emphasis, the P7 more so, but I also think the P7 has tighter bass. One big factor is the exceptional layering and spatial imaging of the P7. It never fails to surprise me how well it layers and separates things. That is why I think despite elevated bass the P7 pulls it off so well, the other frequencies can come through well due to the exceptional layering ability. I also needed more power as the H7 just wasn't loud enough for my needs, I had it on full all of the time and it was usually just a little too quiet.

Nov 28, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #402 of 1,955
The P7 wireless includes support for the AAC codec which makes it a good choice (or the only choice?) for iOS devices (read iPhone). I use Tidal to store offline content on my iPhone and I believe they use ALAC for storing lossless.

I assume then that B&W also support ALAC in addition to AAC? They must as my offline Tidal content plays fine - or perhaps it is being converted to AAC (which I doubt)?

Or does AAC support automatically imply that ALAC lossless is also supported?

Nov 28, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #403 of 1,955
Just returned the MDR 1000x. Seriousy considering the B&W P7. Few questions. 
If the battery runs out, can you still use it wired and is the quality degraded in any way? On the Sony, sound quality wired goes down without power.
Also, does it have Bluetooth gestures - like for changing volume/tracks?

Thanks in advance

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #404 of 1,955
Just returned the MDR 1000x. Seriousy considering the B&W P7. Few questions. 
If the battery runs out, can you still use it wired and is the quality degraded in any way? On the Sony, sound quality wired goes down without power.
Also, does it have Bluetooth gestures - like for changing volume/tracks?

Thanks in advance

Hi there, the headphone socket disables the electronics in the p7 as far as I can tell, so no power is needed for this.

The quality wired scales upward, with a good quality source plugged in.

No gestures, just a slide power switch, with an extra push button built into the slide, and volume up down, and pause button, 2 quick clicks of the pause, will jump to the next track.

Nov 28, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #405 of 1,955
No gestures, just a slide power switch, with an extra push button built into the slide, and volume up down, and pause button, 2 quick clicks of the pause, will jump to the next track.

For me, the controls seem to work with no troubles.  Was going to add that 3 quick clicks will bring you back.  One nice added touch (I thought so at least)..was that when you pause and resume...the music will do a quick FADE out and FADE back.  Nice little design touch.  I haven't used the P7 wired ( and probably won't as that is not my intention for them).

Bern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back