Best Portable Headphone Amp for around $100-150?
Oct 10, 2007 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

mrselfdestruct

Head-Fier
So I'm sure this is a topic that has been done to death at this point, but I thought I'd ask anyway:

Can you guys give recommendations on portable amps for 150 bucks or less? I'm using primarily an iPod/Mac laptop and Grado SR60's, Sony 7506's and Shure E2C's. At some point will most likely be getting Senn 600 or 650's and a dock line out cable for the iPod.

Music listened to most often is metal, experimental/electronic, rock, folk, jazz, hip-hop, classical in approximately that order. I guess the main impetus for getting the amp is to make the Shure's not sound like crap anymore, but I'll obviously be using it with the other 2 as well. Build quality and battery life are much less important than awesome sound.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 35
Take a look at the C&C amps. I thought the C&CBox had especially good synergy with the laid-back iPod and laid-back Senns. I did a short review here.

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go for the Meier Headsix 150.00.....165.00 with paypal

How can you recommend an amp that no one has heard yet? OP wait a few more days when reviews start coming in. I have one on the way as well.

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #6 of 35
I've read good things about the Minibox-E. I am thinking about getting it as my first amp purchase. It's $149 with free shipping to the US. -CK

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 35
To my ears, the iBasso T2 sounds pretty good (that's sitting between my iPod w/ LOD and my E2Cs).

Of course, I haven't really heard better, so take it with a grain of salt.

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you recommend an amp that no one has heard yet? OP wait a few more days when reviews start coming in. I have one on the way as well.

I can recommend it based on the same reasons you are buying one.

Meier's rep and the fact it is based on the move.
I have the move and that is a great amp.

Anyway, I said I would get the headsix, that would be my recommendation to myself as well as to the OP.

So mind your own business. Don't tell me what I should or should not recommend.....got it?

The Op asked for your comments, I didn't.

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #10 of 35
You might want to look into the mini^3 as well.

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my ears, the iBasso T2 sounds pretty good (that's sitting between my iPod w/ LOD and my E2Cs).

Of course, I haven't really heard better, so take it with a grain of salt.

I've compared the iBasso T2 to the V7 Max. The iBasso is good but the V7 Max is much better. The V7 sounds much more natural and has a lot more power. The iBasso only sounds good with the gain set to max. It has a nice soundstage, but the V7 Max is more accurate and neutral and provides more punch.

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #14 of 35
mini^3 really can't be equaled at that price point. I don't think it can be equaled period if you put in the right parts. Pico for something just as good or slightly better but different flavor.

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can recommend it based on the same reasons you are buying one.

Meier's rep and the fact it is based on the move.
I have the move and that is a great amp.

Anyway, I said I would get the headsix, that would be my recommendation to myself as well as to the OP.

So mind your own business. Don't tell me what I should or should not recommend.....got it?

The Op asked for your comments, I didn't.

For a new member here, you sure are a mouthy one. Everyone is allowed to give their opinions here. Rudeness is not necessary and is not welcomed. You don't need to speak to him like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back