Best IEM tips?
Apr 9, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #3,196 of 3,254
I've got the tip selection sorted for my first pair of IEMs (Kiwi Ears Orchestra Lite w/ 14mm Spinfit CP100). I'm now onto a new pair (Symphonium Meteor), but am having a really tough time figuring out the fit on this set. None of the tips and sizes I have are able to establish or maintain a seal.

Here's what I've tried so far:
Stock tips - all too small, including the foam tips
Spinfit CP100 (14mm) - seals well on my left, but not my right
Spinfit CP155 (13.3mm) - no seal
Spring Tip (14mm) - breaks seal after 10-15mins
Penon Liqueur (13.3 and 14mm) - same as CP100
Xelastec (14mm) - no seal
JVC Spiral Dots (14mm) - on order (Super* Review had luck with these on the Meteor)

I'm new enough to IEMs that I'm not sure where the issue lies. Is it a shallow or narrow nozzle that's causing problems? Do I just have an extremely weird or unusually large ear canal shape? Are there other tips or tip types that I should try next? Any mods or tweaks I can try that might expand the tips a bit?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #3,197 of 3,254
I've got the tip selection sorted for my first pair of IEMs (Kiwi Ears Orchestra Lite w/ 14mm Spinfit CP100). I'm now onto a new pair (Symphonium Meteor), but am having a really tough time figuring out the fit on this set. None of the tips and sizes I have are able to establish or maintain a seal.

Here's what I've tried so far:
Stock tips - all too small, including the foam tips
Spinfit CP100 (14mm) - seals well on my left, but not my right
Spinfit CP155 (13.3mm) - no seal
Spring Tip (14mm) - breaks seal after 10-15mins
Penon Liqueur (13.3 and 14mm) - same as CP100
Xelastec (14mm) - no seal
JVC Spiral Dots (14mm) - on order (Super* Review had luck with these on the Meteor)

I'm new enough to IEMs that I'm not sure where the issue lies. Is it a shallow or narrow nozzle that's causing problems? Do I just have an extremely weird or unusually large ear canal shape? Are there other tips or tip types that I should try next? Any mods or tweaks I can try that might expand the tips a bit?

I'm wondering if it would make sense to have different sized tips for your left and right. Maybe look into Divinus or Final tips?

Final type E size for LL is: LL = outer diameter 13.5mm?

Divinus Velvet L is at 14.2mm

Apr 9, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #3,198 of 3,254
I'm wondering if it would make sense to have different sized tips for your left and right. Maybe look into Divinus or Final tips?

Final type E size for LL is: LL = outer diameter 13.5mm?

Divinus Velvet L is at 14.2mm
Awesome. Yeah, I've tried mixing sizes, but the standard "large" (13.3mm) pretty much just slides right out of my ears. It's almost like my ears want a size above the usual "extra large" (14mm) size. If the Velvet tips are slightly bigger at 14.2mm, they may be the solution I'm looking for. The Final Type E might be too small for me.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #3,199 of 3,254
I'm now onto a new pair (Symphonium Meteor), but am having a really tough time figuring out the fit on this set. None of the tips and sizes I have are able to establish or maintain a seal.

On my meteor, in my ear canal, i prefer using divinus velvet medium in left ear and velvet medium large in right ear canal, Dunu S&S are also very good for this iem but I feel I can wear the velvets for longer as they are more comfortable but definitely Dunu S&S if want an unbreakable seal - the large in these is a very large fit due the constant width along the length.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #3,200 of 3,254
On my meteor, in my ear canal, i prefer using divinus velvet medium in left ear and velvet medium large in right ear canal, Dunu S&S are also very good for this iem but I feel I can wear the velvets for longer as they are more comfortable but definitely Dunu S&S if want an unbreakable seal - the large in these is a very large fit due the constant width along the length.
Cool. I think that clinches giving the Velvets a shot. I'll maybe try the Dunu tips since they look like they fit completely different to anything else. Might work out for my (apparently) funky ear canal shape.

In his Meteor review, Resolve mentioned that foam tips were the only way he could get a seal, but I have no idea where to start with foam tips. Also seems like a drag having to replace them every couple of months. Any recs for foams?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #3,201 of 3,254
Never liked foams at all, if you can’t get a seal with Dunu s&s then your only hope is bathroom mastic :wink: , they go from s to xl so if you have big ear canals I’d go large and extra large.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #3,202 of 3,254
Cool ..........

Something that might be worth considering that I discovered with a problematic set of IEM after much fussing with tips over several months.

Try rotating the IEM forward further than seems sensible rather than hold it at what seems like the right orientation. Might take a bit of trial and error and as mirror helps except you inevitably move in the wrong direction :relaxed:

I found that by doing that I can get a better sense of the IEM insertion and it gets the body better aligned with the outer ear so that it doesn't run into your outer ear before the tip is in as deep as it will go.

I found that the Divinus Velvet tip ended up working really well since they are smooth enough that they will slide in readily and you can really feel them inserting and can manipulate the IEM to follow your ear canal to get them in deep. After 5 or 10 minutes they seem to establish a stick to the ear that belies their smooth surface finish and easy insertion.

If course your ears are not mine and this might be a pointless post but it can't hurt to try. That little technique was a literal game changer for me with that IEM and it isn't an issue that I need to even think about with any other sets.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #3,203 of 3,254
Try rotating the IEM forward further than seems sensible rather than hold it at what seems like the right orientation. Might take a bit of trial and error and as mirror helps except you inevitably move in the wrong direction :relaxed:

Yeah, find your ear canal angle and in and twist up so they lock in place works for me, especially with the divinus velvet as they seem to slide easily, the dunu s&s aren’t fussy as long as find the ear canal angle, they have a gripper silicon so once they’re in place, they don’t move

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #3,204 of 3,254
My current tip collection... not many of them seal at all ):
IMG_20240410_121526725~2.jpg

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #3,205 of 3,254
My current tip collection... not many of them seal at all ):

They all look kinda small but I use large in any tip. Have you tried larger diameter tip? Perhaps ones with a more rounded/domed shape rather than more conical, perhaps firmer material, perhaps longer from back of stem to end of tip ??

If you aren’t getting a deep insertion you might need to try aligning the nozzle in your ear canal to really ease them in to the hilt. Alternatively you might need bigger tips if you are dealing with a shallow fit.

Divinus Velvet are a nice ear filling domed shape, are firm and come in more sizes than usual if I recall.

XELASTEC are domed and sticky and seal like a mofo but go out of shape which disturbs my aesthetic sensibilities.

Spinfit CP145 are longer fitting to possibly go in deeper.

Penon Liqueur are sticky and come in several sizes including massive if needed.

KBear 07 are good, work well on normal to deeper fits and are cheap.

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #3,206 of 3,254
They all look kinda small but I use large in any tip. Have you tried larger diameter tip? Perhaps ones with a more rounded/domed shape rather than more conical, perhaps firmer material, perhaps longer from back of stem to end of tip ??

If you aren’t getting a deep insertion you might need to try aligning the nozzle in your ear canal to really ease them in to the hilt. Alternatively you might need bigger tips if you are dealing with a shallow fit.

Divinus Velvet are a nice ear filling domed shape, are firm and come in more sizes than usual if I recall.

XELASTEC are domed and sticky and seal like a mofo but go out of shape which disturbs my aesthetic sensibilities.

Spinfit CP145 are longer fitting to possibly go in deeper.

Penon Liqueur are sticky and come in several sizes including massive if needed.

KBear 07 are good, work well on normal to deeper fits and are cheap.
I don't think i need bigger tips, I already tryed they don't go in my ears at all. Yes most of myt tips are small i maybe would need a litlle bigger i still have to check more of them out. The best seeling one currently is the tips that come with the Truthear zero red. I'll definitly tryout your recomendations! I already know most of the tips on the market. :)

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #3,207 of 3,254
I don't think i need bigger tips, I already tryed they don't go in my ears at all. Yes most of myt tips are small i maybe would need a litlle bigger i still have to check more of them out. The best seeling one currently is the tips that come with the Truthear zero red. I'll definitly tryout your recomendations! I already know most of the tips on the market. :)

Good luck.

It is a PIA messing with tips just to get a functional fit, been there just recently.

Apr 10, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #3,208 of 3,254
Something that might be worth considering that I discovered with a problematic set of IEM after much fussing with tips over several months.

I found that by doing that I can get a better sense of the IEM insertion and it gets the body better aligned with the outer ear so that it doesn't run into your outer ear before the tip is in as deep as it will go.

I found that the Divinus Velvet tip ended up working really well since they are smooth enough that they will slide in readily and you can really feel them inserting and can manipulate the IEM to follow your ear canal to get them in deep. After 5 or 10 minutes they seem to establish a stick to the ear that belies their smooth surface finish and easy insertion.

If course your ears are not mine and this might be a pointless post but it can't hurt to try. That little technique was a literal game changer for me with that IEM and it isn't an issue that I need to even think about with any other sets.
I started experimenting with different insertion methods using a mirror. Surprisingly helps. Best method was to detach the cable from the IEM and just try a bunch of different "screw" approaches without worrying about the ear hook or connector. Based on these experiments, I'm guessing that the fundamental issue I'm having with the Meteor is a combination of a shallow fit and the slightly upturned nozzle. Angle matters a lot more than I would have guessed.

Still not a great fit, but it is better. And it's much more comfortable. I'm hoping better fitting tips will get me the rest of the way. Thanks for the suggestion.

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #3,210 of 3,254
I had a very similar problem, and I actually found the best fit using the tips that came with them, but I used a small o-ring as a spacer so that the tip didn't slide all the way to the base, allowing it to sort of be longer, providing a deeper fit.

One pic is with the tip inverted just so you can get a better look:

Attachments

• tempImagejOS5zc.png
    tempImagejOS5zc.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImagett53my.png
    tempImagett53my.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back