Best way to lose some weight?
Jun 29, 2003 at 4:02 AM Post #46 of 101
you could always request the government to bring back fen fen......

but hey kidding aside - almost everything has been covered here and im glad you are all health conscious now .

i work as a physical therapist - more on geriatrics and i see overweight and obese people are harder to rehab that those who are in the right target weight .this is just my .02 cents.

Jul 29, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #47 of 101
Just an update for you guys. 10 lbs and 2 inches. Oh, and something came along that added some incentive.
biggrin.gif
This weight loss thing has sort of become an addiction. I can't wait to weigh myself every few days to see if I've lost anything. Running has become a lot easier. Today, I ran the fastest I've ever run, most of it up a VERY steep hill. This feels great!

Jul 29, 2003 at 4:31 AM Post #49 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Just an update for you guys. 10 lbs and 2 inches. Oh, and something came along that added some incentive.
biggrin.gif
This weight loss thing has sort of become an addiction. I can't wait to weigh myself every few days to see if I've lost anything. Running has become a lot easier. Today, I ran the fastest I've ever run, most of it up a VERY steep hill. This feels great!

Congrats! What did you find is working (besides running)?

Jul 29, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #51 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Aviod anything extreme!! Anything that is too extreme will never last. The best way to lose and maintain lost weight is small changes and adding some form of exercise. I have seen too many friends start something drastic and radical to lose weight, and then put it all back on and then some after switching back to a normal diet. That is EXTREMELY unhealthy and hard on your body. Add stuff like vegetables and fruits to your diet to add fiber and good, healthy nutrients.

On extremes: If you want to just drop some weight really fast, enroll in a backpacking summercamp. I went from 190 to 150 in three weeks. That's 2 pounds a day.

Malnutrition(almost everything they had was served in half of a normal portion, and most was 'just-add water,' meaning no fats)

lack of water(they refused to let us drink for a day because the ******* counsellors hadn't brough enough iodine)

lugging 40-50 pounds of **** up and down mountains for 10-12 hours(longest day was 18h, shortest 6h) a day

then shivering in a puddle for the few hours before you are woken up early to fix breakfast as punishment for being the 'slow one'

really really takes it out of you.

I had a week afterward where I could barely walk, and had 3-4 inch gaping wounds on my shoulders, sides, and inner thighs(aggh, chafing). Buuuuut.... I lost the weight.

Of course, I didn't keep it off, I was 210 in another 6 months, and I'm 250 now, three or four yearslater.

It DID improve my stamina and patience a ton - dealing with the psycho-hippies that ran the place nearly drove me to suicide, but I made it through.

The thing that really pissed me off was that I found out later that they payed each of the two counsellors about $2 a day for each of us(group of 8), and gave them $5 per camper per week for food, and set us loose. My grandmother had payed approximately $100/day for the camp.
-----------------------------------------
</bitching>

I have recently got back on track, and I've lost 10 pounds in the last month or two.

Advice:

Give up soda. Drink water. Only.

Eat tons of vegetables. Carrots have around 45 calories a serving - If you're really hungry, have 5 or 6 servings, that's as much as you would have had in your average candy bar, and you're likely to genuinely have a full stomach. Ditto with most other vegetables(not including potatoes).

If you're the type who's left to make what's in the fridge, go out when your parents go grocery shopping and get some healthy stuff. I've found that the Healthy Choice/Lean Cuisine and all that crap present a decent selection of foods(hell of a lot more than the fscking diet smoothies), even if you're a pig and eat two of the damn things per meal, as long as you don't eat any snacks, you still stay around 2000 calories a day. Moderate with veggies if possible.

Don't pay heed to any of the diets that say that some foods are better for you than others. While some of the facts they say are true, many aren't, and the vast majority won't help you. Pay attention to calories, and calories only. It is by far the best indicator of the amount of energy you're putting into your body. This provides a flexibility that diets don't have - If you're feeling like chocolate, have a little chocolate, just make sure that when you add the calories onto your daily total, it doesn't exceed the number you've set for yourself.

If you're eating out, try to get to a Subway, they're now the biggest restaurant chain in the US, and most of their stuff is relatively healthy. A 12" turkey sub with cheese is guarenteed to serve as a large meal, and it's half or less calories as what would consitute a large meal at a McDonalds. If you're at a fast food joint where calories aren't prominently displayed, take into account Doctor Nick's Number One Rule of Weight Gain(paraphrased) - If you rub it against a napkin and the napkin turns transparent, then it's guarenteed good for weight gain.

Walk. It doesn't need to be at a certain pace, or a certain distance, as long as you make a habbit of it for at least an hour a day. I alternate between a 4-5 mile loop of bike paths(I take my dogs if they're awake) in about an hour and a half and doing an hour at 2mph on a treadmill - at 15 grade(burns about 5x the calories as flat, according to the counter).

Develope a taste for spicy foods right at the edge of your tolerence level. You tend to not be able to eat more than your share. A lone jalapeno(Started eating them a year ago when I discovered they sell them fresh at Popeyes for some reason for a quarter) and water will usually stop me from being hungry.

Jul 29, 2003 at 5:34 AM Post #52 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
biggrin.gif

congrats...
it was DDR wansnt it
tongue.gif

jk!

Jul 29, 2003 at 8:58 AM Post #53 of 101
Hmmm... I've developed a tiny bit of a gut ever since I started University, and quit my high-school sports.

Problem is, if I lose any weight, my waist will get smaller, and my jeans and pants won't look very good (too loose).
confused.gif

Jul 29, 2003 at 9:05 AM Post #54 of 101
There are two things I'll never give up: soda and chocolate. Find a way to incorporate these into a diet plan for me and I'm there
wink.gif

Oh, and Squalish, that sounds like hell. I'll make sure to never ever do anything like that. Well I have, just nothing that intense. Yeesh.

Jul 29, 2003 at 12:18 PM Post #55 of 101
actually, i've simply stuck to the simple stuff: eat less and exercise. First, eating less: I've basically cut down a ton on the whole idea of eating. For breakfast, a bowl of cereal(well, serving wise, 1.5 servings or so). For lunch, I usually pack a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, fruit, yogurt, and a fruit bar of some sorts. Dinner is where I've really cut back. Yesterday for dinner I had 4 or so bites of chicken, 2 slivers of a potatoe, and a half of a corn on the cob. I NEVER eat after 630 or so, and I rarely, if ever, drink something other than water. Exercise wise, I take a very brisk walk for about 30 minutes each morning. Then, during lunch, I play football or ultimate frisbee. Finally, in the evening, I go for another jog/walk. Oh, and I also never eat out anymore.

Jul 29, 2003 at 2:58 PM Post #56 of 101
Well, I have an adrenal gland problem, and my endocrinologist also happens to be among the best nutrition/diet consultants in the world. Her name is Dr. Schwarzbein and her office is in Santa Barbara. Do a search on her name, she has several books out that are huge sellers. They really do work for more than just losing weight, but actually being very very healthy.
Ok, you will never lose fat effectively by eating less, you will lose muscle. You need to eat a balanced diet of natural foods (as few processed things as possible). Ideally you will have 5 meals a day with little snacking. At each meal you should eat green vegetables (including breakfast), healthy fats (fish and meat, nuts, eggs), and carbohydrates (fruit and starchy vegetables and unprocessed grains.). The biggest problem is that people overeat carbohydrates to the nth degree. Have a big juicy steak, just avoid the white bread. You should have some carbohydrates, but not too much. Probably 15-30 grams per meal. You should drink lots and lots and lots of water. Probably two liters a day or more. Avoid sugar and sugar based foods (alcohol, any common snack). Fruit juice is a no-no because it takes out all the pulp that slows down the metabolisation of sugar in the body -- it makes it too sweet and too much of a shock to a system. Instead, have a whole orange and eat it with some healthy fats like nuts. Eating this way is a little different, but you really get to enjoy it...the food you are eating is much closer to what we were intended to eat, so it just feels right. I tend to take an evoluationary biology standpoint -- the human body is the product of millions of years of evolution, and this evolution designed it to survive off of certain things -- fresh vegetables, nuts, berries, meat, fish and non processed food. Cheetos were not part of the master plan -- orange is the color of danger in nature -- take heed. Follow what your body was made to eat. Check out Schwarzbein, she is the bomb. If I haven't convinced you, reading her book and all the biochemical rationale will be enough. Trust me, I used to weigh 220 pounds at 5'5", eating this way and exercising moderately (don't do too much, or you actually start to eat your own lean muscle mass...they actually made me excercise less, and it worked better) you will lose weight gradually and healthily. I am now at about 165 and still gradually losing weight. I feel great and look better than when I just lost a lot of weight through overexcercising and undereating.

Jul 29, 2003 at 3:04 PM Post #57 of 101
The best way to lose weight is to pick up smoking and smoking a cigarette whenever you want to eat. It will also make you look cool and smell great.

Jul 29, 2003 at 4:33 PM Post #58 of 101
uh...i dont think sigs make you smell great

Jul 29, 2003 at 5:07 PM Post #60 of 101
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant
Kelly's already covered most of the easiest methods but I'm surprised nobody's mentioned liposuction. You can actually lose weight while laying down. Bulimia is another tried and true method
smily_headphones1.gif

get a drug problem, watch the pounds melt away...

rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back