Best IEM tips?
Apr 10, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #3,211 of 3,252
I started experimenting with different insertion methods using a mirror. Surprisingly helps. Best method was to detach the cable from the IEM and just try a bunch of different "screw" approaches without worrying about the ear hook or connector. Based on these experiments, I'm guessing that the fundamental issue I'm having with the Meteor is a combination of a shallow fit and the slightly upturned nozzle. Angle matters a lot more than I would have guessed.

Still not a great fit, but it is better. And it's much more comfortable. I'm hoping better fitting tips will get me the rest of the way. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cool.

The spacer trick above might help also.

I do that with my IE600 to help with the shallow fit. Even just pushing the tip out along the nozzle by a couple of millimeters makes a surprising difference.

I cut spacers from the stem of some tips that were to small for me.

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #3,212 of 3,252
Sennheiser IE pro silicone and Epro EP01 work well for that with my OG timeless. Favorite tips so far.
Yeah Spiral Dots helped but I'm trying to get my hands on the Epro but it's hard to find since it's not on Amazon lol

Apr 10, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #3,213 of 3,252
Yeah Spiral Dots helped but I'm trying to get my hands on the Epro but it's hard to find since it's not on Amazon lol
The Epros are even better if you manage to get a good fit. They're famous for taming the highs. I like the Sennheiser too because they're as comfy as the Spiral dots and have a smoother tonality and timbre (probably because they have an additional foam filter inside).

Apr 13, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #3,214 of 3,252
Cool.

The spacer trick above might help also.

I do that with my IE600 to help with the shallow fit. Even just pushing the tip out along the nozzle by a couple of millimeters makes a surprising difference.

I cut spacers from the stem of some tips that were to small for me.
My Divinus Velvet tips arrived today. Tried them and they (very smoothly!) fell right out of my ear. And that's with the largest size (14.2mm).

But... tried following your lead with slicing a thin ring from some small stock tips. Worked a charm! I'm now revisiting some of my other tips to see if those are improved as well. My only reservation now is that it's very hard to get an even slice, so the "ring" is a bit uneven. I'll either try using an o-ring or see if I can't get a more exact cut somehow. I'm open to suggestions!

Apr 13, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #3,215 of 3,252
My Divinus Velvet tips arrived today. Tried them and they (very smoothly!) fell right out of my ear. And that's with the largest size (14.2mm).

But... tried following your lead with slicing a thin ring from some small stock tips. Worked a charm! I'm now revisiting some of my other tips to see if those are improved as well. My only reservation now is that it's very hard to get an even slice, so the "ring" is a bit uneven. I'll either try using an o-ring or see if I can't get a more exact cut somehow. I'm open to suggestions!

Great to gear that helped.

Yes getting a clean cut isn’t easy.

I cut the entire stem off so I am not working around the domed part. Lay the stem on a cutting surface and put a steel ruler across the stem pressing it flat with the piece you want as the spacer sticking out past the ruler. Adjust the ruler and stem so the stem sits flat and isn’t pulled out of shape. I then get a very sharp craft knife with the blade extended so the handle clears the work and cut the spacer using the edge of the steel ruler as the guide.

If you can find O rings that are the right size that would probably be easier but I found with a little care and some practice on tips that are no use to me anyway I can get nicely cut uniform spacers that can be cut from stems of a colour that matches to suit the application and aesthetic.

I am anal retentive about stuff and this approach works for me 😂

Another suggestion, I don’t recall if it was mentioned earlier. If the 14.2mm is still small you could try the Penon Liqueur in XL which are 15.5mm and sticky so should seal like a MOFO for you. They come in black and orange which are supposed to be subtly different but I don’t believe they are and they are cheap at $10 for three pairs.

Apr 13, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #3,216 of 3,252
Another suggestion, I don’t recall if it was mentioned earlier. If the 14.2mm is still small you could try the Penon Liqueur in XL which are 15.5mm and sticky so should seal like a MOFO for you. They come in black and orange which are supposed to be subtly different but I don’t believe they are and they are cheap at $10 for three pairs.
Unfortunately, I tried the Liqueur tips already, and same issues as every other tip I've tried. I can get them to seal briefly, but they break seal after 10-15mins. But after adding a spacer ring, I think the issue with the Meteor is that the nozzle is just too short. Going back through all my various tips now with the spacer, pretty much all fit and seal great. A couple extra millimeters makes all the difference.

And to preserve some sanity, I might also track down some o-rings instead of trying to get a perfectly straight cut. But honestly, these fit and sound so good as they are now, I might just leave them be.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #3,217 of 3,252

Photo Apr 13 2024, 7 45 38 PM.jpg

It is never too late to step up your o-ring game lol

Apr 14, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #3,218 of 3,252

It is never too late to step up your o-ring game lol
Sweet. I had a bunch lying around for my mechanical keyboard kits, but they are way too small for an IEM nozzle. Are those all 4.2mm diameter like the bag on top, or is that a whole wild assortment of sizes?

Also, a thought just occurred to me. I'm thinking I might need a bit more length on the left ear than the right. I thought it was a diameter difference, but I think I'm working with a depth difference between my ears because my left ear is still a bit picky with the seal. I'm wondering if doing two o-rings on the left would be such a bad idea? May as well try it.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 5:05 AM Post #3,219 of 3,252
Sweet. I had a bunch lying around for my mechanical keyboard kits, but they are way too small for an IEM nozzle. Are those all 4.2mm diameter like the bag on top, or is that a whole wild assortment of sizes?

Also, a thought just occurred to me. I'm thinking I might need a bit more length on the left ear than the right. I thought it was a diameter difference, but I think I'm working with a depth difference between my ears because my left ear is still a bit picky with the seal. I'm wondering if doing two o-rings on the left would be such a bad idea? May as well try it.
It is an assortment of sizes. The smaller/thinner ones, besides being placed at the end of the nozzle in the normal way, are often used to deep-fit a wider-bore eartip onto a narrower IEM nozzle, by placing them inside of the eartip bore but behind the tip of the IEM nozzle. Very specific, I know, but they give me more flexibility in going a size up or down.

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #3,220 of 3,252

I’d think that as long as the ear tip doesn’t fall off the IEM it’s not a bad idea. But, some IEM nozzles are so short, or have uniquely placed lips or ridges, so I think it would depend on the IEM and the ear tip.

Apr 14, 2024 at 11:29 PM Post #3,222 of 3,252
It is an assortment of sizes. The smaller/thinner ones, besides being placed at the end of the nozzle in the normal way, are often used to deep-fit a wider-bore eartip onto a narrower IEM nozzle, by placing them inside of the eartip bore but behind the tip of the IEM nozzle. Very specific, I know, but they give me more flexibility in going a size up or down.
Related story: I laughed when I put my Xelastec wide bore tips on the nozzles with spacers. They basically just ate the spacers.

As you suggest, there could be reasons one might do that intentionally. Good to know.

Apr 16, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #3,224 of 3,252
I'm wondering if it would make sense to have different sized tips for your left and right. Maybe look into Divinus or Final tips?

Final type E size for LL is: LL = outer diameter 13.5mm?

Divinus Velvet L is at 14.2mm
On my meteor, in my ear canal, i prefer using divinus velvet medium in left ear and velvet medium large in right ear canal, Dunu S&S are also very good for this iem but I feel I can wear the velvets for longer as they are more comfortable but definitely Dunu S&S if want an unbreakable seal - the large in these is a very large fit due the constant width along the length.
Quick note to say that after messing with spacers, the Divinus Velvets have been the clear winner among my ear tips with the Meteor. Not the tightest seal of the bunch, but definitely the tightest bass. Thanks for the rec, both!

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:03 AM Post #3,225 of 3,252
I would recommend spinfits or AZLA tips both have laasted me over 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back