Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Nov 10, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #2,507 of 4,487
So, i just ordered a pair of T 90's from a huge electronics shop here, opened unused (opened to showcase, full warranty etc)...for...
Get this
271 Euro = 338$ 
etysmile.gif

I feel like a thief 
tongue.gif

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #2,509 of 4,487
O_O

I paid more than that for used HD650s...lucky person.

Quote:
  So, i just ordered a pair of T 90's from a huge electronics shop here, opened unused (opened to showcase, full warranty etc)...for...
Get this
271 Euro = 338$ 
etysmile.gif

I feel like a thief 
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #2,510 of 4,487

Thank you!

Take this with a grain of salt because this is all from memory. The HD600 does vocals better than the T90 and the HE400. There is more body to the midrange than the other headphones. The mids are good on the T90 too. I'll put them slightly below the HD600. My biggest problem with the HE400 was mids and comfort. Mids were kind of recessed. For a lack of better term, the vocals sounded weird to me. As far as airiness, I don't remember too much about the HD600 or the HE400. The HE400 did seem to have a wider soundstage than the HD600. Can specify what you mean by instruments?

After owning the HD600, HE400, and the T90, I don't think you should even bother with the HE400. 

I felt the same way about HE400 when I tried it.  It also has too many strong resonances for an open-back.  Not even my closed-back dynamic headphones have such a problem with resonances as I heard in HE400.  Also, none of my solid-state amps could power it properly, only my Qinpu A3 integrated tube amp could.  It is a beast of a headphone, but the midrange is quite unnatural sounding, it gets timbre all wrong and metallic, and it has frequency peaks that make things even worse, then comparing it to the more believable-sounding midranges of HD650 and T90 makes it sound even worse still.  HE400 also sports a little bit of dynamic compression, which doesn't help it sound any more natural but does give a sense of enhanced clarity and control versus T90 and K701.

I wonder if t90 drivers are the same that t70 ?

Extremely likely.

Get this
271 Euro = 338$ 
etysmile.gif

I feel like a thief 
tongue.gif

Sweet deal!

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #2,511 of 4,487
Considering trying the T90.  Up to now everything I have auditioned as been on the warmer side, and the only HP I now own is the Soundmagic HP150, which I very much like.  It has what I consider quite strong bass, and has even turned me into a bit of a basshead.  That said, there are times the bass gets to be too much for me, and while I have no plans on getting rid of them, I would like to get an open set.  (I have listened to the HD600 and 650).

From everything I have read, the T90 is going to be brighter than anything else I have had.  It seems like this is what makes people either really like the T90, or dislike it.

I am wondering what it would be like having a dark/warm set, and also having a bright(er) set like the T90.  Would switching between pairs with a very noticeable difference in sound sig drive a person nuts?  Or does it just come down to what you happen to be in the mood for?

It doesn't help that currently their are no deals that I can find on the T90.  I have read that some have found them around $400 USD, but they are not near that price now, so trying them and re-selling may mean a significant loss.

Any opinions are appreciated!

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #2,512 of 4,487
You cannot miss it unless you cannot hear above 6kHz.  T90's treble range is almost 10dB above the midrange.
Refurbs/used can be had for ~$410, just be patient.

HD6x0 and T90 are semi-open, actually.  HD6x0 suffers from undampened resonances in the primary chamber, T90 doesn't get any audible resonances, so it sounds more open.

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #2,514 of 4,487
No, there is no cover up.  The treble/midrange transition has to be very steep for that (which it is not in T90), and I'm not sure what other factor(s) are required for cover up.  Insufficient air (and I mean physical air) is one possible factor, but I do not know for certain.

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #2,515 of 4,487
I fantasize about owning both the HD650 and T90. They are about as close to opposites as it gets, but I really enjoy both. The T90 is a notch higher in terms of technicality, although the HD650 does sound a bit better separated and deeper with really good amplification. The T90 wipes the floor with it in just about every other area, especially bass and treble, which both extend noticeably further than the HD650.

That said...the HD650 has a timeless sound that I feel like almost anyone could get hooked on. It's got one-note-ish bass, the soundstage isn't very wide, and it's pretty dark, but it has that certain "je ne se quois"...for lack of a better word, it sounds nostalgic, like you're hearing music the way you heard it for the first time. It's a truly beautiful headphone.

Quote:
  Considering trying the T90.  Up to now everything I have auditioned as been on the warmer side, and the only HP I now own is the Soundmagic HP150, which I very much like.  It has what I consider quite strong bass, and has even turned me into a bit of a basshead.  That said, there are times the bass gets to be too much for me, and while I have no plans on getting rid of them, I would like to get an open set.  (I have listened to the HD600 and 650).

From everything I have read, the T90 is going to be brighter than anything else I have had.  It seems like this is what makes people either really like the T90, or dislike it.

I am wondering what it would be like having a dark/warm set, and also having a bright(er) set like the T90.  Would switching between pairs with a very noticeable difference in sound sig drive a person nuts?  Or does it just come down to what you happen to be in the mood for?

It doesn't help that currently their are no deals that I can find on the T90.  I have read that some have found them around $400 USD, but they are not near that price now, so trying them and re-selling may mean a significant loss.

Any opinions are appreciated!

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #2,517 of 4,487
I fantasize about owning both the HD650 and T90. They are about as close to opposites as it gets, but I really enjoy both. The T90 is a notch higher in terms of technicality, although the HD650 does sound a bit better separated and deeper with really good amplification. The T90 wipes the floor with it in just about every other area, especially bass and treble, which both extend noticeably further than the HD650.

That said...the HD650 has a timeless sound that I feel like almost anyone could get hooked on. It's got one-note-ish bass, the soundstage isn't very wide, and it's pretty dark, but it has that certain "je ne se quois"...for lack of a better word, it sounds nostalgic, like you're hearing music the way you heard it for the first time. It's a truly beautiful headphone.

You mean to say 650 is "euphonic".  That's what it is all about.

Nov 14, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #2,520 of 4,487
I suppose that's the word for it.

All I know is that, the first time I heard the HD650 with a strong source (HRT Music Streamer HD) and a solid amp (Asgard), all I could think was "This is how it's supposed to sound."

If I could switch back and forth with the 650 and T90, I would never need other headphones. I'm pretty sure I can live with just the T90, but the 650 is just so damn...romantic. 

Unfortunately I've heard enough other high-end stuff that I really can't ignore their shortcomings in the upper registers but for so long; if I had heard the HD650 before hearing Beyers and Grados and AKGs, I could have easily lived with them indefinitely.

Quote:

You mean to say 650 is "euphonic".  That's what it is all about.

It's just two different ways of listening to music. I think both are better headphones, from an enjoyability standpoint, than the bass-light HD800s and old-school Stax and AKG stuff, and, if I'm honest, I prefer them both to the Audeze and Hifiman headphones I've heard, too, neither of which really impress me; sure the Audezes have bottomless bass, and are the closest headphones to sounding like speakers, but you need to spend thousands on source components to make them sound right, and compared to either the 650 or T90, they're just boring-sounding to me. All of the hifiman products I've heard just sound plain wrong, even with high-grade source components, crazy tube amps, etc; I'll take the T90 or HD650 over an HE-5 any day.

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe it's just me, but all of the planar-magnetic phones I've heard have a slightly veiled sound accompanied by an awkward peak somewhere in the upper mids/lower treble that just sounds wrong to my ears.

I might just need to get a pair of 650s to hear the night and day difference you speak of. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back