Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Dec 10, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #2,551 of 4,487

Additionally, low-impedance headphones generally sound a little cleaner with higher voltage, higher impedance headphones "fill out" more, respond a bit better, and have better soundstaging with more current in my experience.  Might as well have both plenty of current and at least 30V (+/-15V) circuits, or in other words, basically a very good desktop amplifier.

I have spend a fortune on my Lehmann audio BCL and it sounds great however, everyone in headfi dislikes it saying that is overprice and whatsoever. So may I ask youif the Lehmann audio BCL a good desktop amplifier?

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #2,552 of 4,487
I personally have both the T-90 and the Hifiman HE400. I changed the ear pads for the leather ear pads from my Denton D2000. I much prefer the HE400 over the T90 any day. Much more dynamic and the midst are much more accurate and natural. I do understand why people don't like the stock ear pads. They are not very good. I did remove the inner lining on mine which for me sounded much better. But be careful if you don't like the sound with the cloth removed you can't put it back. I just changed them out for my Denon ear pads which sound nice.

Interesting. When I had the HE400, the mids did not sound natural to my ears with the stock earpads or the focus pads. It was one of the reasons (along with comfort) why I went to the HD600. 

Dec 10, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #2,553 of 4,487
I have yet to hear a Hifiman headphone that has what I feel to be realistic mids or treble, so I'm with you on this. HD600 is definitely more realistic IMO...but the T90 trounces 'em all :) I definitely prefer it to HE-500, which gets about the same street price as the T90 these days. Have't heard the HE560 or HE-6 yet, though.

Quote:

Interesting. When I had the HE400, the mids did not sound natural to my ears with the stock earpads or the focus pads. It was one of the reasons (along with comfort) why I went to the HD600. 

Dec 11, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #2,554 of 4,487
  I have spend a fortune on my Lehmann audio BCL and it sounds great however, everyone in headfi dislikes it saying that is overprice and whatsoever. So may I ask youif the Lehmann audio BCL a good desktop amplifier?

Lehmann amps are fine I'd say. Maybe not optimal for demanding planars, but a clean design and well executed as far as I can tell.

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #2,555 of 4,487
Hi everybody!
I'm about to get the Fostex HP V1 tube amp to go with my new T90's- (I think)
One thing is holding me back is that it's DACless...
My source is an iPod Classic 7gen 160gb, I've read the built in DAC in it is pretty good. Do I NEED to add a DAC to the mix? Any suggestions (aside from beat it, noob)?

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #2,556 of 4,487
Hi everybody!
I'm about to get the Fostex HP V1 tube amp to go with my new T90's- (I think)
One thing is holding me back is that it's DACless...
My source is an iPod Classic 7gen 160gb, I've read the built in DAC in it is pretty good. Do I NEED to add a DAC to the mix? Any suggestions (aside from beat it, noob)?

I think you'll be fine with the internal DAC for the time being, using a line out cable (30pin to 3,5mm) to the V1.

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #2,558 of 4,487
Sorry, I don't remember if I ever tried that combination (T90 + HP-P1)... I use the T90 mainly with one of my desktop amps as its open and too big for use on the go anyway, so I did not investigate combinations with my mobile amps. I tried it with the V1 though and liked the combination, the HP-V1 adds just a bit of warmth and makes it very enjoyable.

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #2,560 of 4,487
  Is Burson Soloist an amplifier overkill amplifier for the Beyerdynamic T90? Do anyone has any experience on this combo?

There's no way that it could be.  T90 would have to be low-end, which it is not at all.

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #2,561 of 4,487
Hi everyone,
I was just about to hit the buy button on the HiFiMan - He400i but at the last minute I saw these and like the look of them very much. However, I am just a little worried about the treble (I imagine you've heard this before). When paired with a fairly neutral amp (specifically the firestone fubar HD) is it overly strident or sibilant? I'm fine with a slightly boosted treble as long as it doesn't start to get fatiguing.
Also, if I do come to find that they're a little bright for my tastes, how well do they respond to EQ? I was thinking perhaps I could soften the treble just a touch.
Thanks in advance

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #2,562 of 4,487
  Hi everyone,
I was just about to hit the buy button on the HiFiMan - He400i but at the last minute I saw these and like the look of them very much. However, I am just a little worried about the treble (I imagine you've heard this before). When paired with a fairly neutral amp (specifically the firestone fubar HD) is it overly strident or sibilant? I'm fine with a slightly boosted treble as long as it doesn't start to get fatiguing.
Also, if I do come to find that they're a little bright for my tastes, how well do they respond to EQ? I was thinking perhaps I could soften the treble just a touch.
Thanks in advance

I found the T90 strident even with dark-sounding amplifiers. I haven't heard the HE-400i. But if you're in any way treble-sensitive, I advise against the T90. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #2,564 of 4,487
I don't have any experience with hi-end Sennheiser, which is unfortunate. I LOVE their Amperior and have been looking into getting a 650. I was originally interested in the 700 but the treble issue dissuaded me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back