Best Limited Edition Headphones
Jan 24, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #46 of 71
Very true.
Although I believe the SR007 Mk1 to be better in terms of musicality, the HE60 has me going back to see what the music sounds like through them.

I really need to pack the HE60's away and listen to 2 to 3 songs on the SR007's to hear the mellifluous nature they have after listening to the HE60's.

If it was a straight comparison of the 2 headphones, one after the other, the HE60 would win.

This is one reason why the real test of a headphone is to live with it for a while without swapping to another.

Spend time exclusively with one phone, grab the next one and spend some time exclusively with it.

Here, time is measured in hours or greater, not a 3 minute song or part thereof.

This is very interesting. I'm wondering/ stating the obvious, that the HE60 will need to be paired with a respectable amp? With the HEV70 it doesn't hAve that sort of addictive effect? Which amps have you heard it with (assuming BHSE, KGSS)?

The cost of entry to electrostatics is really what's stopping/ delaying me.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #48 of 71
My take on the ones I've heard:

K1000
Soundstage reminds me of nearfield monitors. They seem to portray a little but well defined soundstage just in front of your eyes. There’s nothing quite like it in the headphone world, but I find the tonal balance to be complicated. Mids are forward and the whole presentation can sound harsh and dry on most systems. Also, despite the imaging capabilities, it's not as resolving as many modern offerings.

HE90
Best headphones I’ve ever heard, hands down. They sound like a window across which the music just flows beautifully. Incredibly detailed but euphonic. With the HeadAmp Aristaeus you also get an incredible bass performance: impact, weight, texture, it’s all there. Mids are wonderful. Treble can be a bit hot with some modern genres, though. Soundstage is diffuse but fantastic. They are one of the very few headphones which can provide you with an out-of-the-head experience.

HP1000
Just as natural as the Orpheus, but in a different way: the Orpheus portrays the music enhancing every nuance that makes it beautiful. It puts you in a gorgeous room where the music simply happens. The HP1000s sound analog, crude and raw. They show you the musicians tired playing on a dirty stage. If the HE90s show you a performance in an incredible Baroque concert hall, the Grados put you in a performance on a basement. Both sound like the real thing – though each with a different approach.

Ultrasone Edition 8
Weird, because they cost as much as some no-compromise flagships, but is a closed-back portable, which makes it a big compromise. To me it does sound very good, but it’s too energetic and can’t compete sound-wise with the best in its price class. It’s very luxurious though, and also comfortable. Kudos to S-Logic on these, which seem to work. They kind of give you an instrument separation that sounds slightly artificial, but really works. It’s like a 5.1 kind of separation.

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #49 of 71
Whoa, very cool thread here. It's gonna be a headache to put them all in first post I guess :p

Anyway, I believe that every "limited edition" headphone was design to be unique and special, that's why they have polarize sounding. People who love them will love them much and vice versa.

For my personal preference, I really love sound from my ATH AD1000PRM. As far as I know it's supposed to be limited for 1000 units only, but as they got release at the same time (and same event) with ATH ESW10JPN (which is limited for 1500 units), I also have an assumption that AD1000PRM also made for 1500 units. (Just like when they release ATH ESW11JPN and ATH W3000ANV, which each of them made for 2000 units).

Sound wise, AD1000PRM has very open sounding, very sweet smooth treble, forward and magical lush ala ATH, with very tight bass. The main point is the midrange, especially for female voice.
So I had a spare hour in the mall and guess what I did? These 11s are solid - so different from my milky as heaven 3000anvs but solid - especially considering it's size and portability I just realized there are so many limited audio techs, someone should do a impression comparison of them :)

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #50 of 71
That's interesting. I wasn't actually aware of the PS1. Seems like more hidden gems (or rather, I'm still learning) keep popping up. I'm really curious, what do you think of the HF1 in comparison to the HF2? There are a few of these (both 1& 2 being traded), also a couple of HP 1000s but that's another thing all together. 

I do not own a grado, as yet, and am plotting my purchase (lol).  

PS: Holy cow, $2,500 - $3,000 for a PS1? O.o. 

HF1 sound more gradoish, its brighter, more forward and narrow presentation.

Hf2 its a bit out of the box from grado line up, have warmer sound, more full body and relax vocal with bigger bass. (Its stil grado though, so dont expect to be warm and laidback like senn hd650)

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #51 of 71
I haven't heard many limited edition headphones, but I think that my Grado HP1000 are certainly close to the top of the list. They not only sound great, but they're also very soliidly built.

I also think that at $395, my recently aquired Grado Bushmills X are worth every penny. They sound very good, and I think that they look cool as hell.

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #52 of 71
So I had a spare hour in the mall and guess what I did? These 11s are solid - so different from my milky as heaven 3000anvs but solid - especially considering it's size and portability I just realized there are so many limited audio techs, someone should do a impression comparison of them :)

I will try compare my trifecta of 3000anv/esw10/esw11, but the overall sound of the esw11 keeps me using them over the other two.(!) Well rounded palpable mids with ultra deep bass and delicate trebles with absolutely zero sibilance no matter the source yet they remain suttle while the mids & bass steal the show.
Will be attaining other portables to compare but the esw11 amped are like full size can sound.

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #53 of 71
I will try compare my trifecta of 3000anv/esw10/esw11, but the overall sound of the esw11 keeps me using them over the other two.(!) Well rounded palpable mids with ultra deep bass and delicate trebles with absolutely zero sibilance no matter the source yet they remain suttle while the mids & bass steal the show.
Will be attaining other portables to compare but the esw11 amped are like full size can sound.
I'm going to pick it up the ESW11s later! I'd love to hear your impressions.

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #55 of 71
I hate the denon line of headphones unfortunately

And I'm surprised the esw11 isn't up there
actually it kinda is because I mixed up. The picture is the Esw11, and the description is the ESW10. I will fix that if u guys bear with me :)

Fixing up the thread once and for all now. Properly.

PPS: GL1TCH3D - I just picked up the ESW11LTDs. These are such awesome portables - and fantastic all rounders with a beautiful mid focus.

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #56 of 71
Took me a few hours but I cleaned up the OP =) 

ESW11LTDs, Stax Omegas, HD1000s and a few others are added, as well as a general clean up of the content everyone is posting. Look forward to hearing back from more of you guys - I'm sure there are many like me who just want to know about these precious limited edition/ production headphones. =) 

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #57 of 71
Oh, I see that I didn't talk about the W3000ANV! I had reviewed them after borrowing a pair for a month and ended up buying one. Either way, here are my brief impressions:

W3000ANV
Easily the most sweet and seductive means of listening to music I've ever heard. Rounded and impactful bass, luscious and euphonic mids and present but sweet, sweet highs. Consequently it's not the best choice for every genre out there, but to me it's a surprisingly capable all-rounder. The real magic comes with jazz, vocals and ambient electronic music, though.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #58 of 71
Jon-LF, I can't quote on my phone, but in ref to your FA-011 impressions, the LEs are much more refined and I prefer them to the DT770s I've heard, but not by miles.

When well-amped they are super-fun, but still very detailed. I heard them from my Fiio E12DIY the other day and was really impressed (again) at the details they retrieve, esp in the midrange.

Even though the LEs are better, I'm surprised to hear you found the stock 11s boomy and definitely recommend the stock pads. IMO they also benefit from some cloth over the inside grills (as per the LE design). The padding inside DT headphone pads is perfect.

Also, I had a chance to hear new LCD 2s the other day and can confirm that the LCDs are definitely a more refined sound. Staging is quite similar and bass quality goes to LCDs while quantity goes to LEs (by a small margin). I personally wasn't wowed by LCDs because I prefer the T1s I own and am happier owning T1s and LEs than LCD 2s and LEs / T1s. (Just saying this for context of my opinions, not saying which is a better headphone as they're all different)

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #59 of 71
Jon-LF, I can't quote on my phone, but in ref to your FA-011 impressions, the LEs are much more refined and I prefer them to the DT770s I've heard, but not by miles.

When well-amped they are super-fun, but still very detailed. I heard them from my Fiio E12DIY the other day and was really impressed (again) at the details they retrieve, esp in the midrange.

Even though the LEs are better, I'm surprised to hear you found the stock 11s boomy and definitely recommend the stock pads. IMO they also benefit from some cloth over the inside grills (as per the LE design). The padding inside DT headphone pads is perfect.

Also, I had a chance to hear new LCD 2s the other day and can confirm that the LCDs are definitely a more refined sound. Staging is quite similar and bass quality goes to LCDs while quantity goes to LEs (by a small margin). I personally wasn't wowed by LCDs because I prefer the T1s I own and am happier owning T1s and LEs than LCD 2s and LEs / T1s. (Just saying this for context of my opinions, not saying which is a better headphone as they're all different)
I definitely think it was the pads. It was a significant improvement on the sound when I switched pads from the FA003 pads to the original ones. I'm still coming to terms with the sound for me. Will report back for sure.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #60 of 71

I haven't heard many limited edition headphones, but I think that my Grado HP1000 are certainly close to the top of the list. They not only sound great, but they're also very soliidly built.

I also think that at $395, my recently aquired Grado Bushmills X are worth every penny. They sound very good, and I think that they look cool as hell.

I've every confidence the HP1000s sound fantastic. You are truly fortunate to own one, but it's unfortunately out of my reach at the moment for the prices currently being asked on headfi. I suspect it's too high as well, as the 2 units for sale here have been up for almost 2 months with no takers. 

I've not added the Bushmills because I'm not sure if they are limited edition, or if they will continue to make more runs. They should keep it LE, I feel. Would you like to provide impressions? 

I may have a HF1 on the way, just to get my feet Grado wet. 

Quote:
  I haven't heard the SR-009. I plan to compare the two at the SF Bay meet but I am 99% certain I will keep the Omegas, possibly forever. I have other pairs of "great" headphones like the LCD2.2 sitting on my desk right now that see no serious head time because they are simply in leagues far apart, and this is out of the fairly modest SRM-323S.

I don't consider the HE60 far behind the SR-007/Mk2. It certainly sounds like nothing else, but the HE60 isn't actually all that rare. Just short of 2000 were produced and I've seen more HE60s trade hands in the past year or two than quite a few other headphones of comparable rarity but less apparent value (e.g. earlier Audio Technica limited woodies).

The HF-1 didn't have an analogue -- nothing in the Grado catalogue was made in the same way. The PS500 is quite clearly analogous to the HF-2 with the mahogany cup and aluminum housing.

In my opinion the headphones that will withstand the test of time as collector's pieces will have no available analogues, trade hands very rarely (not necessarily be of small production numbers), and/or represent audio history. In my mind this includes the HE90, SR-Omega, MDR-R10 as meeting all three requirements --- given that at least two of these three are fragile, well-maintained examples will be priceless. Surprisingly the older Audio-Technicas also fall into some high desirability -- I can count the number of times I've seen limited woodies (save the W3000ANV) in the past two years on one or two hands, and that's across all models.

I confirmed a Grado HF1 today, just waiting on seller's revert. I'm a collector first as much as an Audiophile, that is for certain. I've been paying some attention to the Audio-Technicas since we last had this discussion. I've seen an L3000 and a ESW10JPN get sold in under 24 hours. Amazing. 

I reckon that will be the case with the more current AT LEs (3000ANVs, 11Ltds) once they become unavailable new. 

I've also done some digging on the Beyer 770 LEs (32 OHM), it's interesting to note that while it sounds different to the standard (32 OHM), I can't imagine there to be much of a difference, and I reckon it's largely pad based. I've noticed they also released at least 2 other 770LEs (32 OHM), one with only 10 pairs, the other 250 (from a light festival - it's bling bling gold). 

While still a collectors item, I'm hopeful that more companies come forward with Polarizing LEs, true limited editions which some will like and some will hate, unique sound that has no analog as you say. AT has done a brilliant job with this though they lost their way a bit with the 900 line for a while. Change in color does not equate to an LE worth collecting to me (and many others) as the sound signature has to change too. 

I'd love to see Beyer come forward to a Beyer T1-LE, a Sennheiser HE 120/ HD 800 LE, an LCD LE, an AKG LE, and a Hifi Man LE. 

PS: Added Smeggy's Thunderpants into the list for various reasons. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back