Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #3,631 of 7,916
It doesn't have to, I listen to 320kbps mp3 files so I don't make use of the audiophile DAC, plus only use in-ear buds so nothing too heavy to push like those over-the-ear people have here. If it has clear, loud output it's good enough.

Sent from my Optimus G using Tapatalk

It has very clean output :-D I had it. But I would not use it for music - there's no meat in its sound. It's flat like any other qualcomm solution...

My set now - VIVO X6 Plus + BeoPlay H6

Anybody listened to this external iPhone 6 DAC?
http://www.arcam.co.uk/range/rseries/musicboost.htm

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #3,632 of 7,916
ZTE Axon 7 review from PC Mag is up and I am concerned by this: 

"Wired audio through the 3.5mm audio jack isn't nearly as thundering as it is through the HTC 10's 1V headphone amp."

-Collin-

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #3,633 of 7,916
Regarding the ASUS Zenfone 2 Laser - ASUS_Z00TD (WW_Z00T).

The OS update to Marshmallow, Android 6.01, WW_21.40.1220.1708_20160621, has made a substantial difference:

Pros:

Overall balanced sound signature, with a bias towards to warmth.  Highs are no longer as obviously rolled off as they were in Lollipop.  Mids are fashionably recessed, that is to say they are clear and present, but slightly recessed.

Cons:

Low output levels through headphone jack.  You'll either need super efficient in-ears, or a portable headphone amp, to go with this.

Recommendation:

If you aren't using efficient buds, pair this up with something like a Fiio E11k, and you'll be set for commute / office audio.

Important:

1) This phone sounded terrible with Lollipop (Android 5.x) OS, even with Audio Wizard disabled.  2)  In Marshmallow (Android 6.x) disable it; it makes all the difference on this phone in the updated OS.

Bottom line:

The audio won't win awards, but it should be more than enough to keep you aurally-entertained when you aren't at home with your $million, gold-cable, spiritually-exorcised, blessed by virgin priests, gear.  This phone is recommended as a good non-gaming phone with decent audio on a budget, if you accept that headphone output is low, and that for anything other than ear-buds, you'll need an outboard amp.

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #3,634 of 7,916
It has very clean output :-D I had it. But I would not use it for music - there's no meat in its sound. It's flat like any other qualcomm solution...

My set now - VIVO X6 Plus + BeoPlay H6

Anybody listened to this external iPhone 6 DAC?
http://www.arcam.co.uk/range/rseries/musicboost.htm

Gorgeous photo! Is this the 1st or 2nd Gen H6?

ZTE Axon 7 review from PC Mag is up and I am concerned by this:

"Wired audio through the 3.5mm audio jack isn't nearly as thundering as it is through the HTC 10's 1V headphone amp."

-Collin-

That is true, Collin. The HTC 10's Amp is quite powerful as seen in various sound tests. Too bad, most people confuse Volume with SQ.. I still believe that a High-spec DAC will sound cleaner and better than the built-in Qualcomm Aqstic. But I love that other manufacturers are now competing with high-end DACs. At least we know where the future of Smartphone Audio will lead us.

Regarding the ASUS Zenfone 2 Laser - ASUS_Z00TD (WW_Z00T).

The OS update to Marshmallow, Android 6.01, WW_21.40.1220.1708_20160621, has made a substantial difference:

Pros:

Overall balanced sound signature, with a bias towards to warmth.  Highs are no longer as obviously rolled off as they were in Lollipop.  Mids are fashionably recessed, that is to say they are clear and present, but slightly recessed.

Cons:

Low output levels through headphone jack.  You'll either need super efficient in-ears, or a portable headphone amp, to go with this.

Recommendation:

If you aren't using efficient buds, pair this up with something like a Fiio E11k, and you'll be set for commute / office audio.

Important:

1) This phone sounded terrible with Lollipop (Android 5.x) OS, even with Audio Wizard disabled.  2)  In Marshmallow (Android 6.x) disable it; it makes all the difference on this phone in the updated OS.

Bottom line:

The audio won't win awards, but it should be more than enough to keep you aurally-entertained when you aren't at home with your $million, gold-cable, spiritually-exorcised, blessed by virgin priests, gear.  This phone is recommended as a good non-gaming phone with decent audio on a budget, if you accept that headphone output is low, and that for anything other than ear-buds, you'll need an outboard amp.

Great mini-review.. very helpful indeed..

Jul 27, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #3,636 of 7,916
Hi,

I wonder if someone could recommend a mid-sized mid-priced ~5 inch ~400$ smartphone with good sound quality. I'm looking to upgrade my Cowon J3 DAP which is quite aged by now.

A good recommendation of slim DAP ~10mm thickness will also do.

Many thanks in advance.

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #3,637 of 7,916
  Hi,

I wonder if someone could recommend a mid-sized mid-priced ~5 inch ~400$ smartphone with good sound quality. I'm looking to upgrade my Cowon J3 DAP which is quite aged by now.

Many thanks in advance.

The Meizu Pro 6, HTC 10, ZTE Axon Mini and LG G5 are all below 5.5 inches.. HTC 10 is still expensive though. I strongly recommend the LG G5. Its built-in module already provides decent audio. But equipped with the B&O hifi module, it can compete with some expensive DAPs. You can ask SeeSax or Duncan about the sound of the G5 and its module.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #3,638 of 7,916
good thing I dont need it thundering. Just loud enough. Any mention of sound quality?
True, but - then we could all drive around in Fiat 500s...

It isn't necessarily about outright volume, it is about the power (reserves) needed to drive the headphones...

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #3,639 of 7,916
Hi,

Many thanks in advance.

My j3 still beats the LG V10, so dont expect it to be much of an upgrade.

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #3,641 of 7,916
anyone here use Viper4Android? i just rooted my htc 10 and debating if i should try out V4A.. the boomsound sounds INCREDIBLE already so not sure if i want to risk one of those 'dont fix it if it aint broke' moments, because ive read v4a can be kind of finnicky so debating if its worth the potential hassle... basically, did anyone notice a drastic improvement using V4A?

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #3,642 of 7,916
My j3 still beats the LG V10, so dont expect it to be much of an upgrade.
in what way? I'm debating getting the V10 to compliment / replace the G5 / B&O module and you have me perplexed, as I've never understood the jet audio or whatever it is that Cowon brandish...

Grant you my exposure is limited, a D2 and a slightly newer version whose model number eludes me (S something?) anyhow, wasn't that enamoured, so if your J3 beats the V10 on a general basis, then I think I'll stick where I am.

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #3,643 of 7,916
in what way? I'm debating getting the V10 to compliment / replace the G5 / B&O module and you have me perplexed, as I've never understood the jet audio or whatever it is that Cowon brandish...

Grant you my exposure is limited, a D2 and a slightly newer version whose model number eludes me (S something?) anyhow, wasn't that enamoured, so if your J3 beats the V10 on a general basis, then I think I'll stick where I am.

It's not that the V10 is bad, I'm using it on a daily basis, J3 was a standout product in the cowon brand, instruments just sounds realistic with punchy bass compared to V10 in HiFi mode.

I doubt the V10 is a huge improvement over what you have now, I would wait for the V20 coming out in a couple of months.

Jul 27, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #3,644 of 7,916
anyone here use Viper4Android? i just rooted my htc 10 and debating if i should try out V4A.. the boomsound sounds INCREDIBLE already so not sure if i want to risk one of those 'dont fix it if it aint broke' moments, because ive read v4a can be kind of finnicky so debating if its worth the potential hassle... basically, did anyone notice a drastic improvement using V4A?

For me one of the best audio tools. Usefull do bluetooth connection. Please be aware that You need to have SELinux set to permissive.You should try also ARISE Sound. It's praised on xda. Unfortunately in my previous Galaxy S4 this tool put my modem into sleep :frowning2:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back