Beyerdynamic A200P High-End Portable DAC
Jun 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #80 of 154

As far as I know the A200p functions only with the Apple divices that got Lightning cable.

They also offer now a 30-pin connector adapter: http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/spare-parts/connecting-cord-30-pin-a-200p.html

Unfortunately, it's only compatible with iPhone 4, iPad 2, iPod Touch (4th gen).  It will NOT work with iPod Classic.

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #82 of 154
The difference between my IPhone 5 s and the A 200 p isn't worth 300 Euro , so i guess that the IPod sound is similair. Better to invest in good in ears like The IE80 von Sennheiser

Can't comment about iPhone 5 since I'm 100% Android vested, but I'm pretty sure you won't be able to drive 300 ohm or 600 ohm cans out of iP5 and will need an external amp to handle it.  You might be able to find something cheaper for that, but not as small and elegant as A200p which in reality is a re-branded fine-tuned Astell & Kern AK10.  Plus a benefit of USB DAC for your laptop or computer, and compatibility with both Android and iOS, and remote playback control (work with Android, iOS, and on Windows controlling playback of media player) - it's a damn good little device :wink:

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #83 of 154
I also use the A200 p with my Samsung 10.1 tablet 2014 edition and here the progress in sound is very clear. So I admit the little amp is great but it also says a lot of the sound quality of the iPhone 5s. On my laptop i use a Dac from Teac but also the A200 works great with it , no question.

Jun 12, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #84 of 154
They also offer now a 30-pin connector adapter: http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/spare-parts/connecting-cord-30-pin-a-200p.html

Unfortunately, it's only compatible with iPhone 4, iPad 2, iPod Touch (4th gen). It will NOT work with iPod Classic.

Why would they do that? I was waiting to see if there would be a 30 pin for my Ipod classic. That seems like a poor design choice.

Jun 20, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #85 of 154
Got one of these open box from Amazon Warehouse...the lightning connector wiggled in the iPhone 5 lightning input and the sound cut in and out.

Called Beyerdynamic and talked to someone who asked me to email my receipt to them and said he would see if he could get me a replacement cable even though it was open box. I asked him if buying open box meant I had no warranty and he didn't answer the question. To the gentleman's credit he was extremely nice.

A week passed and I didn't hear back, so I called and talked to someone else, they said they would get back to me within a day. That was three days ago.

Frankly, the sound quality over my iPhone alone isn't a large enough a leap to warrant the money, I was going to keep it anyway because it does sound better, but at this point I think I'm done with everything this company makes.

It's all in how you treat your customers. I am new to the whole high end headphone thing and I've had two great experiences with headphone companies; Nobel Audio answered all my noob questions and I've had phone or email contact with half of the Grado family.

Beyerdynamic must have better things to do then provide customer service.

Jun 20, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #86 of 154
I have to admit, good customer service makes me want to spend money I don't need to spend on them.  I got an extremely quick response from ZMF asking if they had a picture of a particular cup color, and it was a thorough explanation to answer my question.  Kind of makes me want to pay them a monetary visit quite soon.

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #87 of 154
Got one of these open box from Amazon Warehouse...the lightning connector wiggled in the iPhone 5 lightning input and the sound cut in and out.

Called Beyerdynamic and talked to someone who asked me to email my receipt to them and said he would see if he could get me a replacement cable even though it was open box. I asked him if buying open box meant I had no warranty and he didn't answer the question. To the gentleman's credit he was extremely nice.

A week passed and I didn't hear back, so I called and talked to someone else, they said they would get back to me within a day. That was three days ago.

Frankly, the sound quality over my iPhone alone isn't a large enough a leap to warrant the money, I was going to keep it anyway because it does sound better, but at this point I think I'm done with everything this company makes.

It's all in how you treat your customers. I am new to the whole high end headphone thing and I've had two great experiences with headphone companies; Nobel Audio answered all my noob questions and I've had phone or email contact with half of the Grado family.

Can I ask what headphones you're using? What bitrate is your music at?

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #88 of 154

Can I ask what headphones you're using? What bitrate is your music at?

Grado SR80e and PS500e with Apple Lossless files.

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #89 of 154

Just curious...thanks. Funny, with my T51p and HP50s I hear a more substantial improvement. Too bad I no longer own the RS1i's or I'd try them (never did get around to plugging them into my A200p).

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #90 of 154

Just curious...thanks. Funny, with my T51p and HP50s I hear a more substantial improvement. Too bad I no longer own the RS1i's or I'd try them (never did get around to plugging them into my A200p).

Funny thing is...with the SR80e I felt like there was a bigger difference then with the PS500e. No idea why though.

With both I do hear a difference in general, and like I said I was going to keep them...but I can't say that the difference was a $300 difference.

I'm also suspicious of what exactly is going on with the A200p controlling the iPhone's volume. Seems to me like maybe the software volume adjustment should be locked and the software EQ shouldn't work if the iPhone's internal DAC and Amp are being bypassed.

Of note...the sound quality was different when listening to the same music from my computer's digital out.

So that brings me to the question: Is the DAC in the A200p actually being used when paired with an iPhone? And if it is, why would the same music sound clearer when listening out of the computer's digital out? Why does the iPhone's Software EQ still work?

It's a puzzling device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back