Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #376 of 1,955
  ​I think the 'baseline' for 'right' in a mobile headphone is one which can sound good with multiple genre's where you can switch genres without being 'offended' by the sound coming out of the headphones.

Multiple genres - House, Deep House, Progressive House, Techno, Minimal Techno, Breakbeat, Drum n Bass.
Yup, all these genres sound 'right' and none have 'offended' me with this headphone.

no one is making an issue of this glaring, fatal flaw of excessive warmth with the P7 wireless........... Whether users like it, is not the issue here...............At worst, reviewers are ignoring this issue and at best they are sidestepping it and that is wrong and a disservice to readers.

Well, maybe it's not 'fatal flaw' after all? I mean, I've been listening to it for ever a week now and I haven't died yet. Can't say the same for many 'neutral' headphones, which want to kill me by inducing a migraine or tinnitus with their tweeter-like presentation.

They mentioned it might be a tad too warm or bassy to some people, depending on their preference. That doesn't make it a 'fatal flaw'. It's just something they're saying might affect some people, but not them. There's nothing wrong with that. Is the review biased? Maybe. It's a British mag reviewing a British product. I could say the same for every Yank publication/blog reviewing the overpriced garbage Aawdeeez* currently makes.

I personally think a lot of neutral headphones are utterly insipid. Almost everything I've heard referenced as 'neutral' or 'natural' in the headphone arena has sounded absolutely ballsless in the bass department compared to my neutral (actually measured, not merely suggested) speaker rig.

*intentionally misspelled to annoy the fanboys.

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #377 of 1,955

​I havn't heard the P9 so I can't really comment but I was put off even 'buying to try' after hearing it had the same trait with it's bass reproduction as the P7 wireless.

The fact that B&W did this with the P9 bass without the 'need' to compete with traffic noise etc. leads me to think they have 'lost the plot' a bit with their headphones and they have gone somewhere where they shouldn't have. Why they felt the need to 'up the bass' from the original P7 is beyond me. I do disagree that 'excessive warmth' is a ''personal'' criteria especially when it impinges on the overall sound as much as the P7 wireless but like you I leave it at that.................................have a good evening!  

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #378 of 1,955

I got a response from Bowers and Wilkins about their battery.

Here's the response:

+++++++++++++

Thank you for your email regarding the Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless.

The P7 Wireless Headphones are designed to last 300 full charge cycles. If there was a problem with the battery within the 2-year warranty we could replace them for you!

Kind regards,

Joseph H.

I would be most interested in knowing if it was even possible to change the battery. I suspect it would be possible, but require some technical skill and basic service equipment.

Agree.  I'm sure someone will try replacing the battery manually, as time goes on and the right motivated person attempts this.

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #379 of 1,955
 ​I think the 'baseline' for 'right' in a mobile headphone is one which can sound good with multiple genre's where you can switch genres without being 'offended' by the sound coming out of the headphones.

Multiple genres - House, Deep House, Progressive House, Techno, Minimal Techno, Breakbeat, Drum n Bass.
Yup, all these genres sound 'right' and none have 'offended' me with this headphone.

no one is making an issue of this glaring, fatal flaw of excessive warmth with the P7 wireless........... Whether users like it, is not the issue here...............At worst, reviewers are ignoring this issue and at best they are sidestepping it and that is wrong and a disservice to readers.

Well, maybe it's not 'fatal flaw' after all? I mean, I've been listening to it for ever a week now and I haven't died yet. Can't say the same for many 'neutral' headphones, which want to kill me by inducing a migraine or tinnitus with their tweeter-like presentation.

They mentioned it might be a tad too warm or bassy to some people, depending on their preference. That doesn't make it a 'fatal flaw'. It's just something they're saying might affect some people, but not them. There's nothing wrong with that. Is the review biased? Maybe. It's a British mag reviewing a British product. I could say the same for every Yank publication/blog reviewing the overpriced garbage Aawdeeez* currently makes.

I personally think a lot of neutral headphones are utterly insipid. Almost everything I've heard referenced as 'neutral' or 'natural' in the headphone arena has sounded absolutely ballsless in the bass department compared to my neutral (actually measured, not merely suggested) speaker rig.

*intentionally misspelled to annoy the fanboys.

This whole debate simply comes down to the fact the certain people have a preference for different tonalities. And we must all respect that on this forum. And guess what? Different headphones have different tonalities. NO headphone is 'perfect'.
For example, when I first bought my T5P's, I was going to return them after a day. 'Bass-light' and 'peaky treble' spring to my mind about my first impressions. Guess what? I kept the bastards. And now I love 'em. They're neutral, and sometimes sound quite shrill depending on genre, but they're the closest thing I can get to HD800's on-the-move.
The P7W's are far from neutral. They have a certain tonality that sounds bloated and heavy compared to neutral cans like the T5P's. But give 'em time, and start listening to the music, rather than the 'sound' they make, and I dare you NOT to tap your feet to the beat. And that's all that matters in this game - they make MUSIC!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #380 of 1,955
This whole debate simply comes down to the fact the certain people have a preference for different tonalities. And we must all respect that on this forum. And guess what? Different headphones have different tonalities. NO headphone is 'perfect'.
For example, when I first bought my T5P's, I was going to return them after a day. 'Bass-light' and 'peaky treble' spring to my mind about my first impressions. Guess what? I kept the bastards. And now I love 'em. They're neutral, and sometimes sound quite shrill depending on genre, but they're the closest thing I can get to HD800's on-the-move.
The P7W's are far from neutral. They have a certain tonality that sounds bloated and heavy compared to neutral cans like the T5P's. But give 'em time, and start listening to the music, rather than the 'sound' they make, and I dare you NOT to tap your feet to the beat. And that's all that matters in this game - they make MUSIC!

​I firmly believe when you first put a pair of headphones on, that is how they sound..............if I don't like what I hear then, I send them back.......''keeping the bastards'' after hearing faults with them and not liking the sound  and then, after a while, liking them, is, in my opinion, just the brain normalising, fixing and accepting what you are hearing................'burn in' is such a scam and just a way to make people keep something they don't like after the brain 'magiclly' accepts what you are hearing after keeping them for a while.

I avoided the T5p because of reading numerous impressions that they were 'bass lite' but went for the AKT5p after they halved in price to £599 at Amazon via 'Home AV direct' and I find the bass 'perfect' for my ears with good impact and not overdone like the T5p 2nd gen which has too much for me and spoils the sound.......IMO the AKT5p is a much better headphone at that reduced price than the T5p 2nd gen.

I agree with you ''bloated and heavy'' is a fair description of the P7 wireless which is why I sent them back before my brain 'tricked' my ears.

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #381 of 1,955

​I firmly believe when you first put a pair of headphones on, that is how they sound..............if I don't like what I hear then, I send them back.......''keeping the bastards'' after hearing faults with them and not liking the sound  and then, after a while, liking them, is, in my opinion, just the brain normalising, fixing and accepting what you are hearing................'burn in' is such a scam and just a way to make people keep something they don't like after the brain 'magiclly' accepts what you are hearing after keeping them for a while.

I avoided the T5p because of reading numerous impressions that they were 'bass lite' but went for the AKT5p after they halved in price to £599 at Amazon via 'Home AV direct' and I find the bass 'perfect' for my ears with good impact and not overdone like the T5p 2nd gen which has too much for me and spoils the sound.......IMO the AKT5p is a much better headphone at that reduced price than the T5p 2nd gen.

I agree with you ''bloated and heavy'' is a fair description of the P7 wireless which is why I sent them back before my brain 'tricked' my ears.

Whilst I agree with you about 'burn in', I disagree with you about the brain 'normalising'. Sometimes first impressions don't apply, and I think you need a decent amount of time with new headphones to see if they suit you. I disagree that just a few minutes is enough to make a judgment. In most cases, it takes a while to see if they are for you.
And it's not about the initial sound' you hear from a set of headphones, it's about the 'music' they make.
And to go back to the OP, IMO these cans makes music. Obviously, you disagree. That's fine. But also understand that your opinion like mine is subjective, and not categorical.

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #382 of 1,955
The brain is indeed normalizing.
This happens not only with hearing, but taste as well.
If you use two table spoons of sugar with your coffee, and you really like it that way today, try to gradually drop sugar. You will find yourself drinking it with no sugar at all, and liking it (I did this).
Similar with salt.
Was it right before, or after? There is no "right", as your brain retunes itself in time, there is only "right at that time".

Hearing is very much similar. Just replace "sugar" or "salt" with "treble", or "bass".

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #383 of 1,955
The brain is indeed normalizing.
This happens not only with hearing, but taste as well.
If you use two table spoons of sugar with your coffee, and you really like it that way today, try to gradually drop sugar. You will find yourself drinking it with no sugar at all, and liking it (I did this).
Similar with salt.
Was it right before, or after? There is no "right", as your brain retunes itself in time, there is only "right at that time".

Hearing is very much similar. Just replace "sugar" or "salt" with "treble", or "bass".

Sorry, but codswallop IMO. But never mind my Northern expletives...
Where's your evidence for your supposition please?

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #384 of 1,955
Sorry, but codswallop IMO. But never mind my Northern expletives...
Where's your evidence for your supposition please?

As far as sugar and salt content being a trained taste, just Google yourself. There's quite a bit of documentation. You can even try yourself. Or ask a doctor/dietologist of your trust.

As far as sound, this forum is plenty of examples.
When people talks about noticeable changes when an electronic device has burned-in, when the physical/electronics properties of such device changed of one part per million during such time, a few things are plausible.
They lie. Possible a small subset do, but I doubt the majority does.
They actually can distinguish those part-per-million changes, and that such changes are dramatically affecting the sound. Hard, when there are quite a few scientific studies that proves that human hearing cannot possibly detect per-per-million differences.
They actually think that the sound changed, while what changed is their perception of it, due to the brain reshaping itself.

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #385 of 1,955
Whilst I agree with you about 'burn in', I disagree with you about the brain 'normalising'. Sometimes first impressions don't apply, and I think you need a decent amount of time with new headphones to see if they suit you. I disagree that just a few minutes is enough to make a judgment. In most cases, it takes a while to see if they are for you.
And it's not about the initial sound' you hear from a set of headphones, it's about the 'music' they make.
And to go back to the OP, IMO these cans makes music. Obviously, you disagree. That's fine. But also understand that your opinion like mine is subjective, and not categorical.

​I say, as you put it '' first impressions'' count because, I am more of a 'videophile' than an audiophile and am extremely sensitive to 'bad quality' pictures on TV's..........it took me ages to find a TV that I could 'live' with without finding it 'painful' to my eyes and unfortunately for my wallet it happened to be a very expensive one but I go to a friends house quite often and found her TV visually 'offensive' but after a while I didn't find it to be, so much....................That isn't to say the picture quality was better than I originally thought but rather it was my brain adapting to it and not 'seing' the obvious flaws I saw when first watching it.............that is why I am so 'fixed' in my opinion that flaws heard in headphones, on first listen, don't go away but become 'hidden' by our brain but I do accept we disagree on that and I accept the difference in the weight individual people place on technical flaws but since the prices of headphones are shockingly high, even mid-fi ones, I think we should hold the makers to account and 'force' them into making their cans technically good. After all, £320 for a headphone ( which is what the P7 wireless retails for) should mean audiophile quality, whether it is a 'neutral' one or a 'bassy' one...........................................have a good evening! 

Nov 24, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #386 of 1,955
I could not read the previous 26 pages, so excuse me if the below has been discussed before... I've had the P7 for 10 days now. A few questions:

1) It doesn't seem to recognize when I'm speaking with someone on Skype... it keeps disconnecting after a while. I believe it happens if I don't touch any command for a certain period of time... is this just the way it is?

2) Do I have to go to iPhone's (edit: using an iPhone 7 Plus, GSM version) bluetooth settings and click on "connect" every single time I want to start using the headphones? Why doesn't it recognize it automatically when I turn the headphones on? Quite annoying... It seems I have to do it after a certain period of inactivity even if I don't turn the headphone off...

3) I've tried to use the wire mode just to check how it works and I believe the right side was significantly louder... anyone had this problem? It does not happen in wireless mode. Not sure if I am not attaching it as I should, I find the design for this attachment tricky and weird.

Any thoughts on the above? Thanks in advance!

Nov 24, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #387 of 1,955
I can only answer to #2.
With my iPhone 6, it connects immediately.
The P7 keeps a list of paired devices, and the top of the list (in a Last Recently Used fashion), is the one it tries to connect.
If you keep switching devices you pair with, then yes, "I think" you have to explicitly connect if the device you want to connect to, happen to be not in the top of the LRU list.

Nov 24, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #388 of 1,955

Thanks... good to know. I have only tried it with the iPhone 7 I switched to (from the 6)... I wonder if that might be the issue then.

I rarely been using it with my laptop, so I don't think switching is the issue here.

Nov 25, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #389 of 1,955
The P7 keeps a list of paired devices, and the top of the list (in a Last Recently Used fashion), is the one it tries to connect.

I'm pretty sure the device it automatically pairs with on power up is the very first device it ever paired with the first time you paired it. If you want to change that device, you need to clear its memory of paired devices and re-pair to the device you want to be primary.

Nov 25, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #390 of 1,955
I'm pretty sure the device it automatically pairs with on power up is the very first device it ever paired with the first time you paired it. If you want to change that device, you need to clear its memory of paired devices and re-pair to the device you want to be primary.

You are right. I might have recollected some other HP behavior.
From the P7 manual:

P7 Wireless can remember up to eight paired Bluetooth devices. The first paired device is automatically designated as the “primary” device. Additional devices are designated as “secondary” devices. The primary device will automatically connect when P7 Wireless is powered on and within range. Secondary devices will not connect automatically when in range but must be connected using their Bluetooth settings menu. At any time, a press of the Bluetooth button will force P7 Wireless to connect to the primary device, if it is within range. It is possible for two devices to be connected to P7 Wireless simultaneously, however, audio will only be streamed from one device at any one time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back