Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Nov 26, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #2,536 of 4,487
Recable your 340, unless you are talking about driver damage.

Nov 27, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #2,537 of 4,487
My K340's bass is incredibly muddy and the mid range is very weak. Both drivers sound the same so maybe it is the cable.
I'm really impressed with what's being said about the T90, may give the a try after the holidays.

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #2,538 of 4,487
That sounds like you probably need a recable.

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #2,544 of 4,487
  I should've said that you'll probably need to switch amps. IIRC, you're rocking the BCL.

Many has says that the BCL is able to drive the LCD2 properly however, i am not too sure about it? I have connected my BCL to an external DAC. I have set my BCL on the lowest gain when powering my T90 headphone turning the volume knob at just 8'o clock, a liitle higher than the minimum volume.

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #2,545 of 4,487
  Many has says that the BCL is able to drive the LCD2 properly however, i am not too sure about it? I have connected my BCL to an external DAC. I have set my BCL on the lowest gain when powering my T90 headphone turning the volume knob at just 8'o clock, a liitle higher than the minimum volume.

That's fair enough. I spoke too strongly when I said "need". Planars benefit, I think, from higher input power at lower impedances. The preference seems to be for at least ≈1W of power at the headphone's impedance. That said, I think the E18 does a fine job with the LCD-2F. And as Gilly87 pointed out above, Mike Mercer loves the LCD-3 with the HRT microStreamer. I've ordered a microStreamer and a Gustard H10, both of which should be delivered today. I'll post some impressions after I get them.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #2,546 of 4,487
  Would anyone recommend me to upgrade my T90s to either a T1 or LCD2r2?

While the Audeze offerings are not quite to my taste (I did not spend much time listening to them though) the T1 is a nice step up from the T90, in my opinion offering smoother and more detailed treble and a more controlled bass. I'd give it a listen if possible... the question is always whether the difference is worth it to you: the T90 is a good step up from many headphones and while the T1 has a slightly different signature, the increase in quality is not that high once again -- diminishing returns etc.
Lehmann should have no problem driving it I guess, the T1 is rather efficient and trouble free.

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #2,547 of 4,487
I personally have both the T-90 and the Hifiman HE400. I changed the ear pads for the leather ear pads from my Denton D2000. I much prefer the HE400 over the T90 any day. Much more dynamic and the midst are much more accurate and natural. I do understand why people don't like the stock ear pads. They are not very good. I did remove the inner lining on mine which for me sounded much better. But be careful if you don't like the sound with the cloth removed you can't put it back. I just changed them out for my Denon ear pads which sound nice.

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #2,548 of 4,487

That's fair enough. I spoke too strongly when I said "need". Planars benefit, I think, from higher input power at lower impedances. The preference seems to be for at least ≈1W of power at the headphone's impedance. That said, I think the E18 does a fine job with the LCD-2F. And as Gilly87 pointed out above, Mike Mercer loves the LCD-3 with the HRT microStreamer. I've ordered a microStreamer and a Gustard H10, both of which should be delivered today. I'll post some impressions after I get them.

I discovered that current is the most important in an amplifier to drive your headphones. The watts of an amplifier is not everything, it is how much current that matters. Please correct me if I am wrong.
smile_phones.gif

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #2,550 of 4,487
Half way there. Current and voltage. Current for low ohm headphones and voltage for high ohm headphones.

Additionally, low-impedance headphones generally sound a little cleaner with higher voltage, higher impedance headphones "fill out" more, respond a bit better, and have better soundstaging with more current in my experience.  Might as well have both plenty of current and at least 30V (+/-15V) circuits, or in other words, basically a very good desktop amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back