Boston/N.E. Fall Meet Impressions
Nov 8, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #31 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
This might be getting a bit redundant, but here are my pics of the meet.

That funny.
eggosmile.gif
Keep the pics and the impressions coming folks. It looks you had a great meet, and I am sure your appetites are all whetted for the National [s/b International, no?] meet in NYC. See you there I hope.

Cheers, Volt

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #32 of 60
I didn't have time to mention it when I posted last night, but I want to thank Steve Rochlin with Enjoy The Music for coming. I've known Steve for quite a while now and I have to say it's no surprise he was the first serious press to show at a Head-Fi meet. Though I'm sure he'll take offense to the word serious, there's no doubt his effort to move the world of High-End Audio onto the internet has been nothin' but a serious he-man lift of on-line content creation. There isn't a guy in audio who's got nearly the sustained energy output of Steve, or the cahones to go out and get any story worth telling.

Thanks, Steve, for taking this hobby seriously enough to come out and play! It was great seeing you at a meet rather than some dumb-a** hotel hallway in Vegas. (Just a couple of months away...ugh.)

Nov 8, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #35 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
No, we never found them. Of all things to go missing, Radio Shack ear pads.

On a somewhat related note, did anyone find a power chord laying around? I finally unpacked my gear last night and I'm one Volex short. It just looks like a regular generic black PC but is 14AWG and pretty decent bang-for-your-buck. PM me if you have any details
smily_headphones1.gif
Nate

Nov 8, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #36 of 60
This was my first meet. I am a Head-Fi noob, having just bought a pair of 580's a couple of months ago. I have a Headsave Go-vibe ordered and in transit. Sorry about not having it available for the meet(as I said I would), I fully expected it to be delivered in time. I went to the meet anxious to hear the Hornet and came away very impressed with the SR-71. I figured that the signature sound or "house sound" of the SR-71 would be present in the Hornet, just in a smaller package, but to my ears they sound very different from each other. Not that I would say one is better than the other, just different. Interesting. I was also very impressed with the Headroom offerings, and for the money the Micro was an real eye opener. Good stuff, I just wish I had the time to listen to everything there. Thanks to Ray and Tyll for making the trip, and of course to all those who had a hand in organizing. Thanks also to Steve Rochlin who let met log some time with his SR-71. It's not easy for some to buy based purely on faith, it's always more relaxing to try before you buy.

See you at the next meet. Mike.

Nov 8, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #38 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icy006
Tyll's recabled HD201. This is like putting a stage 3 turbo on your big wheel. But, what a big wheel! All we need now is an airhead amp with an ALPS brass pot attached, running off this.

Tyll had a recabled HD201? With Cardas cables? How was that?!

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #39 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Tyll had a recabled HD201? With Cardas cables? How was that?!

Heh, I feel a little silly quantifying the slight improvement a recable made to a set of cans costing an order of magnitude less than said cable.

I love the HD201, they're my main work headphones. I have two main problems, though: 1) some stuff that comes out of 'em, especially higher notes, are a bit rough around the edges, and 2) they're a little lacking in oomph at the low end.

To sum it up, the recable pretty much fixes the first problem.

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #40 of 60
Clearly you should have tried them on the Max to see if it fixes the 2nd problem. Tyll, can you try this and let us know? I'd hope the mods would let you slide on being promotional if it's good, because it's such a wacky idea.

Nov 9, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #42 of 60
whoa photobucket died on you! time to donate to head-fi and use their free photo hosting services like i do!

Nov 10, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #43 of 60
I am sorry that I did not post on time, the work is killing me, I have to go to more meets to get away from work.
I would like to thanks two incredible headfiers, Haj & Dave, for organizing such a great meet in a perfect location. I really enjoy the meets, I don't do too much of listening but mostly talking to friends I know & those whom I meet for the first time. The flight was delayed for 40 minutes due to GPA computer down, the Pilot voice was heard through out of the airplane that we are going to shot the two engines & all the computers then restart everything, at this moment we have been sitting in the plane right at take off runway. Well the computer cleared it self & we were on our way on Sunday morning heading toward Providence airport.
Meanwhile I have this wonderfull young man waiting to pick me up & take me to the meet. He has driven an hour to make it to the airport, now we have another hour heading toward the meet area. This wonderful person is "drp".
Dave was so kind to have a special room, prepaired by his lovely lady, to stay over night at their place after the meet. Also a great cake was prepaired by Allen for my bithday. Thanks to both of you for openning your house & heart for me, this won't be forgoten.
Thanks to Tyll, The Headroom MAN, for the gift of Micro Dac & the exchange of the Hornet for the Micro amp, I will put them into use.
I had the privillage of meeting the great man behind one of the greatest on line review web sites, " Enjoy The Music" I had many times the privillage of being on this site due to great reviewers like Wayne Donnely, Dick Olsher & the man himself, Steve Rochlin. It was indeed an honor to meet you my friend,
I hope you will take more time to come & spend it with us. I would like to thanks you & your site for nominating the Emmeline XR-10B phono stage for "The Best Of 2005 Blue Note Award" I am truely humbled.
The meet was great, I had a great time.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Nov 11, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #44 of 60
It was really nice to see you guys at the Boston meet this past Sunday. Met a few of you before, but for most, this was the first time. It's always nice to be able to put a face to a handle.

Thanks again to Dave and Haj for doing a great job pulling it together, keeping the interest up, and helping to make it a smooth afternoon. Everyone really seemed to have a good time. Dave's wife apparently has a great sense of humour, and isn't a'skeered to be visiting a roomful of headphone-infatuated nerds, carrying a cake, no less! Is this the first time she's seen how much gear you really have, Dave? I also took several pics, but they are pretty much all duplicated here already. Yet another shot of the Tyll's uber-suitcase, etc.

I'd also like to thank Mikhail, Ray, and of course our man Tyll for trudging out to yet another Head-Fi meet. Sure, it's an opportunity for potential customers to test your wares, but the personal contact is the real ticket, I believe. If you have an amp from one of these guys, you can say you have also shook their hand, chatted them up, and gotten a chance to see who they are. All nice, regular guys- it's such a good thing to experience. It was also a great opportunity to visit with Steve Rochlin. I think he had a pretty good time, and he sure brought an eclectic mix of gear himself. Very cool stuff.

We do have a great group of guys here, and meeting some of you surely confirms it. It's nice to be part of such a community. Thanks again, guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back