Boston/N.E. Fall Meet Impressions
Nov 7, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #17 of 60
Some impressions:
DT770 (stock and woodied) - They sound like two completely different cans. The stock version has too much bass (imo) and the mids are a bit recessed. The woodies tamed the bass without losing any detail, and the mids weren't as recessed. It also had more soundstage.

At one point, I went into Tyll's headphone play-bin.
DT231 - This was quite a pleasant surprise. Nice all-around can with balanced sound with good comfort to match. Despite its looks, I'd gladly take this over a HD497/SR60.

AKG271 - Reminded me a bit of a slightly less-refined HD580/600 with slightly less bass. Didn't listen to these for too long.

HD485 - Didn't listen to these for too long either, but I liked what I heard. Slightly bass heavy. I think these would make a good gaming /rap/hiphop/trance can.

I mainly stuck with my HD600s and DT531s this time around as I got to listen to most of the cans from last meet. I'll post some impressions of the amps later on.

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #18 of 60
Great meet, guys, and great pictures. Very thoughtful to have a cake for Ray.

As usual, any and all impressions appreciated. I have particular interest in the HeadRoom balanced amps (were both a balanced Home and Max there?).

Finally, as a kid who grew up in Buzzards Bay, let me join you in saying Go, Pats tonight.

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #19 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
As usual, any and all impressions appreciated. I have particular interest in the HeadRoom balanced amps (were both a balanced Home and Max there?).

Yes, both a balanced Home and Max were there (two Maxes, actually). One of the Maxes even had the Pot of All Pot in it (Alps 50K). I didn't get around to listening to them since I did far more talking than anything else and I also knew I'd see them again on Saturday at the NY meet. I did listen to a balanced Max at the last Boston meet in July, though, and it was lovely.
biggrin.gif
Let's just say if I ever win a lottery, a balanced Max would be one of the first things I'll buy.

Haj

Nov 8, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #20 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
Personally I'm waiting for impressions on the Singlepower stuff (PPX3 SLAM, MPX3, Supra X 2)

I got to spend some time with the Balanced Supra and HD650 combo.

I currently own an MPX3, that I love.
I have literally listened for hours with the MPX3/HD650 combo.

The MPX3 exhibits a bit of midrange bloom, though in a very pleasant way, compared to the Supra.

The balanced Supra takes the Senns to a significantly higher level, yielding more neutrality + low level detail.

I listened to the Supra both Single-ended and balanced.

The jump between the MPX3 and Supra is more significant than the difference between running the Supra in single-ended vs balanced modes, though I definitely preferred balanced.

I can't argue theory, but to my ears, there definitely is an advantage to running a (this) tube amp in balanced mode.

I felt a more focused and dynamic presentation.

There is definitely a Supra in my future.

Bob

Nov 8, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #22 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Which modules were in the Balanced Home? It's odd that it isn't on Tyll's equipment list for the NY meet. I have a vested interest in this particular amp, which should ship by this Wednesday!

I believe the Home module was in the balanced Home, since, if I'm not mistaken, he's brought the amp for it to be reviewed (thus in stock form).

Nov 8, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #23 of 60
I had a lot of fun at the meet. It was my first one, but will definitely not be my last. I'll know better next time though less talking more listening.
I could not stay away from DRP's modded i Pod Nano plugged into his Hornet. That sounded really nice. Ridiculous for it's size. I don't need a portable player/set-up, but this makes me think I do!
I really liked the sound of the the Grado Head-Fi 1 (HF-1) phones too. I liked the mini max cd player's headphone out too.

Nov 8, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #24 of 60
Bob,

What's the configuration on your MPX3?

Nov 8, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #26 of 60
I did a lot more talking at this meet than I did at the last one relative to listening. Part of that is that I'm getting to the point in the ladder that it's hard to evaluate things in meet conditions. I think the solution to this in the future might be to have a few mini meets for serious listening of a few things, in addition to the full blown meets. If anyone would ever like to listen to any of my relatively modest gear, feel free to send a PM.

Its always a pleasure to talk DIY with Nate and Ian. I did some listening to Ian's PPA and M3. This definitely reaffirmed my decision to build an M3 (I've got all the parts on hand, just gotta get my desk cleared off and get it started). What a wonderful amp. Rich warmth at the same time as excellent detail. I think I'll be happy with the M3 as my main SS amp for quite a while.

The PPA was excellent as well, but I couldn't live with one as my primary amp. It's one of the few amps that makes me really like my HD600. The problem is I find it way too bright with my HF-1. I'll probably end up building up a PPA eventually, but it's pretty far down the list. Based on a quick listen, the millet hybrid sounds pretty good with the prototype diamond buffers. I'll go back and give that a more extended listen once the M3 is done and I start looking for the next project.

I also picked up my pre-ordered Hornet from Ray. "What's a DIY guy doing buying a commercial amp?" you say. Well, I heard the prototype at the last meet and was amazed. Ray's put a ton of work into tweaking this design, and it shows. Also, I'm not nearly patient enough to do such wonderful casework on an amp so small. I think I'm done, portable amp wize. All the features you could want (gain switch and battery recharging are great) in such a tiny package with amazing sound. The more I listen to this thing, the more I like it. After I've had it a while, I'll post a more serious review. Maybe I'll find a negative by then
basshead.gif

The surprize star of the meet, at least for me was Dave's modded Ipod Nano paired with the hornet. The sound coming out of this little shirt pocket sized rig could put plenty of home rigs to shame. If I can break down and buy an apple product and swallow the ~$200 for the mod, I think I'll be set for years as far as portables go (minus cans). Good thing for my wallet I can't just audition someone's custom fit sensas or ue's.

I spent a little bit of time with Yikes' K501, enough to whet my appetite for a further audition. I'm planning to eventually own a can off the beaten grado/sennheiser path, and the 501 (and it's pending big brothers) has been added to the short list. Headroom's HD595 was interesting, but I don't think it's for me. I like it's more forward sound relative to the 580/600/650, but it still doesn't have the visceral emotive power of my grados. I really liked Haj's Zeta Flat pads on the HF-1. Once the rest of my rig has settled down, I'd love to do an extended comparison of Larry's different pad options.

I did some listening to the Maxxed Headroom Desktop. I liked it a good bit, but I don't think I'd ever buy one. I just find I don't care for headroom's amps. I find them to be the sennheiser of amps. I appreciate their technical merit and quality, but I just don't fall in love. (Except for the Max Balanced, which, ironically, I like best with Senns.) I do love their DACs though (I'll recommend my microDAC to anyone who'll listen) Tyll, you realize I'll keep bugging you to make a standalone max balanced DAC until you give in or retire, right?

Thanks to Dave, Haj, and anyone else who helped to put this together. Thanks to Ray, Tyll, and Mikhail for supporting this community and bringing gear for everyone to try. Thanks to everyone else for coming out and giving them a community to support. These meets are great fun. I can't wait for the next one.

Nov 8, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #27 of 60
What a great meet this was! Lots of stuff to listen to, lots of people to listen to, and just a lot of fun! I finally got a chance to listen to the PS-1s. Those headphones have some serious bass. Sometimes a little too much. AKG K1000s were nice through the modified MG Head OTL 32; I wish I got a chance to spend more time with them. I really enjoyed the MAD Ear+ HD with my HP-1s. That combo was simply amazing, and breathtaking. Listening to track 12 on Garbage's 1st album was Heaven. And even better with the flat pads. I spent a lot of time listening to that amp, and comparing the HP-1s, PS-1s, and RS-1s. I didn't get a chance to listen to listen to the PS-1s with the flats, but thought the RS-1s sounded much better with them.

I was excited to find out I was the first person ouside of Headroom to listen to the new Balanced Home. It had the Home DAC onboard, which I connected to the optical output of a Sony NS500 SACD player. This was a really nice amp. First, it is huge. Second, it sounded really good. It was hard to hear a lot of fine details on anything, because it was pretty loud with so many people talking, but it was easily better than my old Maxed Out Home, and more than twice the size. I believe today it's on its way to John Atkinson, if he doesn't have it already.

The Hornet was a whole lot smaller than I expected. The best way to describe it is a little brick of power, as I heard some one say. That's exactly what it is. Pehaps it's a little to small. I had a hard time telling it apart from the Skorpion, but I was unfamilliar with the music and the headphones (HD-600s). Both sounded really good. The skorpion was much prettier though.

I also got a chance to see Enjoythemusic's Ferrari 308. I think it had the 4 valve engine, but can't remember. I've always loved the 308; it's beautiful, and like a fine mechanical watch. Lots of parts moving together in a symphony of metal and oil. He really takes it to the track and doesn't let it sit and be a garage queen. Now, if he let me drive it...

I guess that's it for now. I took some pictures, and maybe I'll get them up tomorrow after I finish my homework.

Nov 8, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #28 of 60
Steve Rochlin - a head-fier!?!?!? And coverage for enjoythemusic!?!?!?

I am not worthy
smily_headphones1.gif
6moons is going to have to start representing at some of these meets thats for sure! Steve, your reviews have been some of my favorite reads and your right on with music, I appreciate your work and am a long time fan of yours, keep it up and I think its great you covered this meet.

Nov 8, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #29 of 60
What a great time. Dave, Haj, and all else who get this stuff going, you are collectively the man, thank you. It felt like a natural continuation of the last NE meet, what with the same location and so many of the same people there. It's not every day you come across a group of people who enthusiastically share their often shockingly-expensive material things with each other (whether it be Sennheisers or Ferraris).

I resolved before coming to listen to something that didn't come out of a Grado or Senn plant. Got to take a listen to Yikes' K501. Awesome. Sounds more toward the Senn camp than not but they got their own thing goin for 'em. They struck me as more permissive of pedestrian amps than my HD600, which seem to thumb their nose at anything costing less than 3 times as much as they did.

This time around, I spent more time yacking it up than listening to stuff. More time spent drooling over equipment than last time, though...

Some of my favorites.
Dave's iMod Nano with hornet combo. Man. Certainly it wasn't the best listening conditions, yadayada, but that aside this combo bested many a huge honkin' home setup I've heard. Crazy good. Is the full-size iPodMod as good?

The Ray/Tyll amp exchange. They swapped porta-amps, and what a guy Tyll is, he threw in a microDAC as a birthday present to his dear friend Ray! Aww.

Haj's HF-1/Zeta Flats C-Pads. I was floored on certain material with my alpha c-pads/hf-1, but on lots of stuff it's just too much of a good thing. The Zeta Flats nail this problem, and my wallet be damned, I must have a pair!

Nate/Ian's DIY stack-o-fun. These guys afforded me a last-minute listen as they were trying to sneak out the door (thought you could get away, did you?). My eyes were set on a PPA build before the meet, and a quick jolt of PPA'd Grado made me change my mind right quick. Yowza, that smarts. I'm warming up to the Senn thing, and the PPA makes those babies sing, but I'm still a Grado fanboy first and foremost.
The MMMMMMMMM (er, m3) - damn, that thing is something special. Even in the noisy conditions I heard new things eeked out of recordings I thought I knew. Now I know, M3 is a no-brainer.
Millett Hybrid. It didn't wow me but I know exactly why...I was using the wrong source material. I definitely got the impression that this thing will fill a gap that other DIY stuff I'm considering just can't. Yipes, I need to focus on one synergistic combo at a time.

Tyll's recabled HD201. This is like putting a stage 3 turbo on your big wheel. But, what a big wheel! All we need now is an airhead amp with an ALPS brass pot attached, running off this.

Nov 8, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #30 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icy006
The Ray/Tyll amp exchange. They swapped porta-amps, and what a guy Tyll is, he threw in a microDAC as a birthday present to his dear friend Ray! Aww.

The Micro DAC was the exchange item (DAC for the Hornet) and the Amp was the gift.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...&postcount=274

Users who are viewing this thread

Back