Best Limited Edition Headphones
Jan 13, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #17 of 71

Please don't hate me for saying this - and I'm only asking because I'm curious about the product. There are some who say you can't get true soundstage with headphones anyway, without something like the Symth Realiser. Have you tried it, and what do you think the difference is between "high quality speaker simulation" and high end headphones with traditional amp/dacs? 

Oh no. I am just simply saying to each there own. There are a lot of people who do not agree with me, and they sometimes cause flame wars, so I like to be preemptive and just make sure everyone knows that it is only my opinion and not fact. That's all 
wink.gif

Well I have not tried the software. So I can not comment. I am always pretty skeptical about magic software, but I am not too narrow minded to give it a shot. I will report back. 

Side note: Sennheiser HE60s for the win. Super comfy and light, lots of great bass potential (I heard them on the BHSE), super clear highs and mids without ANY harshness, and they have a nice big sound stage. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #18 of 71
I find my HE60's very addictive, but I unhesitatingly say that the Stax SR007 MkII is a better headphone.
If you do a straight comparison by switching straight from one to the other, the HE60 wins.

If you pack the HE60 away and let your ears adjust by playing 2 or 3 tracks to let your ears adjust, the sheer melifluosity of the Stax comes through in spades.

I still maintain that the HE90 is the BEST headphone I have ever heard.

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #19 of 71
Such a cool thread, great to see everyone contributing and posting their impressions on the various headphones.

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #20 of 71
Two more to add to the list possibly?

The Sennheiser HD1000 Charleston:  Seems rare as heck and really love the look.  Have yet to run into anyone who can tell me what they sound like.

The Grado X Bushmills:  No idea how many were made.  Grado house sound with more bass in a vented back design.

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #21 of 71
W3k isn't designed for clarity or soundstage, it's all about the mids. I listen to every genre of music minus non-vocals (for the moment) and metal and vastly prefer my r1 LCD2 on 90% of what I listen too, but ohhh man the 10% that goes to the w3k is miles ahead of any comparable headphone I've tried. If you can listen to Lana Del Ray on them and stay unimpressed then I'm impressed.

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #22 of 71
Whoa, very cool thread here. It's gonna be a headache to put them all in first post I guess 
tongue.gif

Anyway, I believe that every "limited edition" headphone was design to be unique and special, that's why they have polarize sounding. People who love them will love them much and vice versa.

For my personal preference, I really love sound from my ATH AD1000PRM. As far as I know it's supposed to be limited for 1000 units only, but as they got release at the same time (and same event) with ATH ESW10JPN (which is limited for 1500 units), I also have an assumption that AD1000PRM also made for 1500 units. (Just like when they release ATH ESW11JPN and ATH W3000ANV, which each of them made for 2000 units).

Sound wise, AD1000PRM has very open sounding, very sweet smooth treble, forward and magical lush ala ATH, with very tight bass. The main point is the midrange, especially for female voice.

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #23 of 71
The ESW10 Jpn are very good, once burned in. They take many hours but open up and have a nice frequency range. I had mine rewired mine with Whiplash gold plate silver. These were limited to 1000. 

The Fostex TH900 are numbered and I was told limited. They also open up very nice, providing good layering, dynamics and speed. These have also been rewired with Whiplash gold plated silver. There was a little bit of a bass hump but that seems to be rectified with the cable change. They also sound very good balanced. 

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #24 of 71
Thanks guys, doing my best here. I'm trying to clear up a couple of hours to get in front of my computer to post images and impressions. Do bear with me and keep them coming!

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #25 of 71
The Grado HF2, are a Grado. There isn't as much layering, the separation and depth of separation of instruments and voices but I find them very enjoyable and the better the amplification, the better they sound. 

Ultrasone Ed. 9 are were limited. Some like Ultrasone, some don't. They are not as open sounding as the TH900 or quite as "airy" but I still think they deliver a soundscape that swell separated and a quality listen. I think they were limited to 1100. I have 1010. 

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #26 of 71
I've listened to the Senn HE90 a few years ago in Chicago (it was Ray Samuels personal set at ChiUnifi) and I've also heard the Jade Electrostats. From my recollection the Orpheus HE90 had some of the smoothest and luscious mids I've ever heard on any headphone or speakers. Like a level 9,000 Super Saiyan HD 650. It's extremely intimate sound, and the bass was heavenly. Soundstage was good, but felt a little more closed in. Vocals were very forward sounding (and super detailed).

On the other hand the Jade sounded more spacious, extremely clear with very good instrument separation. Unfortunately, my first impression though was that it felt extremely fragile in my hands. I was almost afraid it would break! The headband was very flimsy and the cups looked like they could crack easily. But the sound was very, very nice running on a Moth(I believe?) amp...more open sounding than Orpheus, bass was not as lush or deep but mids were nearly on par, and had a tad more sparkle in the treble that the HE 90. All in all, the Jade definitely held its own considering the huge difference in price. Hope this helps!

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #27 of 71
Big props to everyone for posting their impressions. I truly believe all of them are subjective, and I'll do what I can to gather the information required to update the thread.

Quote:
Ive read the dennon 7000 sounds alot like the new fostex th600..
I have the w3000 & it does have that uphoric sweetness but I have to press the cups against my small head to get that bass seal..
The esw10 is a can I will bury in my coffin before letting go as its also has a maijic in its mids that leaves an impression of certainty in the mind and you just know it sounds right.
But I hide it in my bedroom as the wood finish is just tooo precious..
I use my larger sounding esw11 every day and those are glued to my head & also destined to my coffin on my head when I die as they have so palpable mids..
I have an Ultrasone pro900 now that can murder your ears with nastyness I would not put on my worst enemy's head!
As for best can regardless of anything I would say hd800 & stax...

Loose cups have been known to be the issue with the w3000s if you have a "narrower" head. I don't personally have that issue. How does the ESW11 compare to the w3000s (which isn't the same as the ath 3000 anvs). 

Fischer FA-011 LEs have a nicely balanced sound with a little extra bass. To me they're on par with other $400 headphones like the HD6x0, but more fun and exciting.

Excellent detail, great bass and good imaging despite an average stage size.

Just curious, how do the Fischer LEs stack up to the top of the line LCDs? I just ordered a non LE version (haha - these look so beautiful), what are your impressions of the LEs VS the non LEs? 

Oh no. I am just simply saying to each there own. There are a lot of people who do not agree with me, and they sometimes cause flame wars, so I like to be preemptive and just make sure everyone knows that it is only my opinion and not fact. That's all 
wink.gif

Well I have not tried the software. So I can not comment. I am always pretty skeptical about magic software, but I am not too narrow minded to give it a shot. I will report back. 

Side note: Sennheiser HE60s for the win. Super comfy and light, lots of great bass potential (I heard them on the BHSE), super clear highs and mids without ANY harshness, and they have a nice big sound stage. 

I'm seriously considering picking up a Smyth.. I wonder how it'll sound with different headphones. I'm also wondering if I actually prefer "sound in head", headphone sound. There is a good chance I do. 

Cheers on the HE60 impressions, how does it compare to the STAX 009s/ 007s to your ears? 

I find my HE60's very addictive, but I unhesitatingly say that the Stax SR007 MkII is a better headphone.
If you do a straight comparison by switching straight from one to the other, the HE60 wins.

If you pack the HE60 away and let your ears adjust by playing 2 or 3 tracks to let your ears adjust, the sheer melifluosity of the Stax comes through in spades.

I still maintain that the HE90 is the BEST headphone I have ever heard.

Interesting. Could you provide your comparisons of the HE90 and Stax 009/007? If you might? Thanks so much. 

Two more to add to the list possibly?

The Sennheiser HD1000 Charleston:  Seems rare as heck and really love the look.  Have yet to run into anyone who can tell me what they sound like.

The Grado X Bushmills:  No idea how many were made.  Grado house sound with more bass in a vented back design.

I've heard about the HD1000s, general feedback is they are great lookers, but sound rather bad. I'll add it to the list, and we hope perhaps some owners would come forward. 

W3k isn't designed for clarity or soundstage, it's all about the mids. I listen to every genre of music minus non-vocals (for the moment) and metal and vastly prefer my r1 LCD2 on 90% of what I listen too, but ohhh man the 10% that goes to the w3k is miles ahead of any comparable headphone I've tried. If you can listen to Lana Del Ray on them and stay unimpressed then I'm impressed.

100% Agree. They are amazing at what they do best. I wouldn't recommend this as your "only headphone". But for that specific genre. They are so unique and out of this world. 

Whoa, very cool thread here. It's gonna be a headache to put them all in first post I guess 
tongue.gif

Anyway, I believe that every "limited edition" headphone was design to be unique and special, that's why they have polarize sounding. People who love them will love them much and vice versa.

For my personal preference, I really love sound from my ATH AD1000PRM. As far as I know it's supposed to be limited for 1000 units only, but as they got release at the same time (and same event) with ATH ESW10JPN (which is limited for 1500 units), I also have an assumption that AD1000PRM also made for 1500 units. (Just like when they release ATH ESW11JPN and ATH W3000ANV, which each of them made for 2000 units).

Sound wise, AD1000PRM has very open sounding, very sweet smooth treble, forward and magical lush ala ATH, with very tight bass. The main point is the midrange, especially for female voice.

Let me add these to the list. Thanks for sharing! 

The ESW10 Jpn are very good, once burned in. They take many hours but open up and have a nice frequency range. I had mine rewired mine with Whiplash gold plate silver. These were limited to 1000. 

The Fostex TH900 are numbered and I was told limited. They also open up very nice, providing good layering, dynamics and speed. These have also been rewired with Whiplash gold plated silver. There was a little bit of a bass hump but that seems to be rectified with the cable change. They also sound very good balanced. 

Another positive review for the ESW10JPN - I wonder how they compare to the 3000anvs. 

Love the Fostex 900. I prob shouldn't list them, because that will mean I'll need to list the HD800s, Stax 009, Beyer T1s, etc which are still in production and easily obtainable. 

The Grado HF2, are a Grado. There isn't as much layering, the separation and depth of separation of instruments and voices but I find them very enjoyable and the better the amplification, the better they sound. 

Ultrasone Ed. 9 are were limited. Some like Ultrasone, some don't. They are not as open sounding as the TH900 or quite as "airy" but I still think they deliver a soundscape that swell separated and a quality listen. I think they were limited to 1100. I have 1010. 

How does the HF2 compare to standard Grados? 

There seems to be quite a massive amound of Ultrasone Ltds. They receive quite polarizing reviews, why do you think this is the case?  

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #28 of 71
OP, you might want to add JVC HA-DX2000 as I didn't see on the list.

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #29 of 71
  I've listened to the Senn HE90 a few years ago in Chicago (it was Ray Samuels personal set at ChiUnifi) and I've also heard the Jade Electrostats. From my recollection the Orpheus HE90 had some of the smoothest and luscious mids I've ever heard on any headphone or speakers. Like a level 9,000 Super Saiyan HD 650. It's extremely intimate sound, and the bass was heavenly. Soundstage was good, but felt a little more closed in. Vocals were very forward sounding (and super detailed).

On the other hand the Jade sounded more spacious, extremely clear with very good instrument separation. Unfortunately, my first impression though was that it felt extremely fragile in my hands. I was almost afraid it would break! The headband was very flimsy and the cups looked like they could crack easily. But the sound was very, very nice running on a Moth(I believe?) amp...more open sounding than Orpheus, bass was not as lush or deep but mids were nearly on par, and had a tad more sparkle in the treble that the HE 90. All in all, the Jade definitely held its own considering the huge difference in price. Hope this helps!

Definitely helps in the compilation, I'll add your impressions in =) 

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #30 of 71
  OP, you might want to add JVC HA-DX2000 as I didn't see on the list.

Got it - what are your impressions of the HA-DX2000s? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back