Best full-size phones, with good looks, sound, and portability for under $100?
Jun 18, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #61 of 65
Dart, Im not so happy with the recommendations on the Shure 440.  I think you can do a lot better.  The 440 is easily the most powerful of the shure line 240/440/750dj/840.  Its bass has incredibly powerful kick, I really disliked it heavily.   I think if you are looking for a more fun and bassy experience, you need to get the 750 DJ from shure, not the 440.  They are MONITORS, they are not enjoyable listening headphones.

I've got loads of experience with all of them and the 750dj is in fact better than the ATH M50.  The 750Dj does everything well, check my thread about it if you can.  You can play classical, rock, metal, acoustic. This set was designed for fun factor and music listening, not monitoring.  They've got the best bass out of the entire lineup without question.  It is not super powerful like the 440, but its seriously deep and velvety and just so much nicer and fun.  

Once I got the 750Dj, I never used the M50 again :\
although the m50 is more comfy, thats about it really.

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #63 of 65
I just got back from a big demo session with my 24 hour old (and burned in) M50s along for the ride.  First up to bat was the Shure 440s.  If I hadn't heard the M50s I would have taken the 440s home, they are that good.  They were, to my ears anyway, much more like the M50s than unlike them.  PLENTY of bass!  I kept the M50s because they were more comfortable on my rather large head and because the 440s seemed to distort at higher volumes sooner than the M50s, at least on my iphone...  (full volume with either, the M50s sounded better).

I also listened to the ATH-M40fs which I liked but left on the shelf too...  they were more comfortable than the 440s, were "field serviceable" (hence the "fs"), but I didn't like how loosely the cups rotated... and they just felt cheaper in build.

Also up were some really cheap ATH, around the $30 range (you get what you pay for), and a rather remarkable pair of Yamaha...  the Yamaha RH5MA for about $60.  Cups that fit on the ears, not around them, what most retail sites are calling "closed" but Yamaha says is "semi-closed" right on the box, these had a very nice detail in the mids and uppers that frankly surprised me at this price range.  Not bad at all.

The M50s came back home with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back