Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
Jul 14, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #16 of 97
OK then, DT 770 Pros it is! But... i won't be too overwhelmed by the bass that i'll miss out on the mids, and wish i went for the A700s or something, will i? Eh, i hope not! Thank you for all of your help guys; although, i do have one more question.

With the new sound card i'm getting (the Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional), it doesn't allow me to connect the front audio ports on my case to it. This means i'll either have to connect my headphones directly to my sound card, which involves inplugging my speakers from the back of my case every time, or i could just plug them into the control module for my 5.1 speaker setup. I'd prefer to do the former, since i don't want to lose any quality by passing them through my cheap speaker thing. However, i don't know if the cable will be long enough to reach to the back of my case. Can anyone confirm how long the cable is? If it isn't very long, i might have to buy the more expensive Fatal1ty Platinum Champion card, which has the front i/o panel.

Thanks again.

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #17 of 97
the cable is very long

Jul 14, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #18 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the cable is very long

It really needs to be at least 3m; would you say it is?

Also, the cable is straight on the 80 ohm version, right?

Jul 14, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #19 of 97
Hello,
I have a pair of dt770 80 ohm beyers and i am a gamer. I do like these cans for gaming. i would say these cans are VERY FUN! The explosions will make you go out of your mind they sound amazing! I mean it !! I play competitive fps games with mine while they are good sometmes the explosions dont let me hear footsteps which annoys me but i always could turn the bass down i suppose
smily_headphones1.gif

they are extremely comfortable and very fun. I am using a pc setup with x-fi extreme music and logitech z5500 speakers and my headphones are unamped. I do believe and am almost certain these would be way better with an amp. I used to use sehnn hd280 pro before these for gaming and still have them i always use my beyers they are clearly better for me. The sehnns are good to for entry level cans and at 99 pricepoint in fact my whole ut2k4 clan has them. The sound from these cans is clear,good bass, but the treble sounds recessed to me thats why i recommend an amp it should help but can say for sure since i dont have one but i find myself maxxing the volume to get closer to the sound.I have 3 people that keep talking to me while im posting this so sorry im all over the place in this post no organization of thoughts.

Jul 14, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #21 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by nburge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,
I have a pair of dt770 80 ohm beyers and i am a gamer. I do like these cans for gaming. i would say these cans are VERY FUN! The explosions will make you go out of your mind they sound amazing! I mean it !! I play competitive fps games with mine while they are good sometmes the explosions dont let me hear footsteps which annoys me but i always could turn the bass down i suppose
smily_headphones1.gif

they are extremely comfortable and very fun. I am using a pc setup with x-fi extreme music and logitech z5500 speakers and my headphones are unamped. I do believe and am almost certain these would be way better with an amp. I used to use sehnn hd280 pro before these for gaming and still have them i always use my beyers they are clearly better for me. The sehnns are good to for entry level cans and at 99 pricepoint in fact my whole ut2k4 clan has them. The sound from these cans is clear,good bass, but the treble sounds recessed to me thats why i recommend an amp it should help but can say for sure since i dont have one but i find myself maxxing the volume to get closer to the sound.I have 3 people that keep talking to me while im posting this so sorry im all over the place in this post no organization of thoughts.

Thank you for your input. Sometime down the line i might get an amplifier, but i have no idea what sort of one to get. How long is the cable on yours, and is it straight or coiled?

Jul 14, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #22 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't think it's 3m...maybe 1.5-2 the most...you'll probably have to extend it then if you need it that long. and yes the cable is straight for the 80 ohm version

Hmm, are you sure? On Beyerdynamic's website, or somewhere i read it, it says it was 3 meters. Can anyone else, who has the headphones, confirm how long the cable is please?

Jul 14, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #23 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansize_tissue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On Beyerdynamic's website, or somewhere i read it, it says it was 3 meters.

When beyerdynamic claims the DT 770 PRO 80 has a 3 m straight cable, then it is 3 m. The 250 ohms version has a coiled cable which is 1.5 m unstretched.

Jul 14, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #24 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tantra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When beyerdynamic claims the DT 770 PRO 80 has a 3 m straight cable, then it is 3 m.

That's what i thought, but driftingbunnies' comment has made me wary.

Jul 14, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #25 of 97
I owned the DT770/80 Pros and the AD700s at the same time for a period

I also used to game competitively and hence sound was crucial for my performance

Personally the AD700s were my weapon of choice because they were open, meaning that playing at LAN competitions, I could hear team mates when strats were being called, as in-game voice communication has a lag so it was real life yelling all the way

Also, the sound quality is far superior and far more balanced on the AD700s. Not a basshead by any means, but overall the sound of the AD700s was much more tolerable all round in-game and the positional audio is fantastic, though admittedly this is also a strong point of the DT770s

Because I was plugging in my headphones at any number of netcafes, the AD700s were also better in this regard. Despite being rated at 80ohms the DT770s are still quite difficult to drive, take for instance the K701, it is rated at 62ohms but that doens't make it easy to drive - it isn't. In either case the AD700s are rated at 40ohms and quite efficient and are sufficient out of onboard sound

Of course you may not need to take all these factors into consideration, but with my particular circumstances the AD700s were easily the better phone.

Jul 14, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #26 of 97
Quote:

...comment has made me wary.

You should also be warned that the dynamic dimension of the DT 770 PRO do benefit greatly from HQ amplification.

Jul 14, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #27 of 97
d-cee, what you've said about the AD700s having far better sound quality is putting me off the DT 770 Pros a bit now. Because the DT 770 Pros are difficult to drive, does this mean won't reach such high volumes without an amplifier?

Also, anyone else who owns a pair of DT 770 80 ohm Pros who'd like to tell me how long their cable is?

Jul 14, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #28 of 97
the cable on my dt770 80 ohm is aprox 8-9 feet long and straight wellbuilt cable.

Jul 14, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #29 of 97
I would like to remind you im using mine without an amp and its quite loud. I believe and i am rather hoping that with an amp it will help with the recessed sound a little bit. I use these headphones for gaming and could just use these from now on but like someone else said " getting a good pair of headphones only makes you want an even better pair of headphones ". I don't like listening to some music on these phones but it could be my source and mp3 quality or the headphones not sure right now.

Jul 14, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #30 of 97
Quote:

d-cee, what you've said about the AD700s having far better sound quality is putting me off the DT 770 Pros a bit now. Because the DT 770 Pros are difficult to drive, does this mean won't reach such high volumes without an amplifier?

Also, anyone else who owns a pair of DT 770 80 ohm Pros who'd like to tell me how long their cable is?

not only do they not sound loud, but their sound is flat and not as engaging

this to me is important in gaming because impactful/responseive sound is needed for you to have quick reflexes in surprise attacks etc.

i think most new DT770s come with the straight cable that is 3metres, but if it's coiled then it's shorter, someone said above 1.5m i had mine like a year ago and it was the straight cable variety

Users who are viewing this thread

Back