Boston/N.E. Fall Meet Impressions
Nov 7, 2005 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Salt Peanuts

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got back from the Boston Fall meet. I did far more talking and picture taking than actual listening, but I had a fantastic time.

I'll post some pics once I get them all on my computer and browse through them for good ones.

For now, I'm going to go listen to my new amp.
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
He's lucky. He got stung by a hornet at the meet.

Me too!

I traded Ray a Micro DAC for a Hornet. And then I threw in a Micro Amp Desktop for his birthday! Happy Birthday Ray. I'm looking forward to my trip home on the plane with my new little set-up.

Nov 7, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 60
I had a great time today, thanks to drp & Salt Peanuts for putting it together. The summer meet was great, and I think this one was even better.

Last time was all about the amps for me... Today was more about listening to some headphones I was itching to hear, though some quality time with my 650's and Tyll's Balanced Home amp was good stuff!

Some quick impressions:
  1. HD595 - I was suprised how much they sounded like my old HD535's. I could definitely hear the family sound, but the 595's are a big improvement... more well-rounded with far better bass response.
  2. DT880 - These just weren't for me... they have a pretty impressive high end which is both smooth and has good extension, but the mids seemed recessed and the bass, while detailed, lacked any impact at all.
  3. RS-1 - I really wanted to like these, but the highs just didn't do anything for me.
    frown.gif
    I don't think they were too bright for me considering I liked my 325i's, but there was a weird simblance problem with them, at least for me. The highs weren't exactly "spitty," but something wasn't right. And this was with balanced RS-1's w/ the Headroom Balanced Home and unbalanced with my M3 and Millett Hybrid, so I know it wasn't a faulty phone.
  4. RS-2 - Now this is what I expected from the RS-1. After a good 30-40 minutes of back-to-back with the HF-1 on my Millett & M3, I have to say these are great cans. They have increased detail in both bass and treble, with full, smooth mids. The highs allowed for amazing separation between instruments, and the bass was tight and controlled, with great extension, though it was a little light on impact. The HF-1's definitely did a good job holding their own, but the RS-2's were a step up in everything except bass impact.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing other people's impressions and seeing lots of pics! Thanks again everyone!

Nov 7, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 60
Had a great time talking to folks about all sorts of headphone related stuff. I learned at the last meet that listening in this sort of environment isn't the best thing so I sampled some things but didn't try to form any real opinions about anything. Thanks to the manufacturers for trudging all the way back out here so we could sample your gear and a mighty thanks to those who put forth the effort to orgainze another great meet.

Without further delay here are a few pics I took:

"The Exchange"
51884735.jpg

"The Box I Wanted To Take Home"
51884727.jpg

"DIY Gear"
51884726.jpg

"Headroom Home"
51884733.jpg

"SLAM PPX3"
51884738.jpg

"The Hall of Headphones"
51884741.jpg

"Ray's Birthday Cake"
51884742.jpg

As usual I thought I took more pictures than I did
confused.gif
- but there were lots of foks with cameras so I'm sure more (better pictures) will be coming.

Nate

Nov 7, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #9 of 60
More pics.

Dave's stuff.
IMG_0005.JPG

Dave's Nano/Hornet setup next to Grado pads.
IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

My stuff.
IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

HeadRoom Balanced Max
IMG_0061.JPG

Yikes' Exemplar Audio 3910 & Exemplar Audio OTL/32 - they sounded great during a brief listen. Definitely listening to it more at NYC.
IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

Voodoochile's rig - PPA, MAD Ear+ HD, and "Millet on Board"
IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

n_maher's gears - PPA2.0, M3, and Millet Hybrid
IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

Singlepower Maestro and MPX3
IMG_0009.JPG

Singlepower - balanced Supra, I think?
IMG_0014.JPG

RSA Stealth
IMG_0055.JPG

RSA Raptor
IMG_0136.JPG

enjoythemusic brought some neat stuff - D5, D25, D555, and Skopion amp
IMG_0093.JPG

I took more pics but they didn't come out all that well. Methinks it's time for me to get a new digital camera.

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #11 of 60
This might be getting a bit redundant, but here are my pics of the meet.

Tyll’s Box O Cans
Boxocans.jpg

More Headroom stuff
More_Headroom.jpg

And even more Headroom stuff
Headroom_Homes.jpg

Tyll’s big boys
Headroom_Model.jpg

MiniMax
MiniMax.jpg

Single Power Maestro
Maestro.jpg

Single Power MPX3
MPX3.jpg

Single Power PPX3 SLAM
PPX3_slam.jpg

Single Power an early Supra
Supra_early.jpg

Ray’s generosity knows bounds
Rays_Quarter.jpg

Ray’s Stealth
Stealth.jpg

Ray’s Raptor
RAPTOR.jpg

Ray A/Bing the Skorpian vs The Hornet
Ray_ABing.jpg

The Skorpian
Skorpian.jpg

My little corner of heaven.
Yikes_its_my_stuff.jpg

My amp in all its glory
Exemplar_OTL_32.jpg

Nov 7, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #14 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
how was the Skorpion?

Hope you don't mind me parachuting in on this question as i am the one who brought it to the meet. The unit did quite well actually, but in hindsight i should have brought the manual and meter to re-bias the unit. Seemed that PERHAPS Boston's lower voltage than that in my abode left it a little bright sounding and perhaps a dB of bass anemia. Still, it appeared to fair quite well to many who A/B'ed it including yours truly.

Alas, no one showed any love to my 1980's Sony bright yellow water resistant FM radio with matching yellow arm band...
blink.gif

Am glad the guys liked my crusty old Sony CD players and i APOLOGIZE to everyone here for the Sony D25 price increase due to my review. A few guys at the show kinda poked at me about it
frown.gif

It was great meeting everyone and my meet coverage is now online at http://www.EnjoyTheMusic.com . Thanks again and look forward to the next Boston event
cool.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #15 of 60
Personally I'm waiting for impressions on the Singlepower stuff (PPX3 SLAM, MPX3, Supra X 2)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back