Beyerdynamic A200P High-End Portable DAC
May 16, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #61 of 154
Well, at least for me, the X3 feels like it has a harder time driving the HE-400 than the HD700, so I can't imagine the 700 is that hard to drive.

May 16, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #62 of 154
  Can this amp drive a HD700?  I know it won't drive it to perfection, but can it at least drive it to where it sounds good?  I'm coming from a Fiio X3 as far as how well its driven, so I don't have particularly difficult standards.

HD700 is 150 ohms.  A200p can drive up to 600 ohm load.  Shouldn't be a problem.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #64 of 154
Great news! Just received word from Beyer that the 30 pin cable just became available to order from Germany and that I would be contacted soon with pricing and so I can place a purchase order for one. Will post more details once I have placed my order for the cable.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #65 of 154
I want one of these, just not sure I'd really use it. For the cost I could built a Schiit stack, seeing I'm already doing an X3/E12 portable bit. Then again, I do so little at the desk, that keeping one of these charged and ready to go for phone/tablet use might make more sense... Still conflicted

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #66 of 154
I want one of these, just not sure I'd really use it. For the cost I could built a Schiit stack, seeing I'm already doing an X3/E12 portable bit. Then again, I do so little at the desk, that keeping one of these charged and ready to go for phone/tablet use might make more sense... Still conflicted

It also works great with a laptop as external usb DAC.  No fumbling with volume buttons, just love how I can quickly turn the volume up/down.  And keep in mind, as a phone DAC/amp it works with both iOS and Android, another big plus.

Jun 7, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #70 of 154
Another update on the 30 pin cable, It is now posted on Beyerdynamic's German website. http://www.beyerdynamic.de/shop/hah/ersatzteile/anschlusskabel-30-pin-a-200p.html?___store=de&___from_store=usa_en

However the real bummer is that it appears that the cable is only compatible with some 30 pin iPads, iPod touches and iPhones. It is not compatible with the iPod classic. nicht kompatibel mit iPod classic is found at the bottom of the page which translates to not compatible with the iPod classic. I will email my contact at Beyer for further confirmation and provide another update when I learn anything further.

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #71 of 154

The revelation that the 30 pin will NOT work with an iPod Classic is particularly disappointing in view of this email I received from iRiver in December of 2013; "Currently, it is compatible with the iPod 5th gen. due to the limited lightning cable.
We are preparing 30pin lightning cable for iPod classic and 4th gen now, so please wait a bit more until the cable is available in the market."
So, what happened in the meantime?

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #73 of 154
It depends on what you expect. The A200 works great with my Samsung Tablet and betters the sound in all ways,with the iPhone 5s the results are less exciting because this phone already sounds great on it's own merits. The combination with my IE80 is great so i expect at least the same with your IE800.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #74 of 154
In addition to depending on a source you pair up A200p with, also different headphones will make a difference in the level of sound improvement.  T51i sound much better driven directly by X5 vs my Note 2, but once I connect A200p to Note 2 - the sound with T51i is more dynamic than from X5.  Also, hands down I only use A200p as my USB DAC for laptop over E18, because sound is better and a lot more convenient using big volume dial :wink:

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #75 of 154
It depends on what you expect. The A200 works great with my Samsung Tablet and betters the sound in all ways,with the iPhone 5s the results are less exciting because this phone already sounds great on it's own merits. The combination with my IE80 is great so i expect at least the same with your IE800.

Well, I expect it to sound the same as the DacMagic Plus which has the exact same dac Wolfson 8740, with the difference being that DacMagic has two DAC chips.
As the IE800 is only 16ohms I don't think the amp does much to the sound quality. The source shouldn't matter either if you use a200p as both dac and amp as the audio is passed digitally to the device. But I have both iPhone 5, iPad mini retina and iPod Classic (which doesn't work with a200p).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back