Best way to lose some weight?
Jul 30, 2003 at 1:59 AM Post #61 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by Squalish
Develope a taste for spicy foods right at the edge of your tolerence level. You tend to not be able to eat more than your share. A lone jalapeno(Started eating them a year ago when I discovered they sell them fresh at Popeyes for some reason for a quarter) and water will usually stop me from being hungry.

Yes my brutha, you got that right! Good, and good for ya! Actually a lot of chiles speed up your metabolism to boot. Cayenne is especially good. I like the endorphine buzz, if you really want to know the truth....

Jul 30, 2003 at 6:21 AM Post #62 of 98
I have just the opposite problem. I am 5'9'' and 127lbs, and cannot put weight on for the life of me. Oh well... I guess I'll just have to stay a skinny geek all my life.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 30, 2003 at 6:25 AM Post #63 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by peter braun
I have just the opposite problem. I am 5'9'' and 127lbs, and cannot put weight on for the life of me. Oh well... I guess I'll just have to stay a skinny geek all my life.
rolleyes.gif

You're only 19, it will catch up with you eventually.

Just do what Cartman did........BEEFCAKE!!!!

Jul 30, 2003 at 8:48 AM Post #64 of 98
take a 2 week vacation in Zion National park or Sedona. Back pack with 1 quart of water for every mile for every hour of trail time. Fig Newtons and trail mix, with a little beef jerky.

Have a nice, full breakfast.
Hike all day.
Have a small salad dinner with a little meat. (3:1 ratio)

After 14 days, I can almost guarantee that you will have lost the 20 pounds.

Don't forget a lot of sunscreen. It helps if it's over 100 degrees, so go in July and August. Forget the tee shirt. Just shorts and hiking boots. Enjoy the scenery.

on the first day, start easy - a nice 1.5 mile hike, twice a day. By the end of the day an 8 mile hike should take you 8 hours (4 hours in, 4 hours out).

Figure a 8 mile hike in will take you 16 hours round trip, or 16 quarts of water. Hike with 4 gallons of water on your back and tell me me you are not going to lose weight!

Jul 30, 2003 at 12:05 PM Post #65 of 98
I was actually in zion a year ago, about this time. Unfortunatly, we stopped as we drove back from albuquerque to las vegas in our rental car. For me, zion > the grand canyon. It was simply incredible!

Aug 13, 2003 at 10:01 AM Post #67 of 98
FYI, like I said, that diet is actually POOR EATING HABITS. You're not gonna be *healthier* doing that stuff.

from http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/s...017538,00.html

Atkins diet is 'pseudo-science', say experts

Study warns of detrimental effects of high-protein, low-carbohydrate meals advocated by bestseller and favoured by celebrities

James Meikle, health correspondent
Wednesday August 13, 2003
The Guardian

The high-protein, low-carbohydrate Atkins diet that has become the fashionable way to lose weight was criticised as "pseudo-science" by health experts yesterday.

The eating habits encouraged by the diet, which favours consumption of eggs, bacon, meat and cheese and frowns on bread, pasta, fruit and vegetables, might help people shed the pounds in the short-term but poses long-term health problems.

It is popular because it allows consumption of fatty foods and is a favourite of stars including Geri Halliwell, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Renée Zellweger and Minnie Driver.

But Susan Jebb, head of nutrition at the government-funded medical research council, said: "There is nothing to persuade me it is a good way to improve your health. It is not even an experiment.

"Nobody is evaluating what is happening out there to millions of people who are following it."

There was evidence that carbohydrates and fibre, from foods including pasta, multigrain bread, beans and pulses, helped to guard against heart disease and cancer. There were also concerns that a high-protein diet might damage the kidneys in some people as well as cutting calcium intake, thus leaving people vulnerable to bone damage such as osteoporosis.

The diet posed an unknown risk, although it was not clear how many people adapted it and allowed themselves a little more carbohydrate than the Atkins "rules" allowed.

"It comes down to the idea that somehow we should be recommending to everyone out there who is overweight they should be following a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet," Dr Jebb said. "That would be negligent."

The diet represented such a change from the "healthy eating" approach recommended by government agencies at present that "serious long-term trials" would be needed to evaluate its impact.

"I certainly think we should be adopting the precautionary principle in terms of public health," the nutritionist said.

Dr Robert Atkins developed the diet and published his bestselling recommendations in the 1970s. It has made a comeback after years out of fashion. Atkins believed carbohydrates overstimulated production of insulin, provoking hunger, more eating and therefore leading to weight gain.

But Dr Jebb warned that for most people protein accounted for 15% of calorie intake. Much higher levels would be achieved under the Atkins diet. Yet many of the foods "banned" by Atkins were also not recommended under more conventional approaches - including cakes, pastries and sugars which could lead to surges in blood sugar levels.

She said the diet represent "pseudo-science" and a psychological crutch for people. She also blamed the food industry for undermining government attempts to encourage balanced diets: "We have allowed the food industry to almost prevent any diet messages going out at all.

"If you took vending machines out of schools, for instance, there is no proof that will make children thinner. I accept that, but do we think it is a positively good thing? The government has got to wake up to the need for the nation to change its eating habits to prevent obesity."

Jane Ogden, a health psychologist of King's College London, also suggested that the Atkins diet was among those which employed "pseudo-science", making people believe certain foods were dangerous or unhealthy.

But such diets, which become the basis of bestselling books, were also far more attractive than conventional "boring" dietary advice which set "blurred" boundaries about what to eat.

"They are very, very clear, extremely concrete, black and white and they set nice rules," Dr Ogden said.

But she cautioned against being too censorious over such diets. They might be scientifically flawed, but it might be that people could not actually follow them long enough to damage their health.

Aug 13, 2003 at 10:35 AM Post #68 of 98
Atkins may be flawed, but that does not mean you should go out and eat mountains of carbohydrates or no fats. The most balanced and best diet will always include large quantities of green vegetables, lean meats and fish with occasional red meat and natural unrefined carbohydrates -- i.e. potatoes, sweet potatoes, cooked carrots, fruits, nuts and occasional whole grains. Supplement this with large quantities of water and you are in the clear. It is all about balance and eating all three at each meal. 5 little meals are better than 3 big ones. Just think about the way people ate 200,000 years ago, and you will probably have your ideal diet.

Aug 13, 2003 at 10:58 AM Post #69 of 98
Just a couple of tidbits. I've heard that you should not eat after a certain time at night, 5 or 6pm, because your metablolism will have trouble breaking the food down. I've also been eating a larger breakfast, medium lunch, and a very light dinner. We'll see how this does.

Aug 13, 2003 at 12:13 PM Post #71 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
You look like you are in fine shape Toshiro. BTW, how the hell are you catching up on my post count within two months of registering and I have been here almost two years?

Getting my hf fix I guess.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
: D

Aug 13, 2003 at 12:20 PM Post #72 of 98
it's good. I secretly wish I could be a prolific poster, but I don't have the gumption. Ah, now back with our scheduled thread. And yes, it is better to frontload with breakfast than dinner. I would have scrambled eggs with shaved goat gouda and spinach. Very gourmet, but takes about five minutes to make. Very easy and very tasty.

Aug 13, 2003 at 12:30 PM Post #73 of 98
here's how i reckon you can lsoe weight:

drink more water
drink less alcohol
eat less junk food
get off your backside and down the gym

now if only i could do it....

rolleyes.gif

Aug 13, 2003 at 12:36 PM Post #74 of 98
My weight has yo-yo'd my entire life and I've been on several temporarily successful diets over the years. My weight gain is because I over-eat and eat lots of junk. When this thread started , since I was weighing in at an all time high, I was inspired to try again. Despite the negative press most fad diets get, I've found the low carb (pseudo Atkins) diet to be the easiest for me to stay on ... and a diet's no good if you don't stay on it. Yes, all sorts of meat, eggs and cheese aren't good for you, but if you were already eating all sorts of meat, eggs and cheese anyway.....along with all sorts of donuts, chocolate bars, ice cream, white bread, potatoes, rice, soda pop, milkshakes, etc., etc., I can't help but think it's an improvement.

Anyway, in the first 6 weeks I lost 24 lbs. It's been 2 weeks since I've weighed myself and I'll wait another 4 before checking my progress again. Clothes are fitting much, much better and I have way more energy than I did 2 months ago.

I try to eat a salad every day along with the eggs, meat and cheese, and so don't feel I'm depriving me or my health of too much nutrition. I'm in the zone now and plan on seeing this through for several more months. Wish me and my kidneys luck.

Aug 13, 2003 at 12:54 PM Post #75 of 98
i'm resigned to the fact i'm never going to be a skinny model type, i've got hips and i'm quite happy with them.

i take after my dad's side of the family, where everyone is fairly chunkified.

lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back