beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Dec 11, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #1,621 of 1,963
True, I heard one guy from England recalled t5p with Stefansart cable and he was very impressed it's sonic changes. His words, sound opened up, it got thick , huge bass, smooth mids...

He spends over 500$ buthe says it's totally worth it, he didn't like t5p with original stock cable,and was skeptical about headphone... But was recommended t5p for studio monitoring with stefansart cables. He is happy with results :)

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #1,622 of 1,963
Even if I were to believe that such a radical change were possible by swapping cables I would not understand how one spends ~50% of the price of the headphone on cables. That budget would certainly make it possible to buy a headphone that fits my preferences right from the start.

I can understand that the T5p does not fit everybody. But it won't change its very nature by swapping cables. Damping etc -- maybe. But well... a whole industry lives on those believes.

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #1,623 of 1,963
Even if I were to believe that such a radical change were possible by swapping cables I would not understand how one spends ~50% of the price of the headphone on cables. That budget would certainly make it possible to buy a headphone that fits my preferences right from the start.

I can understand that the T5p does not fit everybody. But it won't change its very nature by swapping cables. Damping etc -- maybe. But well... a whole industry lives on those believes.

What you say is logical.
I never heard headphones with high end cables, and never compared recabled headphones to a stock cable...
I have monitor audio rx 6 speakers, with hegel dac and amp.
I had simple cables to start with from audioquest, sound was fine..

I had opportunity to take home chord signature speakers cable for audition.
And my speakers didn't change its character, it exploded with tight full bodied sound that wasn't screaming or booming at me with air waves any longer. It was filed with detail, voices become so realistic filed with emotions. I could actualy hear singers emotions in words. I was very surprised a cable could bring such improvement, was same character of monitor audio rx6 but brought to a whole new level...

I didn't buy those cables because price was too high at the moment, but I know know what a high end cable can do...
Guys at hifi local store, told me it's over kill to get such cables with my speakers, usualy you invest in a speaker, and get cables for 1/3 price of your whole system.. I thought it was wise, so I bought chord odyssey speaker cables, they sound good, not as doll and boomy as my previous cables, but it's no where near a true high end cable I had on demo once...

As for headphones, if money not a problem I can't see why not to try it out and see for yourself..

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #1,624 of 1,963

I have had experience in different cables in my high end setup also as you said plakat and have changed all since.
Only yesterday I changed the cables on my Pioneer SE-L40 to Quadstar (Switzerland) wires, balanced, and it made a huge difference (the thick curtain is gone). They sound very open now with very pleasant bass and treble I haven´t heard before. Did the same to the portas before, same. Seems as different cables do transfer signals differently.

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #1,625 of 1,963

Bummer.  I want to go even cheaper and start doing it myself.  I have a soldering iron, but I`m just damned lazy.  Yesterday I sold my HD800 cable, and so need a new one, and I think this is a good chance for me to finally learn to cable myself.  That Oyaide cable shop I was in a couple of days ago even has a bin of HD800 connectors, and every other kind of connector, wire, etc.  

I like aftermarket cables, but really, the prices of some of them are just insane. . . .  

Dopaminer, it is easy to solder yourself. Gotham.ch is a cable company in Switzerland, they sell excellent quad cables for headphones by the meter: GAC-4/1 mini  #10901m per Meter CHF 1.80 (US$ 1.40). Techflex.org sells all shrink ware and flex hoses for your cable.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #1,626 of 1,963
True, I heard one guy from England recalled t5p with Stefansart cable and he was very impressed it's sonic changes. His words, sound opened up, it got thick , huge bass, smooth mids...

He spends over 500$ buthe says it's totally worth it, he didn't like t5p with original stock cable,and was skeptical about headphone... But was recommended t5p for studio monitoring with stefansart cables. He is happy with results :)
Totally agreed. I got a cable from stefan AudioArt for my T5p and it sounds amazing. Soundstage is incredible plus the bass is excellent

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #1,627 of 1,963
Been there, done that... all my believes melted down with a DBX. Long ago. So no more cash for something I don't see as a realistic improvement (if at all, and even then its far from cost-effective).

Only reason I'm considering recabling my T5p is that the standard cord is too short for desktop use.

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #1,628 of 1,963
As I said above if one cables for functionality, not faith, there is little chance of disappointment.  

But faith can be fun.  

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #1,629 of 1,963
It's simple, you audition a product first for a week or two. If you don't hear an improvement in sound, you leave the product back to the store. No need puting faith and money in it. You pay only after you get what you want.

I never buy any of audio gear without taking it home for a demo, usualy 2 weeks. I listen to different types of music, but only to the tracks I know well. It takes time to know if you want the product or not.

If local dealer doesn't give product for demo, i don't bother with 15-30 minutes auditions at the store...

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #1,635 of 1,963
It looks liked these are HD 800 connectors like mine! I really like the fit. I assume it's from the balanced drive bs just cable quality, but I was surprised by the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back