Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #3,646 of 7,916
in what way? I'm debating getting the V10 to compliment / replace the G5 / B&O module and you have me perplexed, as I've never understood the jet audio or whatever it is that Cowon brandish...

Grant you my exposure is limited, a D2 and a slightly newer version whose model number eludes me (S something?) anyhow, wasn't that enamoured, so if your J3 beats the V10 on a general basis, then I think I'll stick where I am.

Really? I thought the G5 + DAC was better than the V10? Or do I have that backwards. Do we take any stock in one having the 9028 and one having the 9018? Surely + 10 increase means better right? 
happy_face1.gif

-Collin-

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #3,648 of 7,916

Really? I thought the G5 + DAC was better than the V10? Or do I have that backwards. Do we take any stock in one having the 9028 and one having the 9018? Surely + 10 increase means better right? 
happy_face1.gif

-Collin-

You'll never know with Sabre, from The Audioquest dragonfly product page:

Compared to the ESS 9023, the 32-bit ESS 9010 offers improved
overall performance and uses a sophisticated minimum-phase
digital filter to provide more naturally detailed and dynamic music.

Like the ESS 9010, the 32-bit ESS 9016 uses a sophisticated
minimum-phase digital filter to provide more naturally detailed and
dynamic music, but surpasses the 9010 in overall performance

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #3,649 of 7,916
in what way? I'm debating getting the V10 to compliment / replace the G5 / B&O module and you have me perplexed, as I've never understood the jet audio or whatever it is that Cowon brandish...

Grant you my exposure is limited, a D2 and a slightly newer version whose model number eludes me (S something?) anyhow, wasn't that enamoured, so if your J3 beats the V10 on a general basis, then I think I'll stick where I am.

Are you not happy with the LG G5 + B&O or are you just getting bored?

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #3,650 of 7,916
If the only way to control the output gain of the LGG5 B&O module is through piggy lead adapters, or higher impedance headphones/iem than I would prefer a rooted V10. With Alsa mixer App controlling the gain, you can achieve a great amount of overhead power. No matter what the impedance is.

Jul 28, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #3,652 of 7,916
Xiaomi just announced their new Redmi Pro with dual camera, so far it seems impressive with expandable memory, not to mention that 4000MaH battery.

Hopefully it will have at least 24 bit audio, with good amps

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2016/7/27/12301434/the-redmi-pro-is-xiaomis-first-dual-camera-smartphone#scso=uid_0:0

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #3,653 of 7,916
Xiaomi just announced their new Redmi Pro with dual camera, so far it seems impressive with expandable memory, not to mention that 4000MaH battery.

Hopefully it will have at least 24 bit audio, with good amps

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2016/7/27/12301434/the-redmi-pro-is-xiaomis-first-dual-camera-smartphone#scso=uid_0:0

Lets hope they use an external DAC because the mediatek SoCs are not known for their sound quality.

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #3,655 of 7,916
Thank you! It's 1st. I've seen 2nd too on Amazon, but have not found the description of what has been changed and decided not to pay additional 50 bucks. Do you know the differences?
smily_headphones1.gif

From what I've read.. Lower impedance, improved bass and treble details. Inner cups are now black.. It's easier to drive now without using additional Amp. Although some people still prefer the sound of the 1st Gen..

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #3,656 of 7,916
From what I've read.. Lower impedance, improved bass and treble details. Inner cups are now black.. It's easier to drive now without using additional Amp. Although some people still prefer the sound of the 1st Gen..

Sometimes it's told that high-impedance versions of headphones sound more transparent and clearer, bass definition is better, and the soundstage is more spacious.
But of course it's still important the given smartphone drives headphones. In my case, I would not say X6 plus makes it easily, but volume margin is enough for me. I also plugged 'em to my Nubia Z9 and sometimes I have to keep volume on upper mark.

Jul 28, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #3,657 of 7,916
Wow, the ZTE Axon 7 REALLY is just 400$ or  euros depending on where you are. I'm surprised because similar products from ZTE in the past that had similar peformance and specs boasted a price that would definitely make your eyes water just by looking at them.

New best deal in town for you guys? Has anyone heard it so far?

Jul 29, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #3,660 of 7,916
Still no Axon 7 audio impressions? Gold version is sold out allready. I wonder if I will still want that phone once I would be able to buy it..
smily_headphones1.gif

The stars have aligned with the UPS gods to completely screw me, so I won't get mine until Monday. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday, but weather (85 degrees and sunny?) caused a delay. Then today, I had to leave for a wedding so I had to have it redirected to a UPS office, which is closed on Sunday when I get back. Argh, not till Monday for me! But I will post impressions as soon as I get it and unbox it.

For now, still LOVING my G5 + DAC. I got the Sony XBA-300 IEMs yesterday and this combination provides an INSANE amount of detail for a portable rig. I love it. 

-Collin-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back