Best IEM tips?
Apr 16, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #3,226 of 3,254
The Penon Liqueur Tips are a very interesting set of eartips.

Penon Liqueur.jpeg

The orange variant boosts sub-bass and improve bass texturing. Pretty unique pair in this regard and definitely a keeper to increase sub-bass in some IEMs.

The black ones are a bit airier in the treble than the orange Liqueur tips.

Apr 24, 2024 at 6:04 AM Post #3,231 of 3,254
The Spinfit CP500 are really worth having in your collection. They have a sound that is very airy and laid-back at the same time, which is not common. It's like a more open and impactful version of the Epro tips with a sightly more bland timbre. I find that they work really nice with the Moondrop Space Travel. They have a weird fit though because of the super soft material.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #3,232 of 3,254
I like the fiio hs19 kit. Been meaning to try spin fit. I don’t like foam tips. Everyone seems to like them, they may fit good but as far as sound I don’t hear it.

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #3,233 of 3,254
I like the fiio hs19 kit. Been meaning to try spin fit. I don’t like foam tips. Everyone seems to like them, they may fit good but as far as sound I don’t hear it.
My impression is the opposite. Seems like no one likes foam tips. I've been trying some out lately because I'm still chasing a better fit for my Symphonium Meteor. But, ick, foam tips don't feel right. They "seal," but not very securely. Feels like a limp, dry tongue sitting in my ear.

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #3,234 of 3,254
My impression is the opposite. Seems like no one likes foam tips. I've been trying some out lately because I'm still chasing a better fit for my Symphonium Meteor. But, ick, foam tips don't feel right. They "seal," but not very securely. Feels like a limp, dry tongue sitting in my ear.
I'm the opposite. For me, foam tips tend to grip better, shift less once in place, smooth out ear length resonances, block out more noise, and reduce the occlusion effect. The downsides are that they need to be replaced more often and they irritate the ear canals after extended use.

For anyone reading, my recommendations are Tripowin spiral grooves (or the generic AliExpress equivalent) and Moondrop MIS Tips.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #3,235 of 3,254
Ok, so I’m going to eat my words on foam tips. I tried a pair from my HS19 kit again. I wrote them off because they didn’t sound good on the planars I tried them on. I decided to try it on a different pair of planars and they blew away my silicons I had on them. Then tried different DD IEM and different pairs sounded good and some worse.

I’m new to the world of IEM, but never imagined how some can sound so different depending on IEM. Just like pad rolling. You really have to test them all and compare. Amazing how one planar sounded great with foam tips and the other terrible.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #3,236 of 3,254
Does anyone know who makes the fiio hs19 kit ? I can’t imagine fiio made them and figure they must be sourced. I like the foam tips in it and the black and red silicone.

It’s leading me to discover others.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #3,237 of 3,254
It’s leading me to discover others.

1714096332539.png

Do the above and fastrack the spending. :beyersmile:

1714096456153.png

Have this set for a while but recently renewed vows with these Symbios at my rig in the office. Whenever it itches, I just scratch my ear canal a little and put them back into place and that is all fine for another while.

Must say that what has been working for me was shallow insertions though. All foams itch the hell out of me on deeper insertions. :no_mouth:

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #3,238 of 3,254
There are many kinds of foam tips with different firmness and rebounding speed and shape. With all foam tips, I found that it is a must to compress the foams, put the IEMs into the right place (a bit into ear canals), and hold the IEM there a bit for the foam to expand. The foam has to be just right as well for maximum fit and comfort. I also need to turn up the volume a few % to compensate. However, when everything is done right, the comfort and isolation is excellent, the treble peaks are slightly smoothen, and few if any of the treble information is lost (speaking as a nitpick guy).

Yes, foam tips are annoying, especially if you have to constantly taking the IEMs off (e.g., busy office).

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #3,239 of 3,254
There are many kinds of foam tips with different firmness and rebounding speed and shape. With all foam tips, I found that it is a must to compress the foams, put the IEMs into the right place (a bit into ear canals), and hold the IEM there a bit for the foam to expand. The foam has to be just right as well for maximum fit and comfort. I also need to turn up the volume a few % to compensate. However, when everything is done right, the comfort and isolation is excellent, the treble peaks are slightly smoothen, and few if any of the treble information is lost (speaking as a nitpick guy).

Yes, foam tips are annoying, especially if you have to constantly taking the IEMs off (e.g., busy office).
Feel like I'm chasing my tail at this point trying to find a good fit. I've picked up nearly a dozen new tips, but none is quite working with the Meteor. The shallow and angled nozzle is a major b for my large ear canals. I love the sound of these things for the brief periods when I can get a good fit, but the rest of the time, I feel like a perverse IEM junkie, wearing down my ear holes to raw sandpaper looking for a fresh insertion angle/depth over and over and over again.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #3,240 of 3,254
Feel like I'm chasing my tail at this point trying to find a good fit. I've picked up nearly a dozen new tips, but none is quite working with the Meteor. The shallow and angled nozzle is a major b for my large ear canals. I love the sound of these things for the brief periods when I can get a good fit, but the rest of the time, I feel like a perverse IEM junkie, wearing down my ear holes to raw sandpaper looking for a fresh insertion angle/depth over and over and over again.
Have you tried using different ear tip sizes on each ear?

Another suggestion would be Azla Xelastec. They are slightly large than usual, and they are sticky so they can seal at a shallower depth. They do change the sound signature a bit, but I find that change works with Meteor. I also has good luck with Sancai Wide Bore tips.

I also had great success with Comply tips (the ones that look like balls).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back