Best Limited Edition Headphones
Jan 15, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #31 of 71
  Just curious, how do the Fischer LEs stack up to the top of the line LCDs? I just ordered a non LE version (haha - these look so beautiful), what are your impressions of the LEs VS the non LEs? 

I haven't spent any time with the LCDs to provide clear comparisons, but I think they're quite different from everything I've read. The LEs will definitely have more treble energy than the LCDs and I wouldn't describe the LEs as liquid. They're really dynamic and punchy with great detail retrieval, but I don't know that they are on quite the same level as LCDs based on what I've read. Having said that, the LEs are also around half the price (or maybe a bit less) than the LCDs and provide incredible bass, great detail and a nicely balanced sound given their slight bass emphasis (i.e. they are not a truly natural sounding can, but still manage to not sound dark or boomy, just natural with a bit of extra bass that stays out of the way of everything else).

In terms of comparisons, there is no doubt that the FA-011s and FA-011LEs are related. If you listen to both from an average source they sound very similar, but the LEs continue to scale up with better equipment well after the standard version runs out of improvements. To my ears, the LEs are a slightly more polite, but no less exciting and fun headphone when compared with the standard version. For their price, I think they're a no brainer addition to any collection and they displaced my HD650s and still regularly get head time instead of my overall favourite T1s.

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #32 of 71
  Just curious, how do the Fischer LEs stack up to the top of the line LCDs? I just ordered a non LE version (haha - these look so beautiful), what are your impressions of the LEs VS the non LEs? 

I also own both the LE and standard version but unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure to listen to the LCDs. My impressions of the LE vs non LE pretty much line up with Loquahs. The LEs are slightly smoother but with lots of detail and the non LEs can have a little harsh treble for some ears. The bass is also more controlled on the LE and personally I think they have very slightly bigger soundstage. The differences aren't huge but what the non LE does well the LE just does a little better. I would need get better equipment to see how far the LEs can truly fly but from own limited experience, they both really like tube amps. They definetily class as "fun" headphones and I find myself very often drumming along to the music. Oh, and while the new wooden standard version looks great, the LEs are just sexy.
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #33 of 71
Err I don't think D7000 is limited edition headphone, that will be way too many to calculate 
tongue.gif

As for ATH ESW10, as far as I know (well, as I read in so many places), it's limited for 1000 unit in Japan and 500 unit worldwide, make them total 1500 unit limited.

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #34 of 71
I've owned the DT 770 LE, HF-2, D7000, W3000ANV, and HE60.

I thought the DT 770 LE were appalling. The DT 770-32 now exists, which makes the LE pretty pointless.

The HF-2 were pretty good, but the PS500 makes the HF-2 less desirable.

The D7000 were good, but nothing special.

The W3000ANV were quite special, but maybe overpriced for the level of quality provided.

The HE60 were spectacular.

I now own the SR-Omega and have fond memories of the MDR-R10, and consider these to be a level apart from the other headphones (HE90 notwithstanding).

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #35 of 71
I loved my ESW10 Jpn but I couldn't find them anymore after I moved houses a couple of years ago....
frown.gif

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #36 of 71
  I loved my ESW10 Jpn but I couldn't find them anymore after I moved houses a couple of years ago....
frown.gif

Ouch, that would be a regretful (and expensive) loss.

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #37 of 71

I thought the DT 770 LE were appalling. The DT 770-32 now exists, which makes the LE pretty pointless.

The W3000ANV were quite special, but maybe overpriced for the level of quality provided.

I now own the SR-Omega and have fond memories of the MDR-R10, and consider these to be a level apart from the other headphones (HE90 notwithstanding).

Well, DT770LE has slight different sound compare to regular 770/32, so the LE is still special.

For me HF2>PS500, ymmv of course

W3000 has very unique "honey alike" vocal, and for me that's the point of limited edition: unique sound

agree with the rest 
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #38 of 71
I'm starting to wonder what I got myself into creating this thread. So much information to compile, and I'll need a whole day to comple various impressions accurately. It's fantastic really hearing different people comment on different things. 

I've just added the Stax 404 LE, a proper limited edition which I'm trying to add to my collection. Don't know too much about it as yet. I've also picked up a new Fischer Audio headphone (the non LE), as well as a Smyth Realiser - which is on the way to me from the states to Asia. 

It'll be interesting seeing how it adds a dimension to the mix. I'll keep trying my best to update the original post, which is dated, I know and I'll try to clear some time to do so. 

Few thoughts I have for the kind contributors/readers of this thread:

Quote:

I haven't spent any time with the LCDs to provide clear comparisons, but I think they're quite different from everything I've read. The LEs will definitely have more treble energy than the LCDs and I wouldn't describe the LEs as liquid. They're really dynamic and punchy with great detail retrieval, but I don't know that they are on quite the same level as LCDs based on what I've read. Having said that, the LEs are also around half the price (or maybe a bit less) than the LCDs and provide incredible bass, great detail and a nicely balanced sound given their slight bass emphasis (i.e. they are not a truly natural sounding can, but still manage to not sound dark or boomy, just natural with a bit of extra bass that stays out of the way of everything else).

In terms of comparisons, there is no doubt that the FA-011s and FA-011LEs are related. If you listen to both from an average source they sound very similar, but the LEs continue to scale up with better equipment well after the standard version runs out of improvements. To my ears, the LEs are a slightly more polite, but no less exciting and fun headphone when compared with the standard version. For their price, I think they're a no brainer addition to any collection and they displaced my HD650s and still regularly get head time instead of my overall favourite T1s.

I've just received my FA-011s, non LE. It isn't bad for the price, but I'm afraid I have been spoiled. The Beyer 770 actually outclasses it in every way, even bass - wherein I find more controlled, and less boomy. This is of course to my ears and how I feel. It is also not representative of the LE version which seems to be much better and I hope to someday try. 

My FA-11s are also fitted with FA-03 pads, and that maybe affecting the signature. I'll have a go at switching pads and reverting back.The non LEs are definitely the most boomy headphones in my collection, but I suppose it is what it is, and it could appeal to some (?). 

The Stax Omega seems to be in my "wish list" and I hope to someday own them. How does it compare to the Stax 009 and the Lambadas? 

I keep hearing people say the HE60 are "fantastic/ spectacular/ amazing" - but it would be interesting hearing how they compare to the other electrostats, and top level planars and dynamics. I personally feel they have more "collectors value" - but that's me, being a half audiophile/ half collector. 

Interesting thoughts on the HF2 comparison with the PS500. Do you consider them to have similar sound signatures? Again, I'd love to own one, but it would be from a more collectors point of view than actual sonics (based on what I'm hearing). 

Well, DT770LE has slight different sound compare to regular 770/32, so the LE is still special.

For me HF2>PS500, ymmv of course

W3000 has very unique "honey alike" vocal, and for me that's the point of limited edition: unique sound

agree with the rest 
wink.gif

I own the DT770 LEs, and have not heard the other versions of the 770s. Comparing them to other similarly priced headphones, they blow them away, and they are actually in my main setup at work. They can't compare/ measure up to a Fostex 900,Senn HD 700 or 3000 ANV, but I'm being unfair, those are top flight headphones for their brands. The bass is lose and uncontrolled in comparison, but when I compare them to my Fischers, they own them in all ways, all genres. They sound really good out of my Fiio X3 for what they are.

Love my 3000 Anvs - and we both agree on that. 

Love to hear more about why you think the HF2 owns the PS500. I'd like to eventually own a grado, but it's not high on the list right now. I'll go Stax first, I reckon - and come back to dynamics.   

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #39 of 71
The Stax Omega seems to be in my "wish list" and I hope to someday own them. How does it compare to the Stax 009 and the Lambadas? 

I keep hearing people say the HE60 are "fantastic/ spectacular/ amazing" - but it would be interesting hearing how they compare to the other electrostats, and top level planars and dynamics. I personally feel they have more "collectors value" - but that's me, being a half audiophile/ half collector. 

Interesting thoughts on the HF2 comparison with the PS500. Do you consider them to have similar sound signatures? Again, I'd love to own one, but it would be from a more collectors point of view than actual sonics (based on what I'm hearing). 

I haven't heard the SR-009. I plan to compare the two at the SF Bay meet but I am 99% certain I will keep the Omegas, possibly forever. I have other pairs of "great" headphones like the LCD2.2 sitting on my desk right now that see no serious head time because they are simply in leagues far apart, and this is out of the fairly modest SRM-323S.

I don't consider the HE60 far behind the SR-007/Mk2. It certainly sounds like nothing else, but the HE60 isn't actually all that rare. Just short of 2000 were produced and I've seen more HE60s trade hands in the past year or two than quite a few other headphones of comparable rarity but less apparent value (e.g. earlier Audio Technica limited woodies).

The HF-1 didn't have an analogue -- nothing in the Grado catalogue was made in the same way. The PS500 is quite clearly analogous to the HF-2 with the mahogany cup and aluminum housing.

In my opinion the headphones that will withstand the test of time as collector's pieces will have no available analogues, trade hands very rarely (not necessarily be of small production numbers), and/or represent audio history. In my mind this includes the HE90, SR-Omega, MDR-R10 as meeting all three requirements --- given that at least two of these three are fragile, well-maintained examples will be priceless. Surprisingly the older Audio-Technicas also fall into some high desirability -- I can count the number of times I've seen limited woodies (save the W3000ANV) in the past two years on one or two hands, and that's across all models.

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #40 of 71
  I haven't heard the SR-009. I plan to compare the two at the SF Bay meet but I am 99% certain I will keep the Omegas, possibly forever. I have other pairs of "great" headphones like the LCD2.2 sitting on my desk right now that see no serious head time because they are simply in leagues far apart, and this is out of the fairly modest SRM-323S.

I don't consider the HE60 far behind the SR-007/Mk2. It certainly sounds like nothing else, but the HE60 isn't actually all that rare. Just short of 2000 were produced and I've seen more HE60s trade hands in the past year or two than quite a few other headphones of comparable rarity but less apparent value (e.g. earlier Audio Technica limited woodies).

The HF-1 didn't have an analogue -- nothing in the Grado catalogue was made in the same way. The PS500 is quite clearly analogous to the HF-2 with the mahogany cup and aluminum housing.

In my opinion the headphones that will withstand the test of time as collector's pieces will have no available analogues, trade hands very rarely (not necessarily be of small production numbers), and/or represent audio history. In my mind this includes the HE90, SR-Omega, MDR-R10 as meeting all three requirements --- given that at least two of these three are fragile, well-maintained examples will be priceless. Surprisingly the older Audio-Technicas also fall into some high desirability -- I can count the number of times I've seen limited woodies (save the W3000ANV) in the past two years on one or two hands, and that's across all models.

Thanks for the very interesting post. 

Do permit me to try to dissect/ explore what you just said? 

"I don't consider the HE60 far behind the SR-007/Mk2. It certainly sounds like nothing else" 

What does this exactly mean? "Sound like nothing else" - is it even different/ good in it's own way from the legendary He90? 

It's interesting what you are saying of the Omega's vs the LCDs. I'm sure the LCDs have some merits - if you could share your thought of the pros & con's of that particular comparison, I'd be delighted to hear about it =) 

Interesting opinion on the "test of time theory". May I ask what an "analog" is? Interesting thoughts indeed, and thank you for your contribution. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #41 of 71
About HF2 and PS500, sound wise I think HF2 has better control through all spectrum, but I realize that it's really depend on each people preference. For people who craving for bass impact better to chose the PS500.

But when we talk about the collector item, I think HF2 is indeed special, yes it's true that HF2 and PS500 is a bit similiar, but when we look closely there're some significant different in term of collector item:
1. HF2 using aluminium housing that very-very similiar to the legendary Grado PS1 (super limited edition as well), which is better aluminium finishing than what PS500 use.
2. In HF2's box you get an original hand writing signature from John Grado him self, which is really incerease the collector factor

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #42 of 71

Thanks for the very interesting post. 

Do permit me to try to dissect/ explore what you just said? 

"I don't consider the HE60 far behind the SR-007/Mk2. It certainly sounds like nothing else" 

What does this exactly mean? "Sound like nothing else" - is it even different/ good in it's own way from the legendary He90? 

It's interesting what you are saying of the Omega's vs the LCDs. I'm sure the LCDs have some merits - if you could share your thought of the pros & con's of that particular comparison, I'd be delighted to hear about it =) 

Interesting opinion on the "test of time theory". May I ask what an "analog" is? Interesting thoughts indeed, and thank you for your contribution. 

I haven't compared the HE60 to the HE90, though most opinions seem to discuss the two being completely different.

In all my discussions with fellow HE60 (ex-)owners, the key word was "addicting". I sold my pair to a gentleman who also owns the SR-007, SR-009 and HE-6 and he still loves the HE60. It's difficult to put into words without listening to them first-hand.

My main reason for obtaining the LCD-2.2 was an extended experience with them at my own leisure. In my opinion they do not approach the Omega in any capacity of performance, even in their much-lauded bass (though they are very well-built and surprisingly comfortable). I would be so bold as to say that the Omega invites no comparison from any headphone I have ever owned -- the level of resolution and transparency simply cannot be approached. Swapping from my JH13s or LCD2.2s to them yields a "wow" experience.

An analogue would simply be an in-production counterpart that is exceedingly similar to the limited product in construction/design and sound. Examples include the K702-65th Anniversary and the K712, DT 770 Anniversary and the DT 770-32, and Grado HF-2 and PS500. The latter of each pairing has consistently made the former significantly less valuable or desirable.

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #43 of 71
  About HF2 and PS500, sound wise I think HF2 has better control through all spectrum, but I realize that it's really depend on each people preference. For people who craving for bass impact better to chose the PS500.

But when we talk about the collector item, I think HF2 is indeed special, yes it's true that HF2 and PS500 is a bit similiar, but when we look closely there're some significant different in term of collector item:
1. HF2 using aluminium housing that very-very similiar to the legendary Grado PS1 (super limited edition as well), which is better aluminium finishing than what PS500 use.
2. In HF2's box you get an original hand writing signature from John Grado him self, which is really incerease the collector factor

That's interesting. I wasn't actually aware of the PS1. Seems like more hidden gems (or rather, I'm still learning) keep popping up. I'm really curious, what do you think of the HF1 in comparison to the HF2? There are a few of these (both 1& 2 being traded), also a couple of HP 1000s but that's another thing all together. 

I do not own a grado, as yet, and am plotting my purchase (lol).  

PS: Holy cow, $2,500 - $3,000 for a PS1? O.o. 

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #44 of 71
  I haven't compared the HE60 to the HE90, though most opinions seem to discuss the two being completely different.

In all my discussions with fellow HE60 (ex-)owners, the key word was "addicting". I sold my pair to a gentleman who also owns the SR-007, SR-009 and HE-6 and he still loves the HE60. It's difficult to put into words without listening to them first-hand.

My main reason for obtaining the LCD-2.2 was an extended experience with them at my own leisure. In my opinion they do not approach the Omega in any capacity of performance, even in their much-lauded bass (though they are very well-built and surprisingly comfortable). I would be so bold as to say that the Omega invites no comparison from any headphone I have ever owned -- the level of resolution and transparency simply cannot be approached. Swapping from my JH13s or LCD2.2s to them yields a "wow" experience.

An analogue would simply be an in-production counterpart that is exceedingly similar to the limited product in construction/design and sound. Examples include the K702-65th Anniversary and the K712, DT 770 Anniversary and the DT 770-32, and Grado HF-2 and PS500. The latter of each pairing has consistently made the former significantly less valuable or desirable.

Fantastic articulation my friend. Thank you for putting them down.

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #45 of 71
Quote:3XO
 In all my discussions with fellow HE60 (ex-)owners, the key word was "addicting".

Very true.
Although I believe the SR007 Mk1 to be better in terms of musicality, the HE60 has me going back to see what the music sounds like through them.

I really need to pack the HE60's away and listen to 2 to 3 songs on the SR007's to hear the mellifluous nature they have after listening to the HE60's.

If it was a straight comparison of the 2 headphones, one after the other, the HE60 would win.

This is one reason why the real test of a headphone is to live with it for a while without swapping to another.

Spend time exclusively with one phone, grab the next one and spend some time exclusively with it.

Here, time is measured in hours or greater, not a 3 minute song or part thereof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back