Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #6,781 of 7,916

​Jimster480, very interesting. Would it be possible to produce a practical example on this sniper activity?

I did notice the european model of lg v10 is h960, while the unlocked AT&T variant at $279 is the h960. Doesn't tell me much, but perhaps somebody else knows the actual difference.​ Could be the GSM frequency band? I would be interested in purchasing a second sample since it also has an AUX outlet via the headphone out. This is important because it create compliance to analog preamplifiers. A normal headphone out does not offer ideal circumstances. Hence, the phone is actually a candidate as a WiFi wireless DAC "function" connected to other high end stereo.

For example, we have ROON in this house, with its zones and all that. This is much like Sonos, only better because you can use it on whatever "boxes" you have, like e.g. a LG V10. For example, I sit on my pc while working, controlling what is played on the lg v10 that is on my ears simultaneously. Roon uses either Tidal or the local music library (somewhere on the wifi) as source. It is a meld of Tidal and local music. This can be casted from whatever device to whatever device that has roon installed (as software). This is very if not extremely convenient.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #6,783 of 7,916
Well I have the v10 for +14 months now. I use it almost everyday as mine has duosims and I travel quite a lot...
I have two 13 months old batteries. Each lasts me half a day with hotspot turned on and social media&gps always on in the background.
V10 gets hot easily with Facebook, games like dominations, and it get hot fast if you play games while charging...
Google boot loop issue for LG g4, g5, v10 it's out there!

My phone fried one time when I was doing an outdoor event and I have Facebook running while direct sunlight was hitting my phone at 80~90 degrees afternoon.

As an experienced v10 user my suggestion is to be cautious of the phone temp otherwise you might get the bootloop problem.

But for listening to music while web browsing or playing chess games it's fine. Won't get too hot. But good luck if you play a data draining and graphic demanding game... Coz you will slowly cook the phone if it gets too hot and you are asking for trouble if you do all those things while charging the phone directly.

Get a charging cradle and extra battery with the v10 if you wanna keep the temperature down.

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #6,784 of 7,916
http://m.gsmarena.com/zte_axon_pro_receives_150_price_cut-blog-23424.php

axon pro should feature an ak4490 dac iirc, and for those who live in the us, $200 might be a good deal.

Just remember it has no microsd card support, so 64gb which is something like 52gb in reality is all you get for storage

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #6,785 of 7,916

​Jimster480, very interesting. Would it be possible to produce a practical example on this sniper activity?

I did notice the european model of lg v10 is h960, while the unlocked AT&T variant at $279 is the h960. Doesn't tell me much, but perhaps somebody else knows the actual difference.​ Could be the GSM frequency band? I would be interested in purchasing a second sample since it also has an AUX outlet via the headphone out. This is important because it create compliance to analog preamplifiers. A normal headphone out does not offer ideal circumstances. Hence, the phone is actually a candidate as a WiFi wireless DAC "function" connected to other high end stereo.

For example, we have ROON in this house, with its zones and all that. This is much like Sonos, only better because you can use it on whatever "boxes" you have, like e.g. a LG V10. For example, I sit on my pc while working, controlling what is played on the lg v10 that is on my ears simultaneously. Roon uses either Tidal or the local music library (somewhere on the wifi) as source. It is a meld of Tidal and local music. This can be casted from whatever device to whatever device that has roon installed (as software). This is very if not extremely convenient.

I understand, but there are many cheap DAC's out that which are great. Like a FiiO K1 or the HifiMeDIY Sabre or FiiO E18K or SMSL M6 just to name a few of them.
I have Heos in my house and between the 2 Heos 3 that I have and my various devices with Spotify I have no issues controlling something from another location.

Infact when I go to my dads house I plug my iPod touch into his stereo and control the tracks via Spotify Connect.

dude, I thought the admin may still be/read with us

I'm not sure what the admin would do for you. Just because you disagree with what I have written doesn't mean I am violating any rules or flaming anyone.
I think it is beyond ridiculous that you think you can call an admin to "help" you from reading my comments just because you don't agree.
This is the internet, people will always disagree and that is fine.
Well I have the v10 for +14 months now. I use it almost everyday as mine has duosims and I travel quite a lot...
I have two 13 months old batteries. Each lasts me half a day with hotspot turned on and social media&gps always on in the background.
V10 gets hot easily with Facebook, games like dominations, and it get hot fast if you play games while charging...
Google boot loop issue for LG g4, g5, v10 it's out there!

My phone fried one time when I was doing an outdoor event and I have Facebook running while direct sunlight was hitting my phone at 80~90 degrees afternoon.

As an experienced v10 user my suggestion is to be cautious of the phone temp otherwise you might get the bootloop problem.

But for listening to music while web browsing or playing chess games it's fine. Won't get too hot. But good luck if you play a data draining and graphic demanding game... Coz you will slowly cook the phone if it gets too hot and you are asking for trouble if you do all those things while charging the phone directly.

Get a charging cradle and extra battery with the v10 if you wanna keep the temperature down.

What carrier do you have it on? If you are in the USA maybe you have the same model as my friends.
One was on T-Mobile and the other AT&T.

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #6,786 of 7,916
  I'm not sure what the admin would do for you. Just because you disagree with what I have written doesn't mean I am violating any rules or flaming anyone.
I think it is beyond ridiculous that you think you can call an admin to "help" you from reading my comments just because you don't agree.
This is the internet, people will always disagree and that is fine.

The admin can delete his post as I've just done. For the future no need to reply on the public thread, just reported (as others have).

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #6,787 of 7,916
I got the h962 variant from Taiwan. Apparently now there is a petition in the local web site mobile01 to file a report against LG for the reoccurring bootloop problem that many people are having now.

This is why I kept emphasizing on my last post to keep the phone temperature down and charge with a battery cradle instead of direct charging with the v10. I lost some files me photos from my last bootloop fiasco and I wouldn't want to see any other members here going through the same problem...

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #6,788 of 7,916

This chart is not quite correct for the V10 and V20. The headphone out detects the impedance of what is plugged in and adjusts the amplifier gain to match it. Low impedance headphones get 0.45V rms, high impedance headphones get 1.8V rms (underpowered? Really?), and the above corresponds to detecting a line in where it gives 0.99V rms.

"Smart"phone for audio.

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #6,789 of 7,916
This is what some other people have told me and my friend actually has a V20 and he said the same thing to me.

Maybe its output impedance?

What your friend is probably finding is that his headphones register as low impedance to the V20, and as such limit the output to 0.45V rms (see reply above). If they disconnect the headphone end of the cable before inserting the 3.5mm into the V20, they will fool the phone that the headphones are a line in, and they will get up to 0.99V rms. Careful with the ear damage, I will not be held responsable.

Now if you fool it into seeing a 50-600 ohm headphone it can go up to 1.8V rms and that lights up all the DACs (it seems, not quite convinced yet). Now REALLY be careful. I have inefficient Audeze Sines, and it is the ONLY phone which can drive them on quiet music.

Stick that up your HTC10 headphone socket. (Said with respect, as long as it is returned)

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #6,790 of 7,916
What your friend is probably finding is that his headphones register as low impedance to the V20, and as such limit the output to 0.45V rms (see reply above). If they disconnect the headphone end of the cable before inserting the 3.5mm into the V20, they will fool the phone that the headphones are a line in, and they will get up to 0.99V rms. Careful with the ear damage, I will not be held responsable.

Now if you fool it into seeing a 50-600 ohm headphone it can go up to 1.8V rms and that lights up all the DACs (it seems, not quite convinced yet). Now REALLY be careful. I have inefficient Audeze Sines, and it is the ONLY phone which can drive them on quiet music.

Stick that up your HTC10 headphone socket. (Said with respect, as long as it is returned)

Interesting info, I've never heard this before.
Did they publish any information on this? Now I am curious if any other devices also do this. I mean technically speaking it makes alot of sense.

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #6,791 of 7,916
Interesting info, I've never heard this before.
Did they publish any information on this? Now I am curious if any other devices also do this. I mean technically speaking it makes alot of sense.

LG didn't, but it has been discussed a lot. I have made a little impedance fooling cable for mine.

I think LG was trying to get around the Euro capping, and as the V20 isn't available in Europe, I guess it didn't work.

The leaked info on the G6 suggestes the QUAD DAC is only for "selected markets" so it sounds like Europe is going to get stuffed again, with a special version with the audio goodness reduced or missing.

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #6,792 of 7,916
This chart is not quite correct for the V10 and V20. The headphone out detects the impedance of what is plugged in and adjusts the amplifier gain to match it. Low impedance headphones get 0.45V rms, high impedance headphones get 1.8V rms (underpowered? Really?), and the above corresponds to detecting a line in where it gives 0.99V rms.

"Smart"phone for audio.

​This is relevant. Would you please inform about your source for this information?

It is correct that the phone will detect three different things automatically. It is autodiscovered, then displayed in the settings:

1. a low impedance headphone
2. a high impedance headphone (+50Ohm)
3. an aux input on a preamplifier, i.e. the lg V10 entering a kind of "wireless DAC" mode.

In addition comes the normal low quality DAC integrated on the processor, said to be similar in audio quality to the most expensive iPhones, but here we talk about hifi, and this is truly what is granted by the ESS Sabre 9018 extra DAC and ditto amplifier :)

I returned a Dragonfly red with the 9016 little brother DAC, because I found LG V10 better sounding. More "black" as we say in HighFidelity circles. I also immediately sold my Fii e17 DAC for the same reason, but these are remarks based on personal opinion, back to the LG v10:

This auto-detect solution is intelligent and user friendly, but there is a severe bug here, because only the built in LG media player in active state will cause 2 to hit in and grant full volume. If you connect Tidal, Spotify, USB media player pro, or probably whatever, you get the 1 volume level, also when connecting a high impedance headphone. The volume 1 level is much lower than the 2 volume level. MUCH LOWER.

LG developers, if your read this, this is dangerous for the case when you switch from Tidal to native media player because the volume increase dramatically without warning. In consequence, damage to your hearing faculty is the worst possible outcome. For your serious consideration, not only because there are now overprotective EU regulations with the intention to prevent hearing loss. You can see this in the form "volume has been lowered automatically for your protection" type of messages on many operating systems, not only Android.

The remedy is the app: "HiFi everywhere DAC fix", which sole purpose seems to be to grant "high volume" and thus, equal volume to all installed media players.  This solves the problem because the surprise change in volume level is now gone.

LG developers again: Keep the high volume gain solution (2). Do not lower the max level to (1), because this is really a few steps too low.

When this bug is fixed, the LG V10 (and perhaps subsequent models like the v20?) will be perfect. I can use LG V10 on the go as a premium quality playback unit, as a lower quality on the go unit when using lower impedance earplugs, as a wireless DAC in my home environment, and more. What a steal..

Note: There is discussion about heat problems above. My H960 variant is totally cool regardless of charging or not, and regardless of usage, however I do not play games.

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #6,793 of 7,916
Yes I would really like to know the source.

Also the ESS 9018 doesn't really mean anything, its all based around implementation.
There are actually plenty of people who do not like the "ESS/Sabre Sound" as its been called.
I personally have not compared them side by side so I cannot comment myself, but you cannot look at the DAC chip inside of something to determine if it is good or not.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #6,794 of 7,916
​This is relevant. Would you please inform about your source for this information?

I measured it.

It is correct that the phone will detect three different things automatically. It is autodiscovered, then displayed in the settings:

1. a low impedance headphone
2. a high impedance headphone (+50Ohm)
3. an aux input on a preamplifier, i.e. the lg V10 entering a kind of "wireless DAC" mode.

In addition comes the normal low quality DAC integrated on the processor, said to be similar in audio quality to the most expensive iPhones, but here we talk about hifi, and this is truly what is granted by the ESS Sabre 9018 extra DAC and ditto amplifier :)

I returned a Dragonfly red with the 9016 little brother DAC, because I found LG V10 better sounding. More "black" as we say in HighFidelity circles. I also immediately sold my Fii e17 DAC for the same reason, but these are remarks based on personal opinion, back to the LG v10:

This auto-detect solution is intelligent and user friendly, but there is a severe bug here, because only the built in LG media player in active state will cause 2 to hit in and grant full volume. If you connect Tidal, Spotify, USB media player pro, or probably whatever, you get the 1 volume level, also when connecting a high impedance headphone. The volume 1 level is much lower than the 2 volume level. MUCH LOWER.

Yes that is an issue. The V20 doesn't appear to do that, and I'd heard an update to the V10 fixed it to use the hifi DAC for third parties, so the "DAC fix for V10" app on the play store you speak of is no longer needed

LG developers, if your read this, this is dangerous for the case when you switch from Tidal to native media player because the volume increase dramatically without warning. In consequence, damage to your hearing faculty is the worst possible outcome. For your serious consideration, not only because there are now overprotective EU regulations with the intention to prevent hearing loss. You can see this in the form "volume has been lowered automatically for your protection" type of messages on many operating systems, not only Android.

The remedy is the app: "HiFi every DAC fix", which sole purpose seems to be to grant "high volume" and thus, equal volume to all installed media players.  This solves the problem because the surprise change in volume level is now gone.

LG developers again: Keep the high volume gain solution (2). Do not lower the max level to (1), because this is really a few steps too low.

When this bug is fixed, the LG V10 (and perhaps subsequent models like the v20?) will be perfect. I can use LG V10 on the go as a premium quality playback unit, as a lower quality on the go unit when using lower impedance earplugs, as a wireless DAC in my home environment, and more. What a steal..

Note: There is discussion about heat problems above. My H960 variant is totally cool regardless of charging or not, and regardless of usage, however I do not play games.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #6,795 of 7,916

"Smart"phone for audio.

I stand corrected! Come to think of it, that S7E in the list measures higher than mine. I have the SD version though, maybe that's an international Exynos...

The 0.45V rms would be the European limit.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back